Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCosmicGiggle
Aspiring

For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression
    #26758723 - 06/19/20 10:47 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I got to thinking today cause a friend told me they use mushrooms for anxiety problems.
I know a lot of people use mushrooms to help with their anxiety and a lot of people use them to help their depression

My question is:
If you’re dealing with anxiety, does this negatively impact your trip? It seems that going into a trip with depression and/or anxiety would not be the ideal “set” Regarding set and setting.
So if you’re using mushrooms to help you get over these things, do you just wait for a day that your anxiety/depression is at a minimal level? Or do you eat the mushrooms while you’re feeling anxiety/depression?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNatedogg97
Patch reaper
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: CosmicGiggle]
    #26758751 - 06/19/20 11:10 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I feel as though when you take mushrooms or other psychs for depression or anxiety as I have many times its the amplification of those feelings and the enhanced ability to overcome such feelings and face them head on in a good trip that makes them such valuable tools.

InvisibleThe Blind Ass
Bodhi
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Primordial Mind
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: CosmicGiggle] * 2
    #26758752 - 06/19/20 11:10 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Nothing’s guaranteed one way or another, but to a degree set & setting is very important.  What has always been relevant to all of my Quality psychedelic experiences are the following:

bravery, honesty, open mindedness, and discernment & compassion.

And these 7 factors of enlightenment:

Mindfulness
Keen investigation
Energy
Rapture or happiness
Calm
Concentration
Equanimity

As remedy for any of the following mental or experiential * 5 hindrances: 

Sensual desire
Ill-will
Sloth and torpor
Restlessness and remorse
Sceptical doubt.

I can only speak to my own experience.  But the aforementioned has yet to fail me when studied and applied skillfully & whole heartedly before, during, & after tripping.

--------------------
Give me Liberty caps -or- give me Death caps

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: CosmicGiggle]
    #26758823 - 06/20/20 12:17 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

It’s a common question that doesn’t have a sensible answer; what you say is exactly correct. However, typical day to day anxiety or depression does not create a bad “set”. You’re looking more at things like leaving your wife in tht week, or your sister dies, or you lose your job, or something really upsetting like that.

You will more likely than not find that the mushrooms, regardless of your intentions and trip, will reset the brain; you’ll wake the next day feeling a whole heap less anxious and or depressed.

Good luck
DJ Ed

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”
Michael Pollan: How To Change Your Mind

“The problem is not to find the answer, it’s to face the answer.”
Terence McKenna

OfflineLosTresOjos
Humano
I'm a teapot
Loc: Hurling Through Space
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: DJ Ed]
    #26758934 - 06/20/20 01:25 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Like it was said above.

I don't think it would be a good idea to take them while in the midst of a traumatic event, clearly. But my anxiety/depression seems to melt away through the trip. The daily grind of life leaves my mind heavy and a trip whether it's challenging and/or blissful seems to allow me to come back to center. I can focus a lot better and I enjoy life again. I treat it as a vacation.

As I'm getting older though I began to want to trip less and less. I've been in some very terrifying places and blissful places where I could not tell the difference between reality and the trip. We have these personal experiences that actually happen. The body is fully engaged in the visceral experience. So when the life's mundane problems come by we are better prepared to deal and overcome.

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: LosTresOjos]
    #26758957 - 06/20/20 01:43 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I have found as I’ve gotten older that I can trip harder for less mushroom!

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”
Michael Pollan: How To Change Your Mind

“The problem is not to find the answer, it’s to face the answer.”
Terence McKenna

OfflineHamHead
Hard Ass Motherfucker
Male

Loc: Galactic sector ZZ9 Plura...
    #26762366 - 06/21/20 06:44 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

IMO, enough must be eaten that an ego will be forced to surrender. Too little and anxiety may be amplified while an ego attempts to remain 'in' control.

Could take a few tries for a full release where one can fully let go.

Integration is key on both ends. Actions may be preformed to prepare set and setting as well as maintaining a higher state of mind in an afterglow. Simple breathing techniques may be implemented to ease attacks if anxiety rises.

Having a sense of control of breath is a tremendous tool for coping with anxiety.

Depression requires repeated actions with intent to feel better of. It comes and goes and one should avoid identifying ones self with depression.

Community is a key, as interaction with others while feeling comfortable being ones self increases confidence and moral.

--------------------
The Italian researchers’ findings, published by the INT’s scientific magazine Tumori Journal, show 11.6% of 959 healthy volunteers enrolled in a lung cancer screening trial between September 2019 and March 2020 had developed coronavirus antibodies well before February.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-italy-timing-idUSKBN27V0KF

This online first version has been peer-reviewed, accepted and edited,  but not formatted and finalized with corrections from authors and proofreaders

https://www.icandecide.org/

InvisibleStoneJackBaller
Male User Gallery

Loc: tumbled down shack
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: HamHead]
    #26768169 - 06/21/20 08:48 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

OP, I microdose frequently at 0.15g PE or SAT (max for me) and find that I get a sustained lift in mood and small reset.  Also, I cannot tell I have taken anything at that dose so work days are just as good as any other day.  I have used this dose to help with mild transient situational anxiety/depression.

I get a more substantial benefit from a good strong trip/reset but I may not always want to, nor or have time to go hard in a given month.  Microdosing has helped me a good bit, balances me out and makes me more positive and helps with perspective.  Give it a shot, nothing to loose.

--------------------

OfflineMugnath
Male

Loc: Oregon
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: StoneJackBaller]
    #26768213 - 06/21/20 09:26 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Someone I knew was microdosing daily while in Hospice.

OfflineSocrateshroom
сталкер

Loc: Westworld
    #26774205 - 06/22/20 12:25 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicGiggle said:
I got to thinking today cause a friend told me they use mushrooms for anxiety problems.
I know a lot of people use mushrooms to help with their anxiety and a lot of people use them to help their depression

My question is:
If you’re dealing with anxiety, does this negatively impact your trip? It seems that going into a trip with depression and/or anxiety would not be the ideal “set” Regarding set and setting.
So if you’re using mushrooms to help you get over these things, do you just wait for a day that your anxiety/depression is at a minimal level? Or do you eat the mushrooms while you’re feeling anxiety/depression?

I wouldn't recommend tripping on days where you have the entire weight of your anxiety/depression on your shoulders.

But it has never influenced my trip, even when I was feeling worse than normal. And I have taken lower doses (1-2.5g of cubes, not of the PE varieties) when I felt shitty and it lifted me up or gave me the cathartic release that I needed.

Micro-doses seem to lower the immediate impact of anxiety/depression and allow more space in the present moment. But it doesn't seem to reduce those feelings over time (almost like masking them). But everyone is different and that is my experience.

Therapeutic doses or medium doses (1-2.5g of medium potency cubes) seem to give the imbiber a space where they can work out some of their pathologies. You can go pretty deep in this space, but it takes practice. And it can be difficult because your "ego" usually remains very intact in this space.

High doses (3g+ of medium potency cubes) seem to take you out of the equation. It can throw you into your deepest, most painful, repressed emotions and leave you in an almost "egoless" space to work on them. It can be absolute hell, especially if you have a lot of repressed issues and you generally are a person with avoidance issues. But it can be incredibly worthwhile to remove that "ego" and see your issues with your essence and not your ego.

I like to do medium "therapeutic" doses more frequently, simply because they require less planning and time set aside afterward. But I believe high doses are most helpful.

--------------------

InvisibleR.I.P.Zappa
Myco Melyco

Loc: In Between Space and Time Flag
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: Socrateshroom]
    #26774801 - 06/22/20 05:04 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I have microdosed when anxiety is high, seemed to amplify the anxiety for about two hours then it would drop off and go away later. So it does help but its not isntant and you still gonna have the come up phase before the euphoria phase.

I have done full doses while having abnormal levels of anxiety and I wouldn't do it again. It just amplified the anxiety triggering a challenging uncomfortable trip that felt uncalled for after it was all done.

I have found though if I do have boughts of anxiety off and on, I'd wait for a window when it calmed down and ASAP take a High dose then anxiety doesn't come back for a good week after rather than every other day and so fourth.
As others have said, it does amplify it particularly during the come up phase, hence the name "come up anxiety".

I remember when some one told me to take a huge dose right after my wife died for depression but knew I wouldn't be able to hack it in my current set.

I simply said, "yes these work great for PTSD but I don't think it does any good dosing a soldier when hes still getting shot at on the front lines. In fact it would probably make it worse". :lmafo:

--------------------
-The heaviest thing one will ever carry is a thought-
-"Like a Blind man In an orgy you gotta feel things out.".-
-When we agree about our hallucinations, we call it “reality".-
-If you defy authority because your told to, that's no better than blindly trusting authority.-

psychonautwiki.org

How it should & shouldn't look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE
BOD's Easy AF OAT prep tek.
Principles of mushroom growing for beginners

Offlinekyu
Psychonaughty
    #26776925 - 06/23/20 02:13 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

CosmicGiggle said:

My question is:

Set is so much more than just emotional state. Here are some other aspects:
- One's attitude towards psychedelics
- Goals and expectations
- Psychotherapy or other recent events that could trigger positive change
- General life situation

Afaik, people with psychological disorders get difficult trips more often, indeed, but even difficult trips can be beneficial if one has a proper mindset and a good sitter.

Also, attempting to treat mental disorders with powerful drugs without a doctor around is a bit stupid, if you ask me.

--------------------
You gave me a wonderful, wonderful world,
And you gave me eyes to see it,
And you gave me LSD to open them.

OnlineNorthernerM
splelling chceker
 User Gallery

Loc: FNQ
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: kyu]
    #26777023 - 06/23/20 02:55 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I've found mushrooms a saviour from depression but it can be hard to bring myself to eat them because of it. Typically I don't feel like tripping when I'm down but within an hour or so of dosing I always wonder why I didn't do it sooner. I use lighter doses when feeling like that though so I don't have any heavy dissolution or panic moments. The quickening of mind and elevated perception is enough to end long depressive episodes even before the trip finishes.

Sometimes if I'm really riding low the depression will come back 3 days later but the normal relief period is at least 2 weeks. Sometimes a trip can completely end a depressive episode.

Anxiety though is a different ball game that can become a somewhat traumatic experience even on low doses. I avoid psychedelics until I get that under control or are having a relatively good day. Fortunately I suffer from anxiety much less and diazepam is an effective treatment for me.

I do have a long history with psychedelics though so my relationship with them has grown over time. It's an ongoing friendship and alliance that has been hard won. It hasn't always been good times. Sometimes I see people approach psychedelics as a cure for their own psychological maladies and want to warn them off. It's not a magic bullet that will fix any problems, just a tool that allows one to see more clearly. If one really can't tell the difference between directions I think psychs can potentially just exacerbate issues.

--------------------
The nearest we ever come to knowing truth is when we are witness to paradox.

OfflineJonathoCrisp
Stranger
    #27563494 - 11/30/21 05:04 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Mushrooms to combat anxiety or depression? This is something new to me.

Invisibleahiddenbranch
Intergalactic ID #1337

#27563612 - 11/30/21 06:20 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I eat the funguys with the intention of combating some life problems and anxiety. Facing our fears will create the ultimate strength within. Of course lets have lots of fun and eat a lot of fruit in between as well.

I cannot consume these indoors. Often times, I like to take a hike somewhere magical. By the time I get to the destination & conquer the geographic feature (or just fall and lay in a bunch of trees and bushes), I have also confronted and conquered my problem, gained insight and direction from the universe. Part of how I am guided.

InvisiblePowdered_Toastman

Loc: Arrakis
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: Northerner]
    #27564168 - 12/01/21 05:14 AM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Northerner said:
I've found mushrooms a saviour from depression but it can be hard to bring myself to eat them because of it. Typically I don't feel like tripping when I'm down but within an hour or so of dosing I always wonder why I didn't do it sooner. I use lighter doses when feeling like that though so I don't have any heavy dissolution or panic moments. The quickening of mind and elevated perception is enough to end long depressive episodes even before the trip finishes.

Sometimes if I'm really riding low the depression will come back 3 days later but the normal relief period is at least 2 weeks. Sometimes a trip can completely end a depressive episode.

Anxiety though is a different ball game that can become a somewhat traumatic experience even on low doses. I avoid psychedelics until I get that under control or are having a relatively good day. Fortunately I suffer from anxiety much less and diazepam is an effective treatment for me.

I do have a long history with psychedelics though so my relationship with them has grown over time. It's an ongoing friendship and alliance that has been hard won. It hasn't always been good times. Sometimes I see people approach psychedelics as a cure for their own psychological maladies and want to warn them off. It's not a magic bullet that will fix any problems, just a tool that allows one to see more clearly. If one really can't tell the difference between directions I think psychs can potentially just exacerbate issues.

I agree

--------------------
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

You are God and I am You

Offlinepenicilliam
Stranger
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: CosmicGiggle] * 1
    #27564958 - 12/01/21 04:07 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Like others I can not consume indoors, except very small amounts. If I have a peaceful calm area outdoors, especially if the sun is out, my anxiety or depression won't taint the direction of the trip. If I have anxiety about the trip itself, that's a different story. I do have to make sure I don't have a predetermined notion or expectation of the trip.

I routinely use it to bump my mood if I'm swinging low. Due to logistics I didn't have my first substantial trip until I had reached a place where I could accept a negative outcome. Meaning I wasn't worried or preoccupied by thoughts of what if it makes me worse, what if it does nothing. I wanted to know what was on the other side having been through years of therapy and various antidepressants. That lack of expectation was what set me up to have such an easy time. I went from a low place in my life, to walking down the street and thinking that it's great to be alive. The thought stunned me because I couldn't ever remember thinking that. I spent more than year wanting to do it before I had both the means and acceptance of any outcome.

OfflineTerdleMountain
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: penicilliam] * 1
    #27565449 - 12/01/21 10:34 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I'll trip no matter what my emotional state is. If I'm depressed or anxious, I consider it an opportunity to examine what is fueling those feelings. But this is where I think many get the idea of "set" wrong. It does not necessarily mean going into your trip happy as hell, to me, a good mind set is going in with commitment to fully explore what comes your way, to accept it all as being an already existing part of yourself and, most of all, being open to learning about the parts of yourself that are normally hidden away by your ego.

But shrooms are no magic bullet and they can open up things that are extremely difficult to integrate. Imagine the hardest thing you have been through emotionally and understand that your ego was protecting you from feeling the worst of that experience. Shrooms will reduce that protective factor and pull up the things the ego had stashed away, forcing them into your awareness and making you deal with them.

It's real work, it can be very painful. In my own experience using shrooms to heal has been the number one mostt difficult things ever in my life, they have brought me to the blackest parts of my being and forced me to take a long look at what was there.. and I'm talking about weeks AFTER the trip.

But the thing that keeps me going is the fact that they have facilitated a great deal of healing. I honestly believe that I'd have committed suicide months ago had tripping not brought me some relief and a great deal of insight into why I suffered the way I have. I'm still suffering, but not in the same way. Before it was just dark, pointeless and never ending misery that I just could not understand. Now, I feel more connected to my emotions and I get it, there is a reason behind the pain (mostly not seeing reality as it is and instead veiwing myself and the world through a series of warped expectations that just are not true)... and that there is a way to be truely away from the suffering.

This aint an easy route to take, it's hard over time (months in my case, but I've some nasty baggage) and it takes a real desire to heal, but, yeah, it works and it is freaking worth it.

And, the anxiety has never really impacted my trip on higher doses. My bigger trips have always been awesome, but the time afterwards has been where the difficulties come in. Things get brought to the surface, demanding attention.

Low dose trips have been the most difficult (and rewarding). They have made me understand how deep and powerful emotions can be...  cuts both directions!

Invisiblemultifractal
Student
 User Gallery

Loc: Cumtown
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: penicilliam]
    #27565456 - 12/01/21 10:42 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Personally, i prefer LSD to psilocybin for the treatment of depression. Psilocybin always comes with some level of guilt and the whole trip is sometimes centered around overcoming that guilt and identifying ways to make up for whatever it is I feel bad about, which can be very useful and productive but also can kind of suck. I've taken mushrooms when feeling pretty down and had great times AFTER I was able to use the experience to work through whatever was bothering me. I've also been buried under miles of dark, depressive ocean being crushed for hours. That's when a change of scenery is necessary if possible. Even if I never find complete solace from my anxiety/depression on the trip it does allow me to really focus in on a nuanced conception of it and identify causes that are useful conversation points.  On LSD alone I never feel anxious. It is a mellow groove that makes me feel so damn loose, both physically and mentally, and instills in me an overwhelming sense of the recognition that to be anything at all is a miracle. That feeling makes any anxiety I had that day before dosing seem so absurd and I just want to live with monkeys and eat mangoes forever.

Edited by multifractal (12/01/21 10:43 PM)

Offlinepenicilliam
Stranger
Re: For those who use mushrooms to combat anxiety and/or depression [Re: TerdleMountain]
    #27565464 - 12/01/21 10:47 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

TerdleMountain said:
I'll trip no matter what my emotional state is...

I agree with pretty much all that. I didn't and don't come at it from the perspective of having fun. Not that it can't be and nor do I see anything wrong with the fun of it. I'm there to do work, for the catharsis, and what lies on the other side.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Penis Envy Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate