Home | Community | Message Board


World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineRathilien
Weed Eater
I'm a teapot


Registered: 06/17/20
Posts: 39
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Last seen: 28 minutes, 51 seconds
Edible Weeds :O
    #26791121 - 06/29/20 01:51 AM (8 days, 23 hours ago)

Howdy-Ho Shroomerinos!

Anybody else into edible weeds? I know I know....”Rathilien, what are you talking about?”. But It’s true! If you didn’t already know - many of the weeds that surround us everyday are not only edible, they actually outpace many of the common, highly nutritious, expensive vegetables that we buy at the supermarket! Sorry, I’m not talking about your favorite “weed”, but bear with me - this is tangentially related to your favorite edibles because you’ll be out in nature foraging...so why not? I’ve found myself distracted looking at these edibles when I ought to be focussing on their mushroom brethren, it definitely expands your horizons.

This kinda blew my mind when I stumbled across it, and in fact it’s how I renewed my vigor to again look into growing mushrooms which first interested me a couple years back, but all just seemed too complicated (It’s all coming together now, but man I could use a cubey spore print if you catch my drift friend! Brother! We look out for each other!). I digress.

Just to name a few of the “Top Edible Weeds” based on my readings. Mostly for Australians but many of these are worldwide I believe, and of course there are many variants and different names based on regionality:

  • Amaranth


  • Blackberry nightshade - The Australian version, not one of the UK variants which is deadly! Also only ever eat the ripe berries, not the green ones. The green ones on our version are also poisonous


  • Chickweed Not to be confused with Dickweed - thats another thing brother. You eat a dickweed and you’re gonna feel different about yourself in the morning.


  • Cleavers - They’re so pretty in a cluster! But damn, they’re sticky little buggers. Eating these is a little like eating Velcro. Don’t ask me why I know that. You really, really, do not want to know.


  • Dandelion!! This one is impressive, all parts are edible; the leaves as a nutritious salad green and the root can be made into a delicious coffee substitute. Why you want a coffee substitute I cant even begin to fathom but hey live your life.


  • Mallow This one is bloody everywhere here in Melbourne. Blow me over and call me Charlie.


  • Nasturtium I love this one. Its an incredible wasabi substitute. Lots of texts say its “peppery”, nah...waaaay more like wasabi. Goes straight up your nose! The sensation, not the flower. Don’t put the flower up your nose. Unless you want to...I mean whatever floats your boat right? Who am I to tell you what to do.


  • Stinging nettle! Cook it up of course otherwise this ones gonna be a struggle to swallow (That’s what she said).


  • Oxalis (Sour sob) The sour taste probably rivals lemon. Look how expensive lemons are here in Oz! Crazy. Go eat a sob ya SOB.


  • Purslane (Pigweed)


  • Sow Thistle A classic “weed” which is also everywhere! These sorts of things look nasty, you would never guess it was edible and highly nutritious.


  • Wild Brasicas & Wild Lettuce



And really the list goes on.

Its obviously important to harvest in areas where there hasn’t been herbicide or pesticide spray, preferably away from roads and traffic, and clear of biological waste (don’t eata da poopoo).

Also super important to understand poisonous lookalikes and get a guide field guide - but I dont need to preach to experienced mushroom peeps the importance of knowing what you’re eating!

Any other members have experience with edible “weeds”? Apparently other cultures (such as Greek) already utilize these “weeds” in their day-to-day edibles, which I think is just incredible.
So what do you say? You wanna weed kid? I got a special just for you...
You may choose only one
I wanna weed!
I hate myself.


Votes accepted from (06/28/20 08:43 AM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll



Edited by Rathilien (06/29/20 01:54 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJizzMasterZero
Stranger
 User Gallery

Registered: 11/30/16
Posts: 723
Last seen: 2 days, 41 minutes
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Rathilien]
    #26791153 - 06/29/20 02:38 AM (8 days, 22 hours ago)

I’ve been interested in this for over 10 years. I’ve got several books, but I really don’t eat much of it. Initially I wanted to be able to camp in the Appalachians, catch two or three fish and forage the rest of my meal. What I eventually found out is that there are more edible plants in areas that get disturbed by mankind a few times a year, and less in the forest. Vacant lots and overgrown gardens are a great place to find edible greens like lambs quarters, dandelions, and a few other similar things. I’ve got wood sorrel all over in my backyard, and it pops up in every potted plant that goes outside. It has a lemon flavor, looks good, and is a good addition to a salad. Check out “Eat the Weeds” on YouTube, it’s a great resource on edible plants and his method of ID is worth noting.


--------------------


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLifeUnderAwnoS
I'm a teapot

Registered: 07/04/16
Posts: 639
Loc: growing out of perlite
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: JizzMasterZero]
    #26791165 - 06/29/20 02:47 AM (8 days, 22 hours ago)

Spilanthes oleracea is a weed in many places and is quite tasty.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRathilien
Weed Eater
I'm a teapot


Registered: 06/17/20
Posts: 39
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Last seen: 28 minutes, 51 seconds
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: LifeUnderAwno]
    #26791172 - 06/29/20 02:51 AM (8 days, 22 hours ago)

Quote:

JizzMasterZero said:
I’ve been interested in this for over 10 years. I’ve got several books, but I really don’t eat much of it. Initially I wanted to be able to camp in the Appalachians, catch two or three fish and forage the rest of my meal. What I eventually found out is that there are more edible plants in areas that get disturbed by mankind a few times a year, and less in the forest. Vacant lots and overgrown gardens are a great place to find edible greens like lambs quarters, dandelions, and a few other similar things. I’ve got wood sorrel all over in my backyard, and it pops up in every potted plant that goes outside. It has a lemon flavor, looks good, and is a good addition to a salad. Check out “Eat the Weeds” on YouTube, it’s a great resource on edible plants and his method of ID is worth noting.




Would you recommend any of those books? I have been reading this one one which was actually written by a Melbourne couple and it's been great for weeds in the local suburban area:



Re weeds being in disturbed areas - I guess this is part of the reason I thought this is relevant to mushroom hunters, my understanding is that most active mushrooms follow a similar behaviour pattern in that they tend to follow us around! So why not know the edible weeds we could also harvest while looking for our mushrooms :smile:

Already familiar with "eat the weeds" on Youtube, not a bad channel :smile:

Quote:

LifeUnderAwno said:
Spilanthes oleracea is a weed in many places and is quite tasty.




Hadn't heard of or seen that one before, I had to Google it. Looks perty.


--------------------
**Very receptive to recieving a cubensis spore print from a kind Shroomerite**


Inoculate Melbourne 2020!
Edible Weeds :shocked:

I wouldn’t say I’m a tree-hugging hippy, but I do like to give those thick-ass trees a solid slap on their trunks as I walk by.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAllium
 User Gallery

Registered: 03/16/20
Posts: 1,546
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Rathilien]
    #26791395 - 06/29/20 07:44 AM (8 days, 17 hours ago)

Oh man, I love this thread!

I actually have quite a few of your edible weeds growing in my garden as well :thumbup:

Do you know anything about Bull Thistle?


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRathilien
Weed Eater
I'm a teapot


Registered: 06/17/20
Posts: 39
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Last seen: 28 minutes, 51 seconds
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Allium]
    #26792727 - 06/29/20 07:25 PM (8 days, 6 hours ago)

Not familiar with Bull Thistle though after a quick Google search it looks like he's edible too!



Quote:

Bull thistle root can be eaten and is best used when mixed with other vegetables. Young flower stems can be cooked and young leaves can be eaten in a salad or tossed into a sauté. The taste is somewhat bland but the prickles MUST BE removed from the leaves before the leaves can be eaten! The flower buds can be cooked and used like globe artichokes, but they are smaller. Bull thistle seeds can be roasted. (Bull thistle root is rich in inulin.)




I quite like the purple flower on this one. Fairly sure I've never seen it here in Australia though.


Edited by Rathilien (06/29/20 07:28 PM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAllium
 User Gallery

Registered: 03/16/20
Posts: 1,546
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Rathilien]
    #26792980 - 06/29/20 09:16 PM (8 days, 4 hours ago)

Thanks mate :cool: I dug up some small specimens back in early spring and put them in my yard, and now one of them is taller than I am! They are quite attractive with their purple flowers,and mine are just about to bloom:excited: It's become naturalized in Australia, so maybe you can find some of your own someday :thumbup:

do you ever eat your purslane? I love it,and it's so nutritious! I've just let it take over my whole garden!


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRathilien
Weed Eater
I'm a teapot


Registered: 06/17/20
Posts: 39
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Last seen: 28 minutes, 51 seconds
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Allium]
    #26793101 - 06/29/20 10:01 PM (8 days, 3 hours ago)

Didn’t realize they were in Australia - I’m sure now that I’m on this weedy journey they’ll stand out to me when I do encounter them.

This is all quite new to me but I’m pretty parrionate about it. I haven’t eaten purslane but I’ve definitely heard good things about its nutritional content. So far I’ve had Nasturtium, chickweed, mallow, oxalis, and cleavers. Really surprised at how wasabi-like nasturtium is!

Actually I had a scare the other week. I ate an umbrel flower of a plant that I thought was dill, but the taste was terribly bitter. I spat it out and washed my mouth out, quickly consulted my field guide only to find that the leaves of the plant I ate had a horrifying resemblance to hemlock! Except the leaves were shorter and smaller. I felt a bit dizzy and light-headed, but somehow giddy - almost drunk like. Uh oh.

Luckily I was at an inner-city community vegetable garden, and there were plenty of people around - also, I figured, there surely isn’t going to be hemlock in a community garden which is I why I experimented with eating and identifying weeds there in the first place! Still, it was scary.

A volunteer showed up and I asked her what the plant was. Parsley! When it flowers, it looks a lot like hemlock imho, as apparently do many of those species of plants.

A lot of poisonings happen every year from people foraging for wild celery or wild parsley and mistaking hemlock for them. The similarity is way too close for a newbie, I’ll pass on those umbrel-flower species until I feel very confident about it, because thinking you might have just eaten something poinsonous is...well..fucking terrifying my friend! (Have a mini "Into The Wild" moment)


Edited by Rathilien (06/30/20 12:02 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleLifeUnderAwnoS
I'm a teapot

Registered: 07/04/16
Posts: 639
Loc: growing out of perlite
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Rathilien]
    #26793429 - 06/30/20 12:53 AM (8 days, 39 minutes ago)

Quote:

Rathilien said:
Not familiar with Bull Thistle though after a quick Google search it looks like he's edible too!



Quote:

Bull thistle root can be eaten and is best used when mixed with other vegetables. Young flower stems can be cooked and young leaves can be eaten in a salad or tossed into a sauté. The taste is somewhat bland but the prickles MUST BE removed from the leaves before the leaves can be eaten! The flower buds can be cooked and used like globe artichokes, but they are smaller. Bull thistle seeds can be roasted. (Bull thistle root is rich in inulin.)




I quite like the purple flower on this one. Fairly sure I've never seen it here in Australia though.




I'd send you some seeds, but Cirsium vulgare is extremely invasive, deep deep tap roots and all the spikes on it are VERY aggressive, nothing wants to touch it except bees! And bees love it! It is common for it to invade livestock animal pastures, it's a WEED. The purple flower is immensely beautiful though, they can get a couple inches wide, and 2-4ft tall, taller if you let them.


Edited by LifeUnderAwno (06/30/20 12:56 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAllium
 User Gallery

Registered: 03/16/20
Posts: 1,546
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: LifeUnderAwno]
    #26793796 - 06/30/20 08:06 AM (7 days, 17 hours ago)

Quote:

Rathilien said:
Didn’t realize they were in Australia - I’m sure now that I’m on this weedy journey they’ll stand out to me when I do encounter them.

This is all quite new to me but I’m pretty parrionate about it. I haven’t eaten purslane but I’ve definitely heard good things about its nutritional content. So far I’ve had Nasturtium, chickweed, mallow, oxalis, and cleavers. Really surprised at how wasabi-like nasturtium is!

Actually I had a scare the other week. I ate an umbrel flower of a plant that I thought was dill, but the taste was terribly bitter. I spat it out and washed my mouth out, quickly consulted my field guide only to find that the leaves of the plant I ate had a horrifying resemblance to hemlock! Except the leaves were shorter and smaller. I felt a bit dizzy and light-headed, but somehow giddy - almost drunk like. Uh oh.

Luckily I was at an inner-city community vegetable garden, and there were plenty of people around - also, I figured, there surely isn’t going to be hemlock in a community garden which is I why I experimented with eating and identifying weeds there in the first place! Still, it was scary.

A volunteer showed up and I asked her what the plant was. Parsley! When it flowers, it looks a lot like hemlock imho, as apparently do many of those species of plants.

A lot of poisonings happen every year from people foraging for wild celery or wild parsley and mistaking hemlock for them. The similarity is way too close for a newbie, I’ll pass on those umbrel-flower species until I feel very confident about it, because thinking you might have just eaten something poinsonous is...well..fucking terrifying my friend! (Have a mini "Into The Wild" moment)




Yes they are, and I believe they are invasive.

Purslane is loaded with omega 3 fatty acids just like fish, and is the only plant on the planet that has them, I do believe. it's really good in smoothies,and when eaten in a salads it tastes like really crunchy like lettuce.

Yeah man, be careful out there, and never eat anything until it's identified one hundred and one percent :thumbup: I'm just glad you're ok :cool:

I'm going to try and find a good guide to native medicinal and edible plants, so I can start collecting, and relocating them to my yard. So far I have quite a few different species.

Isn't this all exciting :excited:

I'm really glad that you made this post mate :awesomenod:

Quote:

LifeUnderAwno said:
Quote:

Rathilien said:
Not familiar with Bull Thistle though after a quick Google search it looks like he's edible too!



Quote:

Bull thistle root can be eaten and is best used when mixed with other vegetables. Young flower stems can be cooked and young leaves can be eaten in a salad or tossed into a sauté. The taste is somewhat bland but the prickles MUST BE removed from the leaves before the leaves can be eaten! The flower buds can be cooked and used like globe artichokes, but they are smaller. Bull thistle seeds can be roasted. (Bull thistle root is rich in inulin.)




I quite like the purple flower on this one. Fairly sure I've never seen it here in Australia though.




I'd send you some seeds, but Cirsium vulgare is extremely invasive, deep deep tap roots and all the spikes on it are VERY aggressive, nothing wants to touch it except bees! And bees love it! It is common for it to invade livestock animal pastures, it's a WEED. The purple flower is immensely beautiful though, they can get a couple inches wide, and 2-4ft tall, taller if you let them.






Yes, this is what I have, it's just about to bloom too! I'll post pics when they do.


Edited by Allium (06/30/20 08:08 AM)


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRathilien
Weed Eater
I'm a teapot


Registered: 06/17/20
Posts: 39
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Last seen: 28 minutes, 51 seconds
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Allium]
    #26793952 - 06/30/20 09:55 AM (7 days, 15 hours ago)

Quote:

Allium said:
Purslane is loaded with omega 3 fatty acids just like fish, and is the only plant on the planet that has them, I do believe. it's really good in smoothies,and when eaten in a salads it tastes like really crunchy like lettuce.

Yeah man, be careful out there, and never eat anything until it's identified one hundred and one percent :thumbup: I'm just glad you're ok :cool:

I'm going to try and find a good guide to native medicinal and edible plants, so I can start collecting, and relocating them to my yard. So far I have quite a few different species.

Isn't this all exciting :excited:

I'm really glad that you made this post mate :awesomenod:





Can't wait to try purslane, but there's not much in the city area at the moment - my understanding is probably more of a spring-summer type weed. I can wait, but definitely look forward to it as I've heard about it's incredible omega-3s :laugh:

Are you in Australia? The field guide I posted earlier in this thread is really good and has 20+ of the most common edible weeds, and was even written by a Melbourne couple! Apparently they do a weed-tour type thing in August, which isn't far off, so I plan to do that and get some actual hands on experience from people who know what they're doing (one scare was enough for me!). It's ridiculous how exciting weeds can be, but I really believe it's the future of permaculture gardening - if only more people understood how nutritious and *free* they are!
  :chew:


--------------------
**Very receptive to recieving a cubensis spore print from a kind Shroomerite**


Inoculate Melbourne 2020!
Edible Weeds :shocked:

I wouldn’t say I’m a tree-hugging hippy, but I do like to give those thick-ass trees a solid slap on their trunks as I walk by.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinegreenmachine78
Stranger

Registered: 09/25/19
Posts: 16
Last seen: 2 days, 9 hours
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Rathilien]
    #26794006 - 06/30/20 10:29 AM (7 days, 15 hours ago)

This is great.  I don't kill anything in my yard.  Always munching on some kind of weed while working in the yard.  They want you to kill them because they are beneficial.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAllium
 User Gallery

Registered: 03/16/20
Posts: 1,546
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Rathilien]
    #26794263 - 06/30/20 12:49 PM (7 days, 12 hours ago)

Quote:

Rathilien said:
Quote:

Allium said:
Purslane is loaded with omega 3 fatty acids just like fish, and is the only plant on the planet that has them, I do believe. it's really good in smoothies,and when eaten in a salads it tastes like really crunchy like lettuce.

Yeah man, be careful out there, and never eat anything until it's identified one hundred and one percent :thumbup: I'm just glad you're ok :cool:

I'm going to try and find a good guide to native medicinal and edible plants, so I can start collecting, and relocating them to my yard. So far I have quite a few different species.

Isn't this all exciting :excited:

I'm really glad that you made this post mate :awesomenod:





Can't wait to try purslane, but there's not much in the city area at the moment - my understanding is probably more of a spring-summer type weed. I can wait, but definitely look forward to it as I've heard about it's incredible omega-3s :laugh:

Are you in Australia? The field guide I posted earlier in this thread is really good and has 20+ of the most common edible weeds, and was even written by a Melbourne couple! Apparently they do a weed-tour type thing in August, which isn't far off, so I plan to do that and get some actual hands on experience from people who know what they're doing (one scare was enough for me!). It's ridiculous how exciting weeds can be, but I really believe it's the future of permaculture gardening - if only more people understood how nutritious and *free* they are!
  :chew:





Oh yeah, I'm not in Australia, I'm in the states, and yes purslane here is a spring summer herb.

However, id give anything to live in Australia man, you don't know just how good you fellas have it!


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRathilien
Weed Eater
I'm a teapot


Registered: 06/17/20
Posts: 39
Loc: Melbourne Flag
Last seen: 28 minutes, 51 seconds
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Allium]
    #26795563 - 06/30/20 10:51 PM (7 days, 2 hours ago)

Well I quite like living here :grin:

We should make this the official “Weed Eaters” thread. :chew: There’s way more interest here than I expected, which is fantastic.

I haven’t eaten a great deal of the edible species so far but it’s definitely a journey I’m currently on. The field guide I have includes a few recipes and such. I’m excited for spring! I’ll be the weirdo out there collecting weeds lol

Looking forward to trying purslane, but more so Dandelion. I want to make that “coffee substitute” drink with the roots :coffee:


--------------------
**Very receptive to recieving a cubensis spore print from a kind Shroomerite**


Inoculate Melbourne 2020!
Edible Weeds :shocked:

I wouldn’t say I’m a tree-hugging hippy, but I do like to give those thick-ass trees a solid slap on their trunks as I walk by.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleAllium
 User Gallery

Registered: 03/16/20
Posts: 1,546
Re: Edible Weeds :O [Re: Rathilien]
    #26795585 - 06/30/20 11:02 PM (7 days, 2 hours ago)

Yes man, I'm going to go out and see what I can find when it stops raining tomorrow :thumbup:

I have yet to try dandelion root but the greens are really good. I'd like to Make some wine someday too.


Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* hemlock
mycopsycho
1,144 13 08/04/04 12:24 PM
by mycopsycho
* Purslane!!!
( 1 2 3 all )
kactus.brand.g 2,196 48 09/12/16 05:04 PM
by gopener
* milk thistle? thedudenj 909 9 10/31/06 02:25 PM
by thedudenj
* Poison hemlock: seeds, plants, bulk herb/roots jonnyshaggs420 1,581 4 06/08/02 08:07 PM
by jonnyshaggs420
* jimsin weed ?????? guitarman 3,247 11 02/06/04 11:25 AM
by Mitchnast
* pesticides that are safe for edible cactus mile69 914 8 07/14/03 11:22 PM
by neuro
* whats wrong with my weed...? *pics*
( 1 2 3 all )
eligal 4,858 51 08/25/05 05:06 AM
by Vertigo6911
* weed.. that doesn't look like weed??
( 1 2 all )
psylo33o 6,421 20 01/15/03 09:30 AM
by psylo33o

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: karode13, naum, Mostly_Harmless
179 topic views. 0 members, 14 guests and 6 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Print Topic ]
Search this thread:
Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Copyright 1997-2020 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.082 seconds spending 0.04 seconds on 19 queries.