Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

"If only ____ then everything in my life will be okay"
    #2677722 - 05/14/04 01:50 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Sometimes it seems as if religion sells snake oil, in that a theology states that if you do what it says, all of your problems will be solved. Obivouisly this is not the intention of most of the people who came up with religions, but it seems to have evolved in that way by people who are looking to take advantage of other people.

Examples:

"If you turn your life over to Jesus (or insert deity here), everything will be ok"

"Once I reach enlightenment, I will be wise and know all"

Almost all religions have positive messages to say, but unfortuntely people want to take it so literally that they feel the only way to acheive peace of mind is the follow it EXACTLY as it's said. If I'm not mistaken, most of Judiac text is written to convey a moral or concept; it's a parable. Buddhism seems to have different interperations, but it seems to me that most of what is said is more a teaching to learn techniques to understand the mind-body-universe connection, not that the "Noble Path" is a literally thing (I'm sure people have different interpertations on this). One of my favorite quotes from a Buddhist monk is "Anyone who claims to be enlightend, isn't"

It seems to me that peace of mind, understanding, and serenity is something that is worked on by discovering your own truths rather than adhering to someone else's truth. But maybe that's just my personality. Some people need that security of someone telling them that they're doing everything right. Maybe some people need to feel as if holy water is blessed by God, and that communion is recieving the "Body of Christ", rather than being symbolic expressions of those things.

Personally I think there is so much uncertainty in this world, that people wish for it to turn into heaven. Putting faith in someone/thing else relieves that burden, but it doesn't always change the way things are. I'm personally coming up with a balance between action and being self-aware enough to not be overwhelmed by the negativity in the world.

Thoughts?

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

Re: "If only ____ then everything in my life will be okay" [Re: Twirling]
    #2677745 - 05/14/04 01:56 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Another example is how people talk about "ego death" or "losing one's ego" on this board. A lot of people who haven't experinced it approach it as if it's an accomplishment or something to acheive. It seems to be a way to describe an experince or perception, not "the path" or the "way" to be.

I think once people experince spiritual states of mind, they realize it's not quite as they thought it would be, or that it's different than the way people describe it.

InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

#2677769 - 05/14/04 02:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i think seeking to destroy the ego is futile, at best you can only undermine it.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2677784 - 05/14/04 02:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

sweet!

with regards to what people say on the forum...who am i to say "this way will work for you." I can only suggest how I learned something, if someone wants to take it..that's great, if they don't want to...that's fine too.

with egoloss, I don't htink people really say, this is the way it is, then again, why are we so set on saying the way it isn't? can't we learn things from sharing our experiences?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #2677859 - 05/14/04 02:21 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I stopped being a Christian once I started realizing that I couldn't rely on God or Jesus to fix my problems for me. I realized it was up to me to improve my own life, and it was actually quite an empowering feeling. I realized that I was in control of my own destiny.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology