Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleilus
Bred in Captivity
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the bend.
Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs
    #26785708 - 06/26/20 08:39 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/military-invests-27m-to-develop-new-class-of-psychedelics-inspired-drugs/?fbclid=IwAR0JER0LdXiuTMk-ylH78o7HOJruVOpSV8aTi92YARLvlBJB1XljsByW6dQ

The successful use of controlled substances such as ketamine and psilocybin mushrooms to treat mental health issues like depression and anxiety has ushered in a new era of interest in psychedelic drugs. But for researchers and clinicians eager to expand such therapies, an obvious question remains: Does treatment with psychedelics necessarily require a psychedelic experience?

An international research team hopes to answer that question by researching and developing a new class of drugs that offers the same fast-acting mental health benefits as traditional psychedelics without the disorienting, sometimes uncomfortable effects of a full-blown trip. Funded by $26.9 million from the U.S. Department of Defense’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), a new project announced this month “aims to create new medications to effectively and rapidly treat depression, anxiety, and substance abuse without major side effects,” according to a University of North Carolina (UNC) School of Medicine press release.

“Although drugs like ketamine and potentially psilocybin have rapid antidepressant actions, their hallucinogenic, addictive, and disorienting side effects make their clinical use limited,” said Brian L. Roth, a professor of pharmacology at UNC School of Medicine and the research project’s leader. “Our team has developed innovative methods and technologies to overcome these limitations with the goal of creating better medications to treat these neuropsychiatric conditions.”

Research into the possible therapeutic effects of currently illicit drugs such as ketamine, psilocybin, MDMA and others has expanded tremendously during the past decade. Nonprofit groups such as the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies have led the way, with university researchers and drugmakers entering the mix more recently.

In September of last year, Johns Hopkins University announced the launch of the nation’s first-ever psychedelic research center, a $17-million project to study the use of psychedelics to treat conditions such as opioid use disorder, Alzheimer’s disease, depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Government interest in psychedelic drugs has also grown. Also in September, DARPA, a federal agency that exists to support the development of emerging technologies for use by the U.S. military, announced its Focused Pharma program, meant to develop drugs “that work quickly and deliver lasting remedies for conditions such as chronic depression and post-traumatic stress.”

While that DARPA announcement didn’t mention specific substances or even use the word “psychedelics,” it referred to “certain Schedule 1 controlled drugs that engage serotonin receptors” and that have “significant side effects, including hallucination.”

The press release for the new DARPA-funded project, lead by Roth at UNC, mentions ketamine and psilocybin specifically. The team will use both biological modeling and sophisticated computational approaches in an effort to design fast-acting drugs inspired by psychedelics but free from what researchers call “disabling side effects.”

“Depression, anxiety, and substance abuse affect large segments of the population,” Roth said. “Rapidly acting drugs with antidepressant, anti-anxiety, and anti-addictive potential devoid of disabling side effects do not exist, not even as experimental compounds for use in animals. Creating such compounds would change the way we treat millions of people around the world suffering from these serious and life-threatening conditions.”

At DARPA, Dr. Tristan McClure-Begley, Focused Pharma’s program manager, said last fall that the agency’s interest in developing such drugs is due to the country’s large number of veterans with PTSD and other mental health conditions.

“It is research we need to undertake given the scale of the mental health crisis our veterans face,” he said in September, “and if it works, the payoff is a completely new, safe, and effective therapeutic option that transforms complex and previously intractable mental conditions into something more acutely treatable.”

Along with Roth at UNC Chapel Hill, the newly announced research project includes members Georgios Skiniotis and Ron Dror of Stanford University, Jian Jin of Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai, Brian Shoichet and Nevan Krogan of University of California at San Francisco and William Wetsel of Duke University.

--------------------
Message me for Mushroom Tinctures
Lion's Mane, Reishi, Turkey Tail, Chaga, Shiitake / Extracts / CBD Isolate, Oil
----
My Art, Design, Sculpture & Music:  http://www.conceptflow.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: ilus]
    #26785796 - 06/26/20 09:21 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

A very interesting idea to be sure.

InvisiblePenroc3
hypno toad
 User Gallery

Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #26785825 - 06/26/20 09:40 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

MK ULTRA 2.0

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: Penroc3]
    #26785867 - 06/26/20 10:00 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

except for therapy instead of interrogation

InvisiblePenroc3
hypno toad
 User Gallery

Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: Psilosopherr] * 1
    #26786004 - 06/26/20 11:19 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

so was MKULTRA to outsiders, looking like a prominent doctor trying to help hopeless crazies with long 2 week barbiturate comas with MASSIVE amounts of ECT(zapping your brain) and have a tape play one single message 1000's of time for days in that situation.  playing things like 'your worthless' or 'you killed your mother' not of these things being true of course.

it was led by a Canadian "doctor" named ewing cameron he was and american but worked in canada and was paid by the CIA.

but if you look him up doctors all over the world thought he was doing good ethical treatments.

imagine being in milligram IV doses of LSD and god know what else and being stuck in a bed where you cant move or see and ever sense was tried to be minimized as much as possible, then they found float tanks...

They called it Psychic Driving and part of the reason that LSD and others are called Psychedelics

or in the 1970 the Army Chemical corp tested out ALLLLL sorts of crazy thing up to and including BZ the nerve agent.....look up what BZ does to you(super super strong and extremely potent and lasts for 48 hours .....not fun.  its like taking 5 boxes of benadryl

i would stay far far far away from these new drugs and definitely not do any studies

if you really want to use the substances(LSD,MDMA,mushrooms) in a therapeutic setting talk to your dr or psych or whoever and if they are willing to try it with you then that would be the best bet.

the hard part is finding a dr that is open and up to date with critical studies on such things.

My Dr has a nurse that did and mdma/ket session with me.  I had to get the MDMA however and a tester to show her it was legit.

sometimes the last option is the best option

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: ilus]
    #26786273 - 06/27/20 02:53 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

This was already reported on here a while back, but it's an interesting idea. I don't think it's possible to separate the hallucinogenic effects from the beneficial effects though. I think they're the same. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Unfortunately $27 million is chump change in research terms, but it's nice to see any money going into it.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: nooneman]
    #26786296 - 06/27/20 03:36 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Agreed. You likely have to trip to get the benefits, or at least microdose

And the military/agencies don’t have the best track record when it comes to psychedelics

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: Penroc3]
    #26786344 - 06/27/20 04:26 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Penroc3 said:
MK ULTRA 2.0

Don't be ridiculous.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: Holybullshit] * 2
    #26786875 - 06/27/20 09:47 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Nobody saw 1.0 coming..

It really depends on how these drugs turn out. And there’s already some history besides MKULTRA for example: MDA was given to soldiers at some point, I imagine it didn’t go too well in terms of aiding combat lol

They clearly want to use psychs to aid things like PTSD “rapidly” perhaps so soldiers can just march back into battle

Just that any real psychedelic promotes anti-violence (in most people)

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineRapjack
Oat Soakin' Toker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Elsewhere
Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: Fractal420]
    #26786975 - 06/27/20 10:29 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
Nobody saw 1.0 coming..

It really depends on how these drugs turn out. And there’s already some history besides MKULTRA for example: MDA was given to soldiers at some point, I imagine it didn’t go too well in terms of aiding combat lol

They clearly want to use psychs to aid things like PTSD “rapidly” perhaps so soldiers can just march back into battle

Just that any real psychedelic promotes anti-violence (in most people)

I think it's more this than another MKULTRA. I've also heard of certain special force units using using designer drugs or nootropics to give them an edge on missions or to avoid sleep. Imo that sounds more plausible than a "truth serum".

Mental and emotional issues probably cost them many millions a year in missed work, too.

--------------------

Invisiblebreeg89
i'll tell ya hwhat

Loc: mass
Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: nooneman]
    #26787057 - 06/27/20 10:54 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
This was already reported on here a while back, but it's an interesting idea. I don't think it's possible to separate the hallucinogenic effects from the beneficial effects though. I think they're the same. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong. Unfortunately $27 million is chump change in research terms, but it's nice to see any money going into it.

Agreed. If both the anti-depressant and psychedelic effects are mediated by 5-HT2A agonism, how do you get an anti-depressant 5-HT2A agonist without psychedelic effects? The only possibility seems to be a biased agonist that activates 5-HT2A in a different way (e.g. the non-psychedelic 5-HT2A agonist Lisuride that's used to treat Parkinson's, but I think the main target there is dopamine receptors). It seems like they'd have to discover a biased form of 5-HT2A agonism that promotes anti-depressant effects without psychedelic effects, which may not exist, and then develop a drug to activate that pathway. Sounds kinda hard.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: breeg89] * 1
    #26787185 - 06/27/20 11:38 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I still love the idea of an enemy agent being captured/roofied and when they wake up they're in a virtual reality indistinguishable from the real world and therein being tricked into revealing classified information :rawdoggin:

InvisiblePenroc3
hypno toad
 User Gallery

Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: Holybullshit]
    #26788002 - 06/27/20 06:19 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

you think the governments of the world(including the US) stopped experimenting on humans after WWII? fuck we took the NAZI's best monsters excuse me i mean doctors to continue the work.

MK ULTRA had PAPERCLIP Nazis as some of the heads of major programs....how do you think we got to the moon?? Nazi(paperclip) POW's that at the end of a gun got America to the moon.  And it was better than ending up in Russia.

your a fool to think they wouldn't keep on doing what ever hellish things they were planningk....

call it what ever you want but dont think for a second there arent people out there being experimented on, some passively and some more directly, like this 'new'(renamed) program

who's going to stop them and who is going to believe anyone saying they were some test subject in a government run lab....

maybe that's what the UFO abduction thing really is, with the right cocktails of drugs, 'stage craft' and maybe some new aircraft they made that fly's and looks like a ufo.

so these people are taken probably hypnotized, drugged and then experimented on.

no one ever asks why would such an advanced race of ET keep doing the same brutal and seemingly pointless experiments for decades...it would be a real good way to make sure you little mouse cant get out of the maze.

InvisibleTedsDead
 User Gallery

#26788386 - 06/27/20 09:55 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Sounds creepy AF!  Why cant we just take mushrooms? They wanna spend 27million to make sure we dont take mushrooms!?

--------------------
weed gets you through times of no money better than money gets you through times of no weed...  -the fabulous furry freak bros
If you can buy it, you can burn it!

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25947396#25947396

Offlinepolaritymind
relaxed attention
I'm a teapot

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: TedsDead]
    #26789929 - 06/28/20 02:02 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Dude I dont think this is news. I saw an article talking about DARPA wanting to create a non psychedelic psychedelic like a half year ago alread on here. Was stupid then and is stupid now, but hey some interesting stimulants or antidepressant might come from this, it just wont have anything to do with a psychedelic.

--------------------
"to affirm life is to also affirm death"
-Albert hofmann

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Military Invests $27M To Develop New Class Of Psychedelics-Inspired Drugs [Re: polaritymind]
    #26792029 - 06/29/20 12:51 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

It’s not a new idea, but it’s new coverage

--------------------
Grinning wide

Prying open MY third eye

Offlinemescalinechemist
 User Gallery

#26833593 - 07/20/20 04:02 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

illustrain said:

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/military-invests-27m-to-develop-new-class-of-psychedelics-inspired-drugs/?fbclid=IwAR0JER0LdXiuTMk-ylH78o7HOJruVOpSV8aTi92YARLvlBJB1XljsByW6dQ

The successful use of controlled substances such as ketamine and psilocybin mushrooms to treat mental health issues like depression and anxiety has ushered in a new era of interest in psychedelic drugs. But for researchers and clinicians eager to expand such therapies, an obvious question remains: Does treatment with psychedelics necessarily require a psychedelic experience?

An international research team hopes to answer that question by researching and developing a new class of drugs that offers the same fast-acting mental health benefits as traditional psychedelics without the disorienting, sometimes uncomfortable effects of a full-blown trip. Funded by $26.9 million from the U.S. Department of Defense’s Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), a new project announced this month “aims to create new medications to effectively and rapidly treat depression, anxiety, and substance abuse without major side effects,” according to a University of North Carolina (UNC) School of Medicine press release.

“Although drugs like ketamine and potentially psilocybin have rapid antidepressant actions, their hallucinogenic, addictive, and disorienting side effects make their clinical use limited,” said Brian L. Roth, a professor of pharmacology at UNC School of Medicine and the research project’s leader. “Our team has developed innovative methods and technologies to overcome these limitations with the goal of creating better medications to treat these neuropsychiatric conditions.”

Research into the possible therapeutic effects of currently illicit drugs such as ketamine, psilocybin, MDMA and others has expanded tremendously during the past decade. Nonprofit groups such as the Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies have led the way, with university researchers and drugmakers entering the mix more recently.

In September of last year, Johns Hopkins University announced the launch of the nation’s first-ever psychedelic research center, a $17-million project to study the use of psychedelics to treat conditions such as opioid use disorder, Alzheimer’s disease, depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).

Government interest in psychedelic drugs has also grown. Also in September, DARPA, a federal agency that exists to support the development of emerging technologies for use by the U.S. military, announced its Focused Pharma program, meant to develop drugs “that work quickly and deliver lasting remedies for conditions such as chronic depression and post-traumatic stress.”

While that DARPA announcement didn’t mention specific substances or even use the word “psychedelics,” it referred to “certain Schedule 1 controlled drugs that engage serotonin receptors” and that have “significant side effects, including hallucination.”

The press release for the new DARPA-funded project, lead by Roth at UNC, mentions ketamine and psilocybin specifically. The team will use both biological modeling and sophisticated computational approaches in an effort to design fast-acting drugs inspired by psychedelics but free from what researchers call “disabling side effects.”

“Depression, anxiety, and substance abuse affect large segments of the population,” Roth said. “Rapidly acting drugs with antidepressant, anti-anxiety, and anti-addictive potential devoid of disabling side effects do not exist, not even as experimental compounds for use in animals. Creating such compounds would change the way we treat millions of people around the world suffering from these serious and life-threatening conditions.”

At DARPA, Dr. Tristan McClure-Begley, Focused Pharma’s program manager, said last fall that the agency’s interest in developing such drugs is due to the country’s large number of veterans with PTSD and other mental health conditions.

“It is research we need to undertake given the scale of the mental health crisis our veterans face,” he said in September, “and if it works, the payoff is a completely new, safe, and effective therapeutic option that transforms complex and previously intractable mental conditions into something more acutely treatable.”

Along with Roth at UNC Chapel Hill, the newly announced research project includes members Georgios Skiniotis and Ron Dror of Stanford University, Jian Jin of Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai, Brian Shoichet and Nevan Krogan of University of California at San Francisco and William Wetsel of Duke University.

I would be very curious to see the backbone structures

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order