Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedfittlesticks
Stranger
why not use a grow kit?
    #26792628 - 06/29/20 06:34 PM (8 days, 6 hours ago)

Hopefully I have uploaded the photos correctly here.  But it should show 3 jars that were inoculated on June 2nd and they all seem to be doing well.  One is lagging behind the other two.  My question is regarding the disdain a lot people seem to have over purchasing a grow kit.  I went and bought one.  it came with 12 mason jars, two tubs, lights, water thermometer, etc.  The jars were filled with sterile substrate.  My first attempt failed because the lame spore vendor sold me a bunch of dead spores.  2nd vendor was the charm.  Prior to my 2nd attempt I tossed out 6 of the jar substrate that came with the kit, and mixed up my own pftek that I sterilized.  I did this to see if maybe the grow kit company sent me bad substrate.  They didn't.  My mycelium is growing well in 10 jars. 5 with my homemade pftek, and 5 with the original pftek that came with the kit.  The growth maybe a bit faster in my subtrate that I created, but that may be because the kit substrate probably has less water in it since it was used prior with the dead spores.  So as far as I can tell, buying a kit from a reputable company is not a bad idea.  Yes, you may be able to save a few bucks doing it all on your own, but running around all over to buy your own tubs, vermiculite, perlite, etc. can slow you down. 

Only question I have now is, how do I transfer them to the fruiting chamber if all 10 jars are not at the same full growth phase?  I don't want to keep some of them in the jars too long while a few others play catch up and I need the tubs to create the fruiting chamber.  Am I making too big a deal out of this?  Any thoughts?

[embed=,] [/embed]

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineInfraredRick
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Midwest, USA
Re: why not use a grow kit? [Re: dfittlesticks]
    #26793150 - 06/29/20 10:19 PM (8 days, 2 hours ago)

Couple thoughts....

Grow kits usually suck for a bunch of reasons. But to your only question...

Use your fastest current spawn jar to G2G to as many quart jars of oats your PC can sterilize. Next, figure out what volume of spawn you'll need for the container you're going to use and wait till that many jars are fully colonized before prepping your coir and then make the shoes/tub. Now wait and watch your inoculated jars AND your shoes/tubs. Begin to harvest fruit and use the fastest of the spawn jars to G2G another bunch of quarts of prepped oats. See how this looping process rolls? Good luck!

--------------------
Inspiration move me brightly.[gradient:#C7C7D4,#CFD4C7]y[/gradient]

Offlinemetaphoric
Mr. Bater
Male User Gallery

Re: why not use a grow kit? [Re: InfraredRick]
    #26793749 - 06/30/20 07:29 AM (7 days, 17 hours ago)

@InfraredRick He can't G2G because he's not colonizing grains. He's using pf tek.

@Dfittlesticks, transfer your jars to the fruiting chamber whenever they are ready, they don't all need to transfer at the same time. A jar is ready for transfer 1 week after it has finished colonizing. Make sure there's plenty of humidity so they don't dry out.

The main reason you should build your own jars is really just the cost of buying premade. If money isn't an issue than its no big deal I guess, assuming your vendor did a good job making them.

--------------------
:mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom:
:mushroom:                  :mushroom2:                :mushroom:
:mushroom:            :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:            :mushroom:
:mushroom:      :mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2::mushroom2:      :mushroom:
:mushroom::cookiemonster: BEHOLD :elmo::mushroom:
:mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom::mushroom:

OfflineInfraredRick
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Midwest, USA
Re: why not use a grow kit? [Re: metaphoric]
    #26794093 - 06/30/20 11:30 AM (7 days, 13 hours ago)

Oh, sorry.

--------------------
Inspiration move me brightly.[gradient:#C7C7D4,#CFD4C7]y[/gradient]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started