Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
Loc: SoCal
Removing standing water in tubs
    #26792939 - 06/29/20 06:58 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I’ve been trying to make Caps’ SOS tek work with unmodded tubs for a few months. I kept getting pools of water that I’m sure is the source of most of my contams. I then tried adding holes to the tubs, and I’m STILL getting lots of standing water in the bottom of the tubs. I make all my tubs the same way, some flush beautifully, some end up swimming. I need to find a solution that works consistently. Can anyone offer advice on which of these 3 options are the best? Don't bother saying just to pour it out. I often can't even look at my tubs for 36 hour intervals. That's too long for water to collect and sit.

1. Add more FAE holes. Tub below is my current hole config.
2. Use a liner.
3. Add some pin holes on the bottom to drain the water. I’d nest it in another tub to catch the drainage.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStipe-n CapMDiscord
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Removing standing water in tubs [Re: badsponge]
    #26792967 - 06/29/20 07:10 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

How do they look inside? Have you tried using less water?

Water to coir recipes almost never work across the board for all types of coir, it's important to check for field capacity  each time before spawning.

I'm not sure who posted this originally but this should help:

Edited by Stipe-n Cap (06/29/20 07:22 PM)

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
Re: Removing standing water in tubs [Re: Stipe-n Cap]
    #26792999 - 06/29/20 07:25 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

For most of the last year I just used coir. But recently tried experimenting with coir and verm. The 2 tubs below were a 650g coir brick, 2qts water, 1.5qt verm, and they kicked ass. Other tubs made the same way at the same time either got too dry or went for a swim. I use consistent methods and get inconsistent results. Drives me fuckin crazy.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26793019 - 06/29/20 07:30 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

8 cups of water to 650gr of coir shouldn't be too much especially with added verm. Sounds to me like you likely have a spawn issue and not a water issue.

If your field capacity is good and you're getting mixed results I'd star questioning my spawn. Those two tubs are obviously gtg. My bet is on spawn.

Edit* if some tubs are drying out while other's aren't you may have some kind of environmental inconsistency, maybe a fan or an AC vent causing some to dry quickly?

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26793040 - 06/29/20 07:38 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

But the spawn wouldn't affect water accumulation...right? It's like I have gremlins who sneak in while I'm asleep and pour water into some tubs, but ignore others. Some tubs end up so soggy and contam out, I'm sure it's due to moisture. I also usually make and spawn several bags at once, and those are all done the same way.

Edit: I have an air purifier a few feet away from my tub rack. It blows straight up.

Edited by badsponge (06/29/20 07:45 PM)

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26793053 - 06/29/20 07:44 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah that could be your culprit, fans in the room create air currents that will dry out tubs. Try turning it off and see what happens. I'd still question your spawn as well.

Edited by Stipe-n Cap (06/29/20 07:54 PM)

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26793069 - 06/29/20 07:48 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I know how I mix the coir isn't an issue. I blend the spawn and coir very thoroughly before tubbing. I'm leaning toward the pinhole option to drain the water, as standing water is my usual problem. Do you see any negatives about that? I'd rather not do liners, and I think more FAE holes would just make it drier on top.

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26793075 - 06/29/20 07:51 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Water in the bottom of the tub between the liner isn’t really a huge issue for contams IME. It’s not like it’s super nutrient rich or nothing. You’re going to have a fair bit of condensation happening in a tub full of water with a living organism generating heat. If it’s huge amounts you’ve probably got a competitor in there already generating extra heat.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26794106 - 06/30/20 09:38 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

So this is pretty similar to your situation, how it shouldn't look:
excessive condensation, excessive pooling of water on substrate surface, lack of pins after colonization.

Notice the blob in the middle pic,the off yellow metabolites  middle right of the last pic, I'm positive this sub has a bacterial/trich infection. Everything in these pics indicate the presence of competing organisms.

Now I've gone through the process of elimination and have discovered that my coir comes impregnated with trichoderma from the manufacturer and the environment where this tub was spawned has a dirt floor with visible mold/mildew and had a fan in the room (room was also mid 80s and housed a cat that slept on my tubs), my spawn has tested clean.

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
Re: Removing standing water in tubs [Re: Pastywhyte]
    #26794175 - 06/30/20 10:13 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Water in the bottom of the tub between the liner isn’t really a huge issue for contams IME.

But I don't use liners, and if I don't check them for a 36 hour stretch, I might have almost 100ml water to dump out. It doesn't sound like much, but it's enough that in a tub the water line is up to the substrate surface.

Just curious why do you use liners? You're a long time grower that knows your shit, but I've seen so many other people say negative things about them, so why do you think otherwise?

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26794203 - 06/30/20 10:27 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

p9hu7 said:
So this is pretty similar to your situation, how it shouldn't look:
excessive condensation, excessive pooling of water on substrate surface, lack of pins after colonization.

YES. I get that a lot. I'm very consistent with my sterile procedure, I often get jackpot flushes right next to failed tubs, so I thought excess moisture was the most likely culprit for contams. What type of coir did you find was contamed? I've been using Eco Earth. But I just ran out, another grower friend told me the coir at hydro supply stores is much better quality, so I decided to try it even though it cost about twice as much. Have yet to spawn a tub with it though.

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26794221 - 06/30/20 10:35 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Be careful of coco brick from canna coir, it's sold in hydroponic stores and has trichoderma added for plant health. It's the brand that's been causing me problems lately.

InvisiblePastywhyteMDiscord
Say hello to my little friend
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26794365 - 06/30/20 11:40 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

badsponge said:
Quote:

Pastywhyte said:
Water in the bottom of the tub between the liner isn’t really a huge issue for contams IME.

But I don't use liners, and if I don't check them for a 36 hour stretch, I might have almost 100ml water to dump out. It doesn't sound like much, but it's enough that in a tub the water line is up to the substrate surface.

Just curious why do you use liners? You're a long time grower that knows your shit, but I've seen so many other people say negative things about them, so why do you think otherwise?

I use liners because I don’t like scrubbing tubs. They make cleanup easier. I’ve done tubs without and I just prefer to do em with.

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26794404 - 06/30/20 12:05 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Huh, that is an extremely good reason. You may find this hard to believe, but I also don't like scrubbing tubs :grin:. I think I'll try liners first because then:
1. I won't have to poke holes in my tubs and possibly re-plug them.
2. Less cleaning! :heart:

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26794405 - 06/30/20 12:06 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

p9hu7 said:
Be careful of coco brick from canna coir, it's sold in hydroponic stores and has trichoderma added for plant health

I panicked a bit when I read that bc I can't return it. But I called the store, verified it's not that brand. I think he said it was Coir Gro? I'll try just one tub of it. If it trichs out right away, I only lose one tub.

OfflineORCALISTA1111
Coastie
Male User Gallery
Re: Removing standing water in tubs, keep patience? [Re: badsponge]
    #27408583 - 07/30/21 02:46 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

So first off HI to all my fellow mycology lovers.

We are doing the Monotub technique. I layered my sterilized horse manure and grain bag just as suggested by North Spore, then once it colonized across the surface, I laid down an inch of DRY Coco Coir.

I sprayed it heavily, and I mean heavily with water, but found several days later that about 3/4" down the Coir was still dry.

The mycelium still looked great, smelled great so I drenched the Coir again with the sprayer. This time I ended up with floating water and floating substrate because it had no way to drain off. So got the Dremel and drilled pen sized holes in the bottom of the tub.

This entire time, perfect temperature perfect lighting perfect FAE and perfect humidity but still NOTHING pushing up through the Coir. I wrote North Spore and they said to just remain patient.

It's been 9 days and starting to feel as if Coco coir wasn't the greatest idea. Still no contamination under the Coir in the mycelium and still smells great.

Do we just need patience?

--------------------
Time is Merely an Illusion.

Einstein

Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Removing standing water in tubs, keep patience? [Re: ORCALISTA1111]
    #27408592 - 07/30/21 02:52 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Did Northshore recommend this nonsense? To use sterilized manure and dry coir?

Also, that post above about canna coir needs to be ignored, lol. :facepalm:

And why did you chose this thread to revive to ask that question?

Edited by Stipe-n Cap (07/30/21 03:01 PM)

OfflineORCALISTA1111
Coastie
Male User Gallery
Re: Removing standing water in tubs, keep patience? [Re: Stipe-n Cap]
    #27408627 - 07/30/21 03:33 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

The Coco Coir was only dry upon laying it down over the colonized mycelium. I soaked it with the sprayer but it didn't wet the coir any further underneath the surface then 3/4 of an inch.

I've used sterilized manure in the past, but last time I boiled the coir the day prior to adding to my tub.

The thread is titled standing water in tubs, so don't know the problem. Was simply not trying to create a new thread.

Are you suggesting removing the coir at this point, because I'm just concerned to disturb any potential pinners and the mycelium underneath.

Thank you again.

--------------------

Einstein

OfflineORCALISTA1111
Coastie
Male User Gallery
    #27408634 - 07/30/21 03:47 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

p

Or should I consider thinning out the coir because an inch thick definitely seems to be too much.

--------------------

Einstein

OfflineORCALISTA1111
Coastie
Male User Gallery
    #27408643 - 07/30/21 03:57 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

And to answer your question regarding North Spore, yes it is their version of the monotub tek

--------------------

Einstein

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract