Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
P.D. Ouspensky and his ideas (GI Gurdjieff's teachings)
    #2677422 - 05/14/04 12:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I was recently introduced to a book called "The Fourth Way" by P.D. Ouspensky, based on the teachings of GI Gurdjieff.

I have read some eastern philosophy and a bit of western philosophy, this seems to have elements of both. It's almost like a western perspective on traditionally eastern ideas. There's nothing I could say about this book that would do it justice, I would like to throw out some interesting ideas but I dont know where to begin. If you are at all interested in philosophy/self-understanding this is a must read. There are a few internet resources but they dont compare to the actual book. Some of the ideas in this book are very foreign to anything we have heard before and require thorough explanation which I could not find on the net. But give Ouspensky a fair chance before you dismiss his work, some ideas come off sounding 'cultish' but I think there are many important and useful ideas to help one 'decondition oneself' and develop higher levels of conciousness.

Also, if anyone is familiar with Ouspensky or GI Gurdjieff, lets hear what you think of them.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: P.D. Ouspensky and his ideas (GI Gurdjieff's teachings) [Re: Buddha1]
    #2678039 - 05/14/04 03:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I read about half of The Fourth Way last summer. I didn't like how Ouspensky phrased a lot of things. I could understand what he was talking about most of the time from my own experience, but the way he went about explaining things just annoyed me. I haven't picked up the book since. I haven't read anything by Gurdjieff, but I did enjoy Boris Mouravieff's Gnosis II book.

The thing about these kinds of books is, when they call it Esoteric Christianity, they're not kidding about the esoteric part. :confused: :crazy: :wink:

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
    #2678115 - 05/14/04 03:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

also check out his _in search of the miraculous_

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
Re: P.D. Ouspensky and his ideas (GI Gurdjieff's teachings) [Re: ]
    #2678354 - 05/14/04 04:14 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Its nice to see that others are familiar with Ouspensky . Keep up the learning.

I agree that it is not the best writen or most understandable piece of work. I would not understand a lot of the concepts if I wasn't already familiar with similar ideas. I found it to be great help in further explaining ideas such as consciousness, freewill, and our basic as well as potential functions as a human being. It is not one of those books that you get glued to and can't put down, it is more of a textbook or manual full of imporatant and interesting information and ideas to help you along with your mental development. It is a great book if one is serious about developing one's consciousness, its not such a great book if you seek suspense and entertainment.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
    #2678501 - 05/14/04 04:39 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

also robert s deropp's _the master game_ can be a good intro to fourth way stuff...

--------------------
not old enough to care

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida
    #2679715 - 05/14/04 09:27 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I have struggled to 'grok' G.'s work for many years. Recently a professional theatre group came to my school to perform a play called 'The Carriage,' which was based on G.'s work, with various players manifesting different aspects of an individual's being (like the Scarecrow, Tinman, Lion and dog Toto being Dorothy's Intellect, Compassion, Will and Instinct in Frank Baum's 'The Wizard of Oz'). They performed it for 8th grade students - few got it.

For me, one of the most important insights is the meaning of The Fourth Way - the 'way of the sly man.' The First Way is that of the Monk, which takes many years to develop to fruition. The Second Way is the way of the Fakir, who can demonstrate amazing powers but which takes many months of preparation. The Third Way, that of the Yogi, may require days of concentrated effort in order to achieve an exalted state of Samadhi. The Fourth Way is the way of 'the sly man' - the man who 'Knows' that there are external material substances that can be imbibed, producing in minutes what the other ways take so long to achieve.

This bit of 'gnosis' is the way that Entheogen Enthusiasts take, whether they realize it or not. The Fourth Way can be combined with the other ways, and indeed I cannot even imagine using Entheogens without absolutely having to practice some Yoga positions to disperse the energy which 'pools' in my Solar Plexus. Anyway, perhaps if G.'s writings appeal to you, you can offer some insights about them here. Peace.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: P.D. Ouspensky and his ideas (GI Gurdjieff's teachings) [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2680786 - 05/15/04 02:19 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting. ["Grok". Good word, Markos!] I, too, have attempted to grok G's work which I assume was a translation because I don't believe he spoke English? English was definately a second language for G. My feeling is that much was lost in translation linguistically and later because it was second generation from Ouspensky.

My gut tells me that Gurdjieff must have been an incredible teacher in person who transformed many people's lives. Evidently he traveled quite a bit and imbibed various teachings and disciplines which he blended into his own unique form of teaching. Then Ouspensky, his disciple, came along and attempted to translate his teachings into a more easily translatable package.

I think his techniques in breaking people out of robotic patterns is valuable. There has probably been a great deal lost from G because much of his teachings were transmitted verbally. But what remains is definately worthwhile.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
    #2681852 - 05/15/04 12:13 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

according to sufi tradition, "schools" come into being for a specific purpose and for a definite time period; and when "the work" is acomplished, the school fades away...
and gurdjieff most definitely contacted the sarmouni "brotherhood" while travlling in central asia "in search of the miraculous" as it were...
G's "milk tongue" was prolly georgian; his lectures were in russian... & he could prolly "get by" in several other languages (turkish, armenian, etc.)
his father was a tale-teller (check out the gathering of story-men in "meetings with remarkable men"); when modern archaeologists translated recently discovered clay tablets with the oldest story ever recorded (the epic of gilgamesh) G was informed, and said "oh yes, my father used to tell this story"... apparently an oral tradition 4000 years old was still surviving in the caucasus...
the "fourth way" schools have certainly had an important impact on (the fringes of?) 20th century (& later, ok) psychology & esoteric studies...
(it is amost certain that similar "work" is still being accomplished by contemporary sufi (& sufi-influenced)schools here and there around the world, as well as by practicing gurdjieff-ouspensky groups)...

--------------------
not old enough to care

Offlinecurious mouse
meandering wanderer
Male User Gallery

#13685052 - 12/26/10 01:42 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

i asked for the Fourth Way as a Christmas present this year and am just beginning to read it.

i renew this 6 year old thread in hopes that I will get some fresh take on this work.

Offlinenicechrisman
Interdimensional space wizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: So Cal
    #18994639 - 10/18/13 11:24 AM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Old ass thread I know but I've recently become interested in learning more about this seemingly interesting fellow. I shall update with my impressions.

--------------------
"Cosmic Love is absolutelely ruthless and highly indifferent:
it teaches its lessons whether you like/dislike them or not."

John C. Lily

Offlinefalcon
In the green

Re: P.D. Ouspensky and his ideas (GI Gurdjieff's teachings) [Re: curious mouse]
    #18996551 - 10/18/13 07:26 PM (3 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

curious mouse said:
i asked for the Fourth Way as a Christmas present this year and am just beginning to read it.

i renew this 6 year old thread in hopes that I will get some fresh take on this work.

You may be dyslexic, this is a 9 year old thread, dyslexia may be helpful in understanding Ouspensky.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology