Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEuropeanVW
Stranger
Mini Terrarium Tek
    #2679542 - 05/14/04 08:35 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I've been browsing around the forums for a little while but never had the need to post anything.  I've been gathering information about various tek's, and do to size issues I've become interested in the Mini Terrarium Tek (http://www.shroomery.org/index/par/25146).

My question is, who has actually done this and what kind of results did they end up with?  Is it truly as worry free as they make it sound?  Simply case in a 16 oz cup, put a bag over it, lightly mist the bag, and set them away for a couple of weeks.  This sounds far too easy to me, but does it work well?  Do you have need to incorporate anything to raise the humidity, or does the casing layer keep the RH high enough?

Thanks in advance.  Looking forward to my first grow.  :laugh:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineholio1
intense

Loc: toronto son
Re: Mini Terrarium Tek [Re: EuropeanVW]
    #2679897 - 05/14/04 10:08 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I guess it may work, but the yields would probably turn out pretty chinsy. I am working in a very confined area (1'X1'X10") and I am doing 12 half pints broken up into casings inside a larger tupperware for a terrarium.
The only materials you need for this that are not in that tek are a large tub for the terrarium and some small tupperwares to hold the casings.

If you want an easy, low maintenance grow then the tek you posted may work. But, I could see something going wrong at some point or another and it not working. Also, how is there any CO2 circulation without fanning? I honestly cannot say as I have never tried it, but I guess you could give it a shot.

OfflineEuropeanVW
Stranger
Re: Mini Terrarium Tek [Re: holio1]
    #2680181 - 05/14/04 11:18 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Could you post some information regarding your terrarium. I already have the containers that I would need. How do you provide the humidity and the air circulation? I have an air pump and two bubble wands, so that would be a possibility. Thanks for the information.

Oh yeah, and about the small yields, the author of the Mini Terrarium Tek said he averages about six dry grams per cup, which would be more than adequete for me. I'm not looking for pounds or anything, just enough mushrooms to last me til the next harvest. Thanks again.

Offlineholio1
intense

#2681500 - 05/15/04 09:12 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

That could work if you have the same success as him but for some reason I doubt it. If you do plan on doing it one problem I could see easily arising is pinning on the sides of the cup, so I would cover the sides and botton in tape.

Since I am casing, all I am doing for humidity is a half inch of perlite at the bottom of a tub that is 10"X10"X7", as that is the biggest I could find that fits my working space :frown:.
Inside the tub there are going to be 4 casings in tupperwares that are originally 5"X5"X3" tapering down to about 4"X4", and they will be sitting on top of the perlite. I am probably going to need to cut the tupperwares a bit because right now they dont really fit, but I'll be able to take an inch off just cutting the ridges that are there to attach a lid.
I have a pen light with an adjustable head (I can bend it) and I'll either tape it to the inside roof of the big tub or on top of it pointing down.
I will have to fan a couple times a day.

Now since you have an air pump I believe you can somehow set that up so there is no need for fanning but you will have to look around or ask others because I haven't looked into that.

Obviously a bit more work is involved with casing, but completely neglecting your grow like in the tek you posted just seems to be asking for trouble.

Good luck, What size area are you trying to fit your grow into?

OfflineEuropeanVW
Stranger
    #2681645 - 05/15/04 10:59 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

As for pinning on the sides, the cups are not see through to begin with, they are solid blue, so that shouldn't really be an issue. But I see where you're coming with saying that problems could likely arise.

I got a few tubs about the size as yours, probably a bit bigger. I could use one of these for my terrarium. And it fits perfectly in a cabinet where I planned on growing them.

As for lighting and air exchange, I plan on purchasing a low wattage plant light that I'll have on a timer to provide enough light. And I'd either use the air pump or simply fan them to maintain airflow.

Are you originally dampening the perlite and then letting it just do its thing? Or are you planning on misting it periodically?

And again, thanks for the information and advice. It's always nice to hear from someone with some insight. Thanks.

Offlinefrock
    #2681822 - 05/15/04 11:57 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

There is definately going to be some light going through the sides of the cup. Plastic cups are very thick, so I would imagine that there will be some light leaking through, I could be wrong though.

Offlineholio1
intense

#2682003 - 05/15/04 01:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I am going to saturate the perlite with 1:10 H2O2:water and then if I see the casing getting dry I will mist

With just a little research casing should be the simple answer

OfflineEuropeanVW
Stranger
    #2682055 - 05/15/04 01:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I believe I'm going to go with a casing method similar to what you're doing. I just went out to buy most of the stuff, but I still can't find vermiculite, no one around here seems to carry it.

OfflineGalidor4
Beholder
Male

Re: Mini Terrarium Tek [Re: frock]
    #15979474 - 03/22/12 04:03 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

frock said:
There is definately going to be some light going through the sides of the cup.  Plastic cups are very thick, so I would imagine that there will be some light leaking through, I could be wrong though.

It's an opaque cup.... no light is going to get through the sides, it also says crumble the cake into the cup so they'd have to grow up, the bag can't completely cover the cup so there's pretty good air flow, however, he did say use a rubber band to keep it on there, you could try putting holes in the bag? I'm going to try it with my one surviving cake from my first batch and I'll put up pictures.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation