Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineUnagiShark
Beat the bad drugs
 User Gallery

Loc: North San Francisco Bay Area, ... Flag
Circuit boards
    #26584671 - 04/07/20 06:45 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I was wondering if having taken college physics was sort of the only route one can rely on in pursuing an understanding of circuit boards and how to work with them? I realize there may be an obvious answer of no. I mean in understanding electricity in general with any sincerity to that understanding. If that makes sense.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinecowcatcher
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Circuit boards [Re: UnagiShark]
    #26584778 - 04/07/20 07:18 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I know many people who without a formal education have a solid understanding of electronics and circuits. Check out these sites, they have good tutorials that should get you started. www.allaboutcircuits.com and www.adafruit.com .

--------------------
:mushroom2:Micro dosing my blues away:mushroom2:

Invisiblekoraks
    #26592571 - 04/11/20 01:58 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

UnagiShark said:
I was wondering if having taken college physics was sort of the only route one can rely on in pursuing an understanding of circuit boards and how to work with them?

You probably mean electrical engineering, not physics.

OfflineUnagiShark
Beat the bad drugs
 User Gallery

Loc: North San Francisco Bay Area, ... Flag
Re: Circuit boards [Re: koraks]
    #26601150 - 04/14/20 05:42 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

whoah slow down now

OfflineMushit
Shit Lover

Loc: The Great White North
    #26601193 - 04/14/20 06:07 PM (3 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

UnagiShark said:
I was wondering if having taken college physics was sort of the only route one can rely on in pursuing an understanding of circuit boards and how to work with them? I realize there may be an obvious answer of no. I mean in understanding electricity in general with any sincerity to that understanding. If that makes sense.

Yes, physics will help to start to understand electricity, but it is electronics study that will get you there.  Just looking at a circuit board and trying to understand it will drive you nuts.
If you can read a basic schematic, you are on your way.  A circuit board is created from this diagram.  To reverse engineer a circuit board is at best a daunting task.
If this is too confusing to you, there is much studying for you to do.  Say a few years.

--------------------
Up to my elbows in shit!

OfflineRightHereAndNow
Choom
I'm a teapot

#26607425 - 04/17/20 07:56 AM (3 years, 11 months ago)

I'm studying Mechanical Engineering at the moment and i have to tell you  www.allaboutcircuits.com is by far the best for beginner up to advance.
I also would recommend buying an Arduino board and play around with it. You will learn about circuitry much faster and much more enjoyable when you have something like an Arduino board, It is so much fun.
You can check out GreatScott
He does a lot of project and also teaches you the basics of electronics.
This series of video from CollinsLab is also a good source to get you going with the basics

These are what i recommend if you want to start learning electronics.

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#26630959 - 04/26/20 10:46 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

UnagiShark said:

Not really sure what you mean.  Are you asking about electrical engineering?  Or just the theory of electromagnetism in general?

Offlinesonoramo
Contaminant
Male User Gallery

Loc: California, baby! Flag
Re: Circuit boards [Re: koraks]
    #26787404 - 06/27/20 01:21 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I'm a physicist. If the circuit board is going to do anything analog, get help from an experimental physicist, a ham radio enthusiast, or somebody really old. Most younger EE's know very little about the practicalities of low-noise, high power or high fidelity analog design.

Offlinesinglet_oxygen
Stranger
Re: Circuit boards [Re: RightHereAndNow]
    #26789561 - 06/28/20 11:08 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

RightHereAndNow said:
I also would recommend buying an Arduino board and play around with it. You will learn about circuitry much faster and much more enjoyable when you have something like an Arduino board, It is so much fun.

I'd recommend skipping Arduino (at least official arduino boards). ESP8266 boards are cheaper, faster, easier to program (can even use Arduino IDE).

Quote:

RightHereAndNow said:
You can check out GreatScott
He does a lot of project and also teaches you the basics of electronics.

100% behind this.

--------------------
1O2

OfflineJohn in WI
Neo-Luddite
 User Gallery

Loc: On a hippy trail head ful...
Re: Circuit boards [Re: singlet_oxygen]
    #26793807 - 06/30/20 06:13 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I've been tinkering with electronics for a lot of years.  For me, it was really out of interest.  Starting off in the 80's, I was building amateur radio stuff, mostly out of kits.  A little later in the 90s, I started building simple guitar effects, and finally in the past 10 years or so, I started working on synthesizers. 

I do have a degree in physics, which helps a little bit.  But really you don't need to know exactly how something works in order to make it work. 

I would suggest getting an oscilloscope.  You can buy a basic USB o-scope for under $100.  It really is an indispensable tool.  Then, you should get a breadboard.  That allows you to prototype stuff easily.  After working out a circuit, when you find something good, you can worry about soldering/boxing it up.  It's a great deal of fun really. 

Here was an Instructable I did a few years ago.  I learned a lot just building various oscillator circuits for weird noise generation:  https://www.instructables.com/id/4093-Weird-Noise-Generator/

OfflineCartoons
Stranger
    #26794663 - 06/30/20 02:17 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Look into getting your ham radio technician’s license. The ARRL has free classes that will teach you electronic circuit and RF fundamentals. From there I would suggest looking into Arduino or Raspberry Pi based projects. If you study for and obtain your technician license you will have the skills to safely pick up Make (magazine) and get elbow deep in some projects.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Circuit boards [Re: sonoramo]
    #26796077 - 07/01/20 01:27 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

sonoramo said:
I'm a physicist. If the circuit board is going to do anything analog, get help from an experimental physicist, a ham radio enthusiast, or somebody really old. Most younger EE's know very little about the practicalities of low-noise, high power or high fidelity analog design.

True that. One of my favorite comments I read once from an electrical engineer who specialized in digital + RF circuitry (and particular A/D and D/A conversions), boiled down to "in the end it's all analog signals and too many EE's in the digital arena fail to comprehend this."

Offlinecowcatcher
Strange
Male User Gallery

Re: Circuit boards [Re: Cartoons]
    #26800980 - 07/03/20 08:01 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Cartoons said:
Look into getting your ham radio technician’s license. The ARRL has free classes that will teach you electronic circuit and RF fundamentals. From there I would suggest looking into Arduino or Raspberry Pi based projects. If you study for and obtain your technician license you will have the skills to safely pick up Make (magazine) and get elbow deep in some projects.

Ham radio is a nice way to learn about electronics, kit building is fun and a fairly inexpensive way to get into the ham radio hobby. This site http://aa9pw.com/amateur-radio-exam-practice/ is great place to try a practice exam and get some more information.

--------------------
:mushroom2:Micro dosing my blues away:mushroom2:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman
1,559 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 15 queries.