Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Coir, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineCongame
Stranger
Block shrunk right before first harvest... now a lot of sidepins are forming
    #26791481 - 06/29/20 06:56 AM (9 days, 1 hour ago)

Like the headliner states just before I harvest a monotub for the first time, It shrinks significantly in size so that the sides gets exposed to oxygen which then results in a ton of sidepins...

My substrate consist of coco coir and vermiculite.

This picture is just before the first harvest of one of 2 monotubs that both shrunk and are now mainly producing sidepins.

Here are som shots of the current state of the block about 5 days after harvest.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineAtmozFear
just a shade of myself
Male

Re: Block shrunk right before first harvest... now a lot of sidepins are forming [Re: Congame]
    #26791487 - 06/29/20 07:01 AM (9 days, 1 hour ago)

easy fix... use a trash bag liner

--------------------

OfflineCongame
Stranger
Re: Block shrunk right before first harvest... now a lot of sidepins are forming [Re: AtmozFear]
    #26791497 - 06/29/20 07:06 AM (9 days, 57 minutes ago)

Quote:

AtmozFear said:
easy fix... use a trash bag liner

So having a plastic fitting snug around the block would do the trick?!... I could try to put it in under when I harvest the sides..

OfflineKmacmo
Of the red pepper association
Other

Loc: Upinthehills
Re: Block shrunk right before first harvest... now a lot of sidepins are forming [Re: Congame]
    #26791568 - 06/29/20 07:56 AM (9 days, 7 minutes ago)

It has to be a liner, it needs to shrink and 'stick' with the cake.
It might not work as good if you don't put the liner on from first flush as it hasn't shrunk to the size of the cake it will still have air getting at the sides of the substrate.

--------------------

OnlineAtmozFear
just a shade of myself
Male

#26791575 - 06/29/20 08:01 AM (9 days, 3 minutes ago)

:whathesaid:

--------------------

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger

Loc: Gaming the system
Re: Block shrunk right before first harvest... now a lot of sidepins are forming [Re: AtmozFear]
    #26791598 - 06/29/20 08:17 AM (8 days, 23 hours ago)

Damn! How stoked were you with that canopy for a first mono lol.

Once the block shrinks up all you can do is try to maintain the surface. Sidepins aren’t a big deal though especially once the sub shrinks up and there’s plenty of room.

--------------------
LAGM2020

OfflineCongame
Stranger
Re: Block shrunk right before first harvest... now a lot of sidepins are forming [Re: A.k.a]
    #26793541 - 06/30/20 12:36 AM (8 days, 7 hours ago)

Quote:

A.k.a said:
Damn! How stoked were you with that canopy for a first mono lol.

Once the block shrinks up all you can do is try to maintain the surface. Sidepins aren’t a big deal though especially once the sub shrinks up and there’s plenty of room.

My first two monotubs performed like this so I was beyond stoked :grin:
Yes, it seems like there is plenty of space for them to grow on the sides as of now but will defiantly use a liner next time... But where do I find such a liner that will stick and shrink together with the block, I'm from europe and is not familiar with the product?!

Thanks for all the advice, peace! :thumbup:

Offlinealaskappalachian
peakbagger

Loc: The 49th Dimension
    #26793578 - 06/30/20 01:11 AM (8 days, 6 hours ago)

Cheap trash bag will work great.  When I used liners, I actually liked the thinner bags because they hugged the sub well.  You can fold a square of plastic from a roll at the corners and cut the excess as another option.  IME liners are just a handicap that hide trich when it occurs below deck.  Also, it's not oxygen causing the side pins.  It's improper surface conditions and moisture in between the sub and tub making a perfect micro-climate they take advantage of.  You'll dial in conditions eventually and only get one or two here and there.  Best of luck!  With a nice canopy like that you are way on the right track!  Awesome! :rockon:

--------------------

Edited by alaskappalachian (06/30/20 01:18 AM)

Offlinemetaphoric
Mr. Bater
Male User Gallery

Re: Block shrunk right before first harvest... now a lot of sidepins are forming [Re: alaskappalachian]
    #26793771 - 06/30/20 05:44 AM (8 days, 2 hours ago)

Exactly what he said ^

--------------------
:mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom:
:mushroom:                  :mushroom2:                :mushroom:
:mushroom:            :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:            :mushroom:
:mushroom:      :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:      :mushroom:
:mushroom::cookiemonster: BEHOLD :elmo::mushroom:
:mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom:

OfflineA.k.a
Stranger

Loc: Gaming the system
Re: Block shrunk right before first harvest... now a lot of sidepins are forming [Re: metaphoric]
    #26793995 - 06/30/20 08:16 AM (7 days, 23 hours ago)

Shoeboxes I used grocery bags anything else trashbags. Cheaper and thinner the better.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Boomr Bag, Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Coir, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation