Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next > | Last >
Offlinego.nadz
Friendly Stranger
Female User Gallery
Loc: Narnia
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: sl3]
    #26782351 - 06/25/20 03:11 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Lol all I know is I was in way over my head when I decided to start this

Grow your own mushrooms, they said
It’s fun, they said

:confused:

--------------------
:heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSuper_Fun_Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #26782710 - 06/25/20 05:36 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Hello all,

So, quick contam check question. I have been tending my mod'd tub for a couple months now (setup 4/26), it's getting to the end of it's run to be sure. I noticed today while doing some pluckin' that i have some spider webby looking shit growing on some of the fruit bodies, mostly ones located in this giant crevasse in the substrate. I would guess that it's cobweb mold but i've also seen the mycelium do some pretty crazy acrobatics reaching out into the air for nutrients. If anyone can confirm or has any input it would be appreciated, pictures below (it's only dark grey/black due to spores.) My other question is should i just toss the ones that came in contact with whatever this is?

You can see the webbing like structures contrasted against the spore blasted substrate fairly well here;

This is one of the fruits that was coated with whatever this gnarly shit is, looks like a fungus beard.

Same as above;

Bonus fungi that got waterlogged, he extra slimy, the outer cap peeled right off to reveal some cube jelly;

Offlinesl3
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Super_Fun_Guy]
    #26782864 - 06/25/20 06:27 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I haven’t yet experienced the spider web mold but everyone seems to use peroxide to kill it.  It shouldn’t effect your mycelium or fruit...and what I’ll be doing at first sight of any.Throwing out the affected ones would be a good practice, and risky to keep/consume

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: go.nadz]
    #26783598 - 06/26/20 03:36 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

sl3 said:
1 & 2 definitely seem to be affected and have only colonized a 20-40%
3 & 4 seem less affected by bacillus but have the uncolonized grains that seem very loose and dry- the mycelium on 3 & 4 seem healthy and looking to continue growth-(about 80%)I’m willing to inject distilled water if anyone can possibly confirm this approach.  If I can salvage 3 & 4, I’m all ears! 🤞🏼

Thanks guys

I think it would be a waste of time to inject water, because its already mostly gone to bacteria it would just make even more room for it to spread.
It is up to you ofc, experiment if you like.
I would plant all of it outside man, they are no use to try indoor save you would spread shit around your appartment and nothing decent would grow in long time if at all.

Quote:

go.nadz said:
Hello,

Two things, I'm worried about contamination but I'm also worried I took out of bag and put in fruiting conditions too early.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Nadz

Looks a bit dry and a bit of metabolites, but it aint that bad, some growers
tend to put it 95% colonized to fruiting and it works for them, yours look colonized enough tho.
you are fruiting it in a tub or SGFC and only this one bag?
If yes so just keep it there and see what goes, if it stalled a little bit thats okay, it will come with time.
good luck:stoned:

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
    #26783605 - 06/26/20 03:44 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Super_Fun_Guy said:
Hello all,

So, quick contam check question. I have been tending my mod'd tub for a couple months now (setup 4/26), it's getting to the end of it's run to be sure. I noticed today while doing some pluckin' that i have some spider webby looking shit growing on some of the fruit bodies, mostly ones located in this giant crevasse in the substrate. I would guess that it's cobweb mold but i've also seen the mycelium do some pretty crazy acrobatics reaching out into the air for nutrients. If anyone can confirm or has any input it would be appreciated, pictures below (it's only dark grey/black due to spores.) My other question is should i just toss the ones that came in contact with whatever this is?

You can see the webbing like structures contrasted against the spore blasted substrate fairly well here;

This is one of the fruits that was coated with whatever this gnarly shit is, looks like a fungus beard.

Same as above;

Bonus fungi that got waterlogged, he extra slimy, the outer cap peeled right off to reveal some cube jelly;

Fungus beard haha, yeah looks like cobweb.
your sub looks like a wasteland tho, try picking your fruits earlier :thumbup:

I would clean the fruit from that web, check if the smell is good and if its not mushy, if it aint I would dry it out, but thats only me.
it really depends on how bad it is to make appropriate actions.
I dont know what would be the wisest thing to do, but spraying it with peroxide might help a bit.
how many flushes did you do?

Edited by F. 3 (06/26/20 03:46 AM)

OfflineSuper_Fun_Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: F. 3]
    #26785399 - 06/26/20 06:14 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Heya, thanks for the input, i agree definitely still relatively new so i tend to second guess myself on a lot of shit. I couldn't honestly tell you how many flushes exactly, I've found the notion of flushes in general to be somewhat erroneous or at best a bit more of a vague concept. At least with the ones i grew they just kinda did what they wanted and kept growing at random throughout, there was no clear growth/downtime phases with a very few exceptions (like post soaking/dunking heavily, there wouldn't be any growth for a day or two). The substrate is most assuredly a wasteland though lol, i got caught unawares by some fruits that just exploded and some laziness/wanting to see how big some would get was involved as well. To give a rough timeline i transferred grain to bulk substrate on april 26 or so, it colonized quickly and it's still fruiting now, so far about 9 and a half oz dried. I started with like 4lb of grain and 10 lb substrate, i felt like it was pretty decent for my first successful run. Thanks again!

OfflineHomi3
NOOB
Male User Gallery

#26786902 - 06/27/20 09:58 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I ended up getting 250g first flush wet out of a mini tub. I flipped the substrate and waiting for second flush.

--------------------
Trying my hand at this cultivating thing.
Thank you so much to this community for the good reads and teks to follow.

OfflineLunatikPenguin
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Homi3]
    #26788252 - 06/27/20 08:45 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

First attempt at doing a swab, did 4 plates of ape. This was the plate that I left a bit of the swab in.. Yikes haha. Nothing yet on the other 3.

Edit: can't really tell from the picture but those orbs of fuzz are mostly green..

Edited by LunatikPenguin (06/27/20 08:46 PM)

OfflineSuper_Fun_Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: LunatikPenguin]
    #26788525 - 06/27/20 11:28 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Yea that's definitely contam - I have had pretty piss poor luck with agar so far as well. Despite even trying to make the still air box and do things right, ive had some minor successes, wouldnt really even call them successes but i did have some mycellium growth but 3/4 contam'd in the end.

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
    #26788966 - 06/28/20 06:13 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

LunatikPenguin said:
First attempt at doing a swab, did 4 plates of ape. This was the plate that I left a bit of the swab in.. Yikes haha. Nothing yet on the other 3.

Edit: can't really tell from the picture but those orbs of fuzz are mostly green..

stuff happens.
I have never done swabs, cant give any tips.
my first work with Agar was not so long ago, I used 3 part sterilized petri and poured it. operating a syringe you get much more length of flame sterilized needle over the dishes so many of the times its your hands and breath that play the biggest role in sterile work. Its my experience tho, everyone functions differently.
so made a spore solution from the tiniest amount of spores found on a rolling paper and dropped a drop on atleast 10 plates, some of them didnt germinate but atleast 6 plates had growth after 4-5days.
spores were atleast 1 year old and went through a lot. they probably been outside during storms and shit. god knows.

I dont even know what strain it actually is yet.
none the less.
What ever you do inside of the SAB when working, try to visualize how little movements create currents of energy/air moving inside of the box, it will greatly improve your perception how to follow proper sterile technique.
good luck:thumbup:

Quote:

Super_Fun_Guy said:
Yea that's definitely contam - I have had pretty piss poor luck with agar so far as well. Despite even trying to make the still air box and do things right, ive had some minor successes, wouldnt really even call them successes but i did have some mycellium growth but 3/4 contam'd in the end.

SAB is a must in this hobby no matter what are you doing.

Edited by F. 3 (06/28/20 06:35 AM)

OfflineLunatikPenguin
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26789906 - 06/28/20 01:56 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

F. 3 said:
Quote:

LunatikPenguin said:

stuff happens.
I have never done swabs, cant give any tips.
my first work with Agar was not so long ago, I used 3 part sterilized petri and poured it. operating a syringe you get much more length of flame sterilized needle over the dishes so many of the times its your hands and breath that play the biggest role in sterile work. Its my experience tho, everyone functions differently.
so made a spore solution from the tiniest amount of spores found on a rolling paper and dropped a drop on atleast 10 plates, some of them didnt germinate but atleast 6 plates had growth after 4-5days.
spores were atleast 1 year old and went through a lot. they probably been outside during storms and shit. god knows.

I dont even know what strain it actually is yet.
none the less.
What ever you do inside of the SAB when working, try to visualize how little movements create currents of energy/air moving inside of the box, it will greatly improve your perception how to follow proper sterile technique.
good luck:thumbup:

Quote:

Super_Fun_Guy said:

SAB is a must in this hobby no matter what are you doing.

Yeah I absolutely use a sab, but currently am looking into filters for making a flow hood. I also wear a basic surgical mask, gloves, and use lots of iso prior to doing anything as well as limit movement in the box. I knew working with swabs was a challenge.. I've done agar from spore syringe and had success, but couldn't fine syringes of ape so figured I'd give the swabs a try.

OfflineMH5109
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
    #26791087 - 06/28/20 10:52 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Honestly you don't really have to use a ton of sanitizer, I wash my hands and then go to the sab. The proper technique is the key to agar, its tough at first, I remember my first experiences with agar and they were not pleasant lol. Learn from your mistakes and get a solid technique down and it will give you a different look on mushrooms, the idea of a culture holding almost infinite potential is crazy to think about.

--------------------

OfflineLunatikPenguin
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: MH5109]
    #26792055 - 06/29/20 01:05 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MH5109 said:
Honestly you don't really have to use a ton of sanitizer, I wash my hands and then go to the sab. The proper technique is the key to agar, its tough at first, I remember my first experiences with agar and they were not pleasant lol. Learn from your mistakes and get a solid technique down and it will give you a different look on mushrooms, the idea of a culture holding almost infinite potential is crazy to think about.

I think I've fared pretty well so far, imo. Not a ton of lost plates. My first pour resulted in a TON of condensation in plates, but I learned from that experience. I've only lost a few plates to contam, and have also had success with transfers.. knock on wood my first jars are coming along nicely as well!

Currently I have several nice looking transfer plates going, but I also haven't had success from one particular syringe of GT yet. Second attempt the same day I did the ape plates, single drop which I streaked with a loop. No signs of germination yet. For doing swabs, I tried rubbing/streaking the tip on several plates then trimmed the end of the swab off into the plate in the pic using a flamed scalpel. That plate is the only of the apes that showed contam.

It definitely is crazy thinking just how much potential there can be from getting one good plate going. I've already seen first hand through transfers to multiple plates how easily you can expand strong growth. Going to be attempting my first g2g as well as grain to coir in a shoebox, and hopefully have luck there as well!

Offlinego.nadz
Friendly Stranger
Female User Gallery
Loc: Narnia
    #26792705 - 06/29/20 05:15 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Yes in a tub and only the one.

I'm going to try to be patient and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks friend!

Nadz

--------------------
:heart:

Invisibleretowen
Forest Dweller
Loc: Canada
    #26793353 - 06/29/20 09:38 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MH5109 said:

I think I've fared pretty well so far, imo. Not a ton of lost plates. My first pour resulted in a TON of condensation in plates, but I learned from that experience. I've only lost a few plates to contam, and have also had success with transfers.. knock on wood my first jars are coming along nicely as well!

Having condensation issues as well :frown: Trying to have them on the side.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: retowen]
    #26793658 - 06/30/20 03:16 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

go.nadz said:
Yes in a tub and only the one.

I'm going to try to be patient and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks friend!

Nadz

Good luck.:thumbup:
Quote:

retowen said:
Quote:

MH5109 said:

Having condensation issues as well :frown: Trying to have them on the side.

if you are pouring plates then you need to pour Agar at 47 C, it will be good. Bodhisatta's method does the trick.
I leave plates in the SAB to cool down for half an hour.

OfflineThegriz
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26794212 - 06/30/20 10:30 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Piss? And look at these sprouted with no sub

Offline8dmind
Stranger
    #26794215 - 06/30/20 10:32 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Hi guys I’ve I just wanted to know if these mushrooms are contaminated or mutated or something. There seems to be a second stalk growing out the top of one of them?

OfflineM88
Just a fellow traveler
 User Gallery
    #26794741 - 06/30/20 02:43 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

A couple pictures I have questions on:

My jars started pinning. On "Jar 2" I noticed blue-ish color on one of the jars. Is this bruising? Normal? Or should I isolate?

On "Jar 1," one of the pins is much more brown in color. Is THAT normal?

My mono tub has been colonizing. Hoping this isn't trich or something nasty.

Also, I had a contaminated jar pointed out by White Rabbit, which I soon buried next to a dead tree stump. The other day, I've noticed crazy growth. Is this a miracle?

Any and all information is appreciated for this first time grower. Stay chubby friends:thumbup:

--------------------
Someone told me that 'mushrooms make you crazy.'

I disagree. I say that mushrooms make you 'normal,' see clearer, and be more truthful with yourself and with others. They should be mandatory for anyone with a conscious.

OfflineLunatikPenguin
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: M88]
    #26795232 - 06/30/20 06:46 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Does this look like fluffy myc or is it something else? This is one of 4 plates in my second try with this GT syringe. First set all had issues and got tossed.

None of the other 3 plates are showing anything at all..

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com APE Liquid Culture For Sale