Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinesmokedtrolli
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Specific Agar technique; what is it?
    #26793953 - 06/30/20 07:55 AM (11 days, 1 hour ago)

I remember reading about it a while ago (so my description may not be accurate to reality), but I believe it had to do with contamination. Essentially, in presence of contamination, you could cover the infected plate with another plane of Agar and then cut out a square where there's mycelium below. The mycelium would successfully grow and colonize the new top-layer, but the contamination/bacteria/etc is unable to manipulate that behavior, so it either dies or remains dormant.

Is there anything similar to this concept? I swear there was a thread either here or on mycotopia about it.

--------------------
You ever smoked and then eaten trollis?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRoger Clemency
Lovely Titles
 User Gallery

Re: Specific Agar technique; what is it? [Re: smokedtrolli]
    #26793967 - 06/30/20 08:01 AM (11 days, 1 hour ago)

It’s called a hot pour or the sandwich technique or similar.

I don’t know if it works for molds but say you have a culture you don’t want to lose and your only plate of it is getting smothered in bacteria. You pour fairly hot agar (not super hot to kill the myc) on top of what’s already there and the myc is supposed to grow up through the new layer while the bacteria can’t.

I know certain molds die at lower temps than myc so I guess you could use it in the same way with mold but it would work for a different reason.

It seems like a whole bunch of hassle to me and not worth the trouble unless it’s truly a stellar culture you don’t want to lose. Otherwise just germinate some new spores.

--------------------
The sadly married set up alibis no harm no regret, hoping they meet an angel in bed that can wrestle the devil right out of their heads ReyeP

Offlinesmokedtrolli
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Re: Specific Agar technique; what is it? [Re: Roger Clemency]
    #26793987 - 06/30/20 08:10 AM (11 days, 1 hour ago)

Ooh. Bummer that it's not a particularly viable or versatile technique but that is definitely what I was thinking of. Thank you!

--------------------
You ever smoked and then eaten trollis?

InvisiblePastywhyteM
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Specific Agar technique; what is it? [Re: smokedtrolli]
    #26793997 - 06/30/20 08:19 AM (11 days, 58 minutes ago)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation