Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Anonymous

United States, is it all its made out to be?
    #2669928 - 05/12/04 05:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

The United States claims and really sells the fact that we are 'free' and 'accepting', but it seems like many other countries (such as Amsterdam) are way more free and open, ironically it seems that they are the countries that are more humble about it. EVERYWHERE you see Freedom and Equality of gov't propaganda, but it just isnt true. 

I'm not complaining really, it isnt as bad as most countries, but can we please stop bragging about something that isnt even all that true?? We have a bunch of racist,arrogant, selfish people running this country. they control the media and make this country as conservative as possible and they get around the constitution like no ones business.

besides all the racism and everything, how can you claim to be 'free' when you make mushrooms illegal?? i really dont see a point. what do you guys think?  why does the government not want you to trip? i think its because it makes you way to open minded.

haha sorry i kinda changed the subject of the post, but i guess they have something in common, right?  :tongue2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

Re: United States, is it all its made out to be? [Re: ]
    #2669956 - 05/12/04 05:48 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Lmao My sediments exactly.

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: United States, is it all its made out to be? [Re: HypnoToad]
    #2670081 - 05/12/04 06:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I think we just toot our horns because we thought of liberty and democracy first. It is a good country overall, but I don't think liberty has sustained itself very well into the modern era, particularly since the invention of the welfare state.

BTW, this belongs on the politics board. cheers.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlinewhiterabbit13
I'm late

Loc: Down the rabbit hole
    #2670159 - 05/12/04 06:28 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

They put a limit on how free we are.

--------------------

OfflineHarveyWalbanger
Demiurge
Male

Loc: 8b
    #2670193 - 05/12/04 06:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Theres nothing really wrong with the place per se... America is just the same as any other police state...

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: United States, is it all its made out to be? [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2670687 - 05/12/04 07:51 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

I think we just toot our horns because we thought of liberty and democracy first.

Hmm...

We're not a democracy, if we were a democracy we'd vote on the issues, hence we're a republic, as we have representatives to vote for us. I don't know what you're trying to say here, the US wasn't the first to have its people vote...? We based our government on previous governments, most notably places like Athens

And most people who say America's free and the best country in the world... ironically haven't been to any other country in the world  :smirk: . I consider Canada more free than the US, and quite a few European countries

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: United States, is it all its made out to be? [Re: Ravus]
    #2670723 - 05/12/04 07:56 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Quote:

I think we just toot our horns because we thought of liberty and democracy first.

Hmm...

We're not a democracy, if we were a democracy we'd vote on the issues, hence we're a republic, as we have representatives to vote for us. I don't know what you're trying to say here, the US wasn't the first to have its people vote...? We based our government on previous governments, most notably places like Athens

And most people who say America's free and the best country in the world... ironically haven't been to any other country in the world  :smirk: . I consider Canada more free than the US, and quite a few European countries

By first I mean since the Athenians 2400 years ago, and by democracy I mean a democratic republic. Freedom is subjective, Canada may have more social liberties, but the Canadian economic system is more authoritarian.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflinePotIsYourFriend
Pot Inspector

Re: United States, is it all its made out to be? [Re: Ravus]
    #2670743 - 05/12/04 07:59 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ravus said:
Quote:

Hmm...

I agree with you ravus

Invisiblewandrnshaman
old hand
Loc: Pinellas Co, FL
    #2671302 - 05/12/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

When I was in high school, a girl was enrolled who happened to be a visiting exchange student from Europe.
She once said 'I can't believe you people call this the land of the free, there are so many laws!"

The day our constitution was finished & approved by the various delegates, as Benjamin Franklin was leaving the courthouse, a lady asked him, "Well doctor, what do we have? A republic or a monarchy?" He replied, "A republic, if you can keep it."

editted cuz evolving is actually right. :tongue2:

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: United States, is it all its made out to be? [Re: wandrnshaman]
    #2671562 - 05/12/04 11:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Actually, it was a republic not a democracy.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinemad_hatter
tumbling dice

Loc: NY,NY
    #2676115 - 05/13/04 09:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

being an american i notice that other countries or people are quick to judge all of the american population. just cus we have some insane christians dictator doesnt meen everyone is like him or agrees with him. i love travling abrood to new countries and cultres but it always anooyes me that peoples first impression is that im a bigot conservitve ingorant and etc.

--------------------
your entering a world of pain

InvisibleYrtlzmo
Female
. [Re: ]
    #2676162 - 05/13/04 10:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by Yrtlzmo (02/05/13 08:43 PM)

Invisiblejux
I'm better thanan STD!

#2676188 - 05/13/04 10:06 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I like it here. It's a nice country. we have plenty of resources, a great infrastructure, several freedoms and liberties. Now, it's not all great, and there are many policies and people I disagree with, but all in all it's nice.

I'd like to see several policies change, a change in who is running our country, and a mass exodus of the WASPs outta DC, but as far as oligarchies go, we're doing alright.

--------------------

OfflineSuperfrk
Stranger
    #2676259 - 05/13/04 10:21 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well it really all depends on educating others. Look at pot for example. It is increasingly becomeing legal, in calli for medical use. Navada is wanting to make it legal, ect.... As more people become educated and start to demand that the laws change they will, it may take time but it will eventually happen. First the laws will become more and more slack and eventually be changed.

OfflineJohnnyJ
Junior VicePresident

#2676949 - 05/14/04 06:13 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well I've never been to America, and as a stoner and soon to be a shroomer(and cultivator of both), I have no intentions of going to America.
To answer "is it all its made out to made be?", totally not. An example of the hypocrisy: When those Iraqi's cut off that guys head, and one of the head dudes (was it Cheney or Rumsfeld?) said something like "that just shows how different we are from these barbaric people", when it's all over the news that Iraqi's have recently been killed in American custody in Iraq. And listening to Bush for a second just pisses me off, he's such a seethrough fucking lier and all the dumbass retards that support him should kill themselves (after all, they'd go to heaven then, right?).
Having said all that, I don't have a problem with American people, most of them didn't even vote for bush :-)
JohnnyJ

OfflineJohnnyJ
Junior VicePresident

#2676951 - 05/14/04 06:15 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Oh, and tripped, Amsterdam is not a country.
JohnnyJ

OfflineChonger
Olive grower

Loc: England Flag
Re: United States, is it all its made out to be? [Re: JohnnyJ]
    #2677295 - 05/14/04 09:34 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

What difference does it make if you "barbaricaly" cut of someones head or completely annihilate it with a sniper rifle? Are we supposed to assume that just because we dont see the other murders of either Iraqis, Americans or other British people, that this is ok and not barbaric? Im sure a lot more gruesome deaths have occured so far in this war.

--------------------
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy

OfflineNickatina
journeyman
Male
Loc: Bay Area, California.
    #2677465 - 05/14/04 10:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I dislike everything about America...I've lived here for all of my life..can't find it in my heart to see why everyone thinks this land is so free and great..my Family moved here from El-Salavador because Uncle Sam was supporting all the murders down there cause they feared Communism...Thats cool, they're Anti-COmmunist but Pro Murder of innocent folks..Makes Sense to me. I lost 2 cousins to that shit. I don't mean any insult to anyone who loves america...thats just how I feel about shit.

--------------------
"Make the most of the hemp seed, Sow it everywhere" -George Washington

OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

#2677605 - 05/14/04 11:20 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I see America as having a form of goverment that gives the people an ability to have freedom. Unforuntely, there are plenty of egotisical assholes who think the entire country has to conform to simplisitic moral vaules they determine to be "family values". It's interesting to note that the Nazi-American movement originally tried to promotes themselves through "family values". It says a lot on just how wholesome people's idea of morality is.

At any rate, the great thing about America is that there is incredible diversity. For every person who is uptight and conservitive, there is a free-willed person. Sometimes it's as simple as entiring a neighboring town to find like-minded people. I do agree though, that a lot of the laws this country currently have are archaic. Hopefully things will change in November.

OfflineSummerBreeze
Phyconaughty

Loc: Antwerpen.
    #2677902 - 05/14/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

It is just fundamentaly wrong.

For a place, and lets be honest here, that after kicking five flavours of sweet fuck out of the indigenious people went on to claim to be a world leader when it does not in actual fact even have a history/language of its own. Being built as it, so help us God for our past sins!, was on ex-pats and other drifters & dreamers.

This is a terrible thing to say. I'm not proud of the fact. The knowledge that I am not alone in this does nothing to ease my troubled mind. But whenever I hear a board munchy 'merican accent on the streets of Antwerp I cringe inwardly. If only that was were it ended. Unfortunately I also tend to curl my lip in disgust. Yes, I know I said I was concious of what it sounds like. But it can't be helped. As I say sadly I don't appear to be th eonly one.
Even the most prosaic of people on hearing that nasal bray of one of our 'merican cousins can be seen to mutter disaprovingly to his spouse.

It is at this moment in time a gut reaction.

When I was a kid we all thought the sun rose and fell on 'merica.

Now...............

Sure, you'd not see the sun for the carbon monoxide in the air as you collectively drive us all toward our deaths in your effort for world domination.

Why is it, and this is a serious question, that 'merican officals can never hold it together while conducting interviews? All that stuttering and stammering. Lifting hands to the cieling in a, "Gee! I know! But no one told me it was happening! What was I to do?", way.

Get a body that can string a coherent sentence together and mayhap your words will not be met with such scorn by the masses.

And am I mistaken in thinking that the 'merican goverment have no one in place who speaks has a grasp on the language of their new toy?

Why is it that we the viewing public have to be subjected to some clown in a bad suit painfully spelling out Spot the Dodesque rehashed statements and pointless platitudes, with an inane and ill timed grin, "Look Ma! I be's on the televisionallly boxy!", having his statement translated (I would hope reworded) to the intended public?

I find it insulting in the extreme.

Are we all to be viewed as mentally challenged individuals (si)?

Wake up and smell the (slave labour sponsered) reconsituted, GM enhanched, synthetic new improved Coke Cola (tm) coffee!

Land of the free?

Home of the brave?

Pardon my mirth.

--------------------
"Must'nt Grumble!".

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale