Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinesombrero
Freshman
Other User Gallery
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #26245529 - 10/11/19 04:48 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you Jedi. It works really nice:grin:

--------------------
:mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OnlineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: sombrero]
    #26245547 - 10/11/19 04:58 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Nice work. :thumbup:

How many unbirthed cakes do you have? It could get crowded in there.

OfflineUghIHateLoginNames
Stranger
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: SpitballJedi]
    #26403571 - 12/27/19 07:57 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

How many cakes can I put in a 64 quart Sterilite 1928? I have 11 cakes total, not sure how many to put in each SGFC, but cakes are ready to birth so I need to make the SGFC asap.

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I wasn't sure if holes went on the bottom and the lid, but now I know.

OfflineHolyBolete
Mold Slayer
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: USA 🇺🇸
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: UghIHateLoginNames]
    #26403581 - 12/27/19 08:02 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

:aweyeah:

OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: UghIHateLoginNames]
    #26403654 - 12/27/19 08:50 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

UghIHateLoginNames said:
How many cakes can I put in a 64 quart Sterilite 1928? I have 11 cakes total, not sure how many to put in each SGFC, but cakes are ready to birth so I need to make the SGFC asap.

Thank you for the detailed instructions. I wasn't sure if holes went on the bottom and the lid, but now I know.

All of them

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineLSA Woodrose
Stranger

#26498125 - 02/22/20 08:20 AM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Wow, great thread, and awesome information that even a complete n00b like me can understand in your first post, SpitballJedi!

I am about to sit down with this thread and pore through all ten pages of info and responses. I have watched RogerRabbit's videos at leat 5 times each, and am gearing up to get started. I'm sure as I learn I will have more questions, but let's start with one.

In the OP of this thread, you mention you use a 64 quart Sterilite 1928 for your SGFG. I have looked these containers, and I can get the see through 64 quart Sterilite containers locally from Home Depot for dirt cheap. However, what does the "1928" signify? Is that some grade or attribute I need to look for? These are the ones I am looking at:

64 Quart Latching Sterilite See Through Box

64 Quart Latching Sterilite See Through Box

Both are dirt cheap, at $7.98 USD, but I can't find any mention of 1928 in any of these types of boxes.

OfflineLSA Woodrose
Stranger

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: LSA Woodrose] * 1
    #26508139 - 02/28/20 12:42 PM (4 years, 30 days ago)

Okay, so I ended up buying the 70 Quart Sterilite container, clear box and clear top. I have a couple of questions about the SGFC, though I am getting about 3-4 weeks ahead of myself since I won't be inoculating until next week sometime.

1. How much Perlite will I need for that sized SGFC? I purchased this 2 Cubic Foot Bag. Also see pic below. Will that amount be enough for the 70 Qt container?

2. I ordered one syringe of Golden Teacher, and the unnamed sponsor site is sending me an extra freebbie syringe for mentioning Shroomery.org. Since I have 24 wide-neck 8 ounce mason jars, I was thinking of just blowing my load all at once. Should I inoculate all 24 jars? I only ask because if I only do, say 12 jars, then when I am ready to put the cakes into the SGFC, the box may be waaaaay too big for 12 jars. I measured the bottom of the box, and it seems like it would fit a total of 28 cakes with small spaces between them. So would 24 cakes be too much and would 12 cakes be too few for that space?

Pic of container:

Perlite I purchased:

OnlineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: LSA Woodrose] * 1
    #26508160 - 02/28/20 12:54 PM (4 years, 30 days ago)

70qt is pretty huge. Id recommend two of those bags of perlite. I like to fill my SGFC half way up the container.

OfflineLSA Woodrose
Stranger

Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26508183 - 02/28/20 01:03 PM (4 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
70qt is pretty huge. Id recommend two of those bags of perlite. I like to fill my SGFC half way up the container.

Wow that's a lot of perlite. So be it, then! The thing I am wondering, in this vein, is if I am using a box that huge, would I be better off inoculating 24 jars to make 24 cakes, which should fit in that box? If not, and you would, let's say, recommend only doing 12 jars for 12 cakes, wouldn't I be better off saving that 70 Qt box and buying something about half that size for a first SGFC? It seems like that box I have would be a lot of wasted space for only 12 cakes, thus forcing me to use twice the Perlite?

Not sure if my thinking is logical here.

tl;dr - I don't mind using a whopping 4 Cu feet of Perlite, but if I am going to use that much, then shouldn't I make double the number of cakes?

Offlinerezasmith
Stranger
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: LSA Woodrose]
    #26556341 - 03/25/20 04:37 AM (4 years, 4 days ago)

so what i'm wondering is can you put a case fan under the SGFC? since you said air from below is humid , can you explain a bit about that? thank you

Offlinesphongle
Stranger
    #26564875 - 03/29/20 09:33 AM (4 years, 8 hours ago)

Hi gang,

I don't post often and I'm a super Noob (I've only fruited less then twenty times) but I just wanted to add this to the mix:

• I have never drilled holes in my fruiting chambers. There are no holes in the tub at all.
  • I use 16x11x7 tubs with the matching, fitted covers they were sold with.
  • I bought some humidity meters (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GNMKYCZ) and cut out rectangular slots that match the size of the meters near the top middle of each tub and snapped one into each tub)
  • I fill them with a couple inches of damp perlite.
  • I cut out little squares of tin foil that approximate the size of the colonized cakes and set them on the perlite.
  • I set up nine cakes (up to twelve has worked) per tub, on top of the foil squares.
  • I set the lids on top but don't lock the lids down to allow for FAE through the subtle gap
  • I don't raise the tubs off the surface, I just have these sitting on top of my kitchen cabinets.

Once I populate the tubs, I can just glance up every day to observe the humidity - it stays at 100% for a few days after setup, then I need to open the top and mist every couple of days when the humidity drops under 100%. When I spray, I just spray at the lid, not at the cakes.

My experience is that once the fruits start coming, the whole thing just kind of blows up for about a week.

Once the fruits stop popping (not pooping) regularly, I pull the cakes, clean em up, then dunk for 48, do it again for up to three total runs, then I dump em.

The 7" height of the tubs have not impacted growth of any of the strains I've been cultivating - I have gotten some surprisingly large fruits.

I've repeatedly gotten pretty fantastic results with this technique - For the first round with new cakes (before the second dunk and roll), it's a regular fruiting frenzy.

Edited by sphongle (03/29/20 09:34 AM)

OfflineHardstyle
Stranger
    #26764769 - 06/21/20 05:14 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Just wondering once you get pinning are you still suppose to mist the cakes directly ?? Have heard pins abort from misting ?

OfflineHardstyle
Stranger
    #26764790 - 06/21/20 05:23 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Should I mist after pins have formed on cakes and should the light cycle be 12hr on 12hrs off?

OfflineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Hardstyle]
    #26765406 - 06/21/20 06:18 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Yes you can mist your cakes. Misting doesn't cause aborts. Also 12/12 is ideal for a light cycle.

Offlineking_of_nothing
Layman
Male

#26838627 - 07/22/20 03:36 PM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Thank you so much for posting this stuff :thumbup: I am in preparation of actually trying to grow my first batch of mushrooms. I am going to use your TEK's. I have a couple of questions on the matter. They're actually a bit more about the content of the link to mushroomvideos.com containing more details on setting up a terrarium for SGFC set up.

• The site there is referring to a difference in humidity requirements between cakes and cased substrates. I am actually a bit of a loss as to what a cased substrate is here? Can you give me an example.
  • So the link's content says that it is a good idea to add 12-12 photoperiod using fluorescent lamp. Can this be the same kind of fluorescent lamp you can also you use for growing plants indoor?  E.g.lamps having 4000 lx.
  • The last element that confuses me, is the presence of natural daylight. So it says that it is safe to have a terrarium in a room that has a window or even preferrable. As long the terarrium is not directly hit by sun rays. So how does presence of natural daylight complement or makes the fluorescent lamp redundant?

Thanks again :smile:

OfflineKalian
 User Gallery

Loc: Las Vegas, NV Flag
    #26841893 - 07/24/20 01:55 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I’ve watch the Let’s Grow Mushroom Video a few times now and my first mushrooms are almost ready for the SGFC. This is the first time everything actually makes sense to me. I’m happy about that. It’s good to know that with good resources, understanding this gets easier...

--------------------
Fighting ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than I thought!) WickrMe:KalianPrime

Offlinepsychonautfin
Mr.Stoner
Male

Loc: EU
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: Kalian]
    #26867613 - 08/07/20 03:42 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Would it be ok to use 40 liter container? Only doing 3 1/2 pint cakes so i was thinking if it would be waste of perlite to fill 65 liter container for such a small quantity of cakes?

OfflinemodernBurial
y€rba

#26888143 - 08/19/20 10:36 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you for this post, SpitballJedi.
I am planning to grow mushrooms as a side project, which I have never tried before.
I want to let you know that the methods I'll be trying have all been written by you (I think).

Thank you sincerely for the work you've done !

Offlineedgar1337
Professional Moron
Male
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: SpitballJedi] * 1
    #26979206 - 10/10/20 10:29 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

What about making smaller holes? If someone didn't have a 1/4" drillbit, could they make smaller, slightly more numerous holes? Will that adversely affect the SGFC?

--------------------

"Mistakes are, after all, the foundations of truth, and if a man does not know what a thing is, it is at least an increase in knowledge if he knows what it is not."

-Carl Jung

"The current state of knowledge is a moment in history, changing just as rapidly as the state of knowledge in the past has ever changed and, in many instances, more rapidly."
-Jean Piaget

OnlineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Basic Principles of the Shotgun Fruiting Chamber (SGFC) [Re: edgar1337]
    #26979241 - 10/10/20 10:58 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Perhaps. You can also use larger holes in fewer larger holes such as 3/8" holes.

Ive made SGFC with less-than-spec holes and it still works great.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale