Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShroomShroom1
Stranger
How to handle a bad trip? * 1
    #26755929 - 06/18/20 10:58 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Better safe than sorry, I know, prevention is key. But sometimes, things don't go as planned, and I would like to know what are your tips in case a trip experience goes wrong.

How to handle a bad trip with shrooms? Whether it's happening to me on my own or to a friend I'm tripping with.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: ShroomShroom1] * 1
    #26756020 - 06/19/20 12:25 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Do not panic, rule #1.
Change your situation: if you’re inside, go outside; change rooms; change the lighting; go to bed; walk around the garden; music on, music off. You get the idea - change the inputs, which drive your perceptions and feelings.
Turn everything off, sir still, head in hands, hands on knees, ride it out.

Have been watching a few YouTube videos on this recently; what does seem successful is not to consider you’re having a bad trip, but there is something that needs to come out. So rather doing all I said above, instead, try to work out why you’re feeling anxious, what is driving the emotion? When you put things into tht kind of context, is it really a bad trip? Or rather, is it a challenging trip?

Tough one, because when you’re in that fight or flight response, it’s very difficult to be rational. But you have to try......

Take care
DJ Ed

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”
Michael Pollan: How To Change Your Mind

“The problem is not to find the answer, it’s to face the answer.”
Terence McKenna

InvisibleCosmic_Flame
THE BREAKFAST EMPRESS
Female User Gallery

Loc: Under The Sea
Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: DJ Ed]
    #26756354 - 06/19/20 05:30 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Adding on to the advice above

Music but not just any music, specific songs that no matter your state of mind will bring you comfort and feelings positivity. Think of music tracks (or any sound/audio) as a rope to hang on to and let it guide you back into neutral/positive thought loops. So whatever those songs are, have them easily accessible.

If its your friend, tell them "its alright" "I'm with you" "We're in this together" "You're going to be ok" "Everything is beautiful", essentially you want to stay positive for them, do not panic. Be a positive anchor to their boat on a sudden chaotic ocean.

--------------------
Pull the blinds and change their minds....

OfflineShroomShroom1
Stranger
Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: Cosmic_Flame]
    #26757034 - 06/19/20 10:50 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for your replies! I'm more interested in what to do if it's a friend, especially one who would not have tried shrooms before.

Changing the setting seems to be a good advice, I'll try to remember that one. Comforting them also, but I already had this one in mind.

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: ShroomShroom1]
    #26757059 - 06/19/20 11:03 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Encourage them to face up to whatever is troubling them, and or to explore the feelings.

--------------------
“It’s like when you see a mountain lion,” he suggested. “If you run, it will chase you. So you must stand your ground.”

Terence McKenna

OfflineLosTresOjos
Humano
I'm a teapot
Loc: Hurling Through Space
    #26757125 - 06/19/20 11:27 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

How to handle others who are having a bad time.....

Do Not Panic. Keep calm.

OfflineTotodile386
Foreigner, Vegan, Pesticide-Free
Female User Gallery

Loc: Oregon Flag
Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: LosTresOjos] * 1
    #26757152 - 06/19/20 11:38 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Just make sure it's a good day before you take something. That's the best general advice for it.

Antipsychotics were the best trip-reducer for me. Sometimes, I just take antipsychotics alone to ground myself, mellow out, and make time fly.

But just know that the Lord Jesus who cares is the best medicine. :wink:

Edited by Totodile386 (06/19/20 11:38 AM)

InvisibleR.I.P.Zappa
Myco Melyco

Loc: In Between Space and Time Flag
Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: Totodile386]
    #26758069 - 06/19/20 05:39 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Just let go and never go into the fetal position.

When the trip is so bad that any music is tourture; I found just staring at the wall in a vegetative state and not thinking of anything works rather well. If I'm lucky, I loose consciousness for a hour.

It also helps to remember, the first two-three hours are often hell but heaven comes for the last 3-5.
If it's bad trip due to an upset stomach, heartburn, excedera, whether it's the shrooms fault or not,,, well those are the worst. For some reason an upset stomach and tripping kills visuals and envokes nonstop mind fuckery for a good 4-6 hours for me. If my stomach feels slightly off I abort even starting the mission because I know better from experience.

Had so many bad trips twice a week after the wife died for a year I'm actually disappointed the next day when things go too smoothly. :justdontknow:

Probably because I don't feel like I survived imminent doom the night before.:awesomenod:
One time I had had such a bad trip I actually thought, I'm getting to old for this shit, then after the peak subsided and the visuals and euphoria kicked in I just smiled and said to my self, "There cannot be order without chaos!! I love tripping!!".

Bottom line, remind yourself that your not gonna die even though you wish you were dead for a couple hours because you'll most likely feel amazing  later or brand new the next day. :1upmario:

Also for me, everyone reacts a bit diffrent; I avoid tripping when I have anxiety that will not go away or an upset stomach, it makes a bad trip a horrid trip with no visuals and a major restless mind fuck.

--------------------
-The heaviest thing one will ever carry is a thought-
-"Like a Blind man In an orgy you gotta feel things out.".-
-When we agree about our hallucinations, we call it “reality".-
-If you defy authority because your told to, that's no better than blindly trusting authority.-

psychonautwiki.org

How it should & shouldn't look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE
BOD's Easy AF OAT prep tek.
Principles of mushroom growing for beginners

OfflineReverance
Bringer of Light

Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: R.I.P.Zappa]
    #26758418 - 06/19/20 07:55 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

put on some allman brothers

jk

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: R.I.P.Zappa] * 1
    #26758849 - 06/20/20 12:41 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

RIP Zappa, you’ve touched a nerve with so many things you said there! Lol, you could have been describing my 2020!

Had my first real bad trip in. 30 years 2 months ago! And that was after having multiple “intense” but not rewarding , euphoric ending trips!

My advice mimics yours; to ride it out. I was sat there, head in hands, hands on knees, music off, lights on low, barely peeping out from above my hands. Checking every few thousand years to see if it was calming down yet.

What has been really getting to me though, is the fact that it doesn’t turn nice at 3 hours. 2 to 3 hours in when the intensity exponentially intensifies, nd the badness starts!.

There’s not a lot you can do, apart from take an extended break! Currently too scared to dip my toes back in the pool, after tripping for over 30 years! Got to give these little buggers respect!

Take care
DJ Ed

--------------------

Terence McKenna

InvisibleStaplerhead
Phanner

#26759082 - 06/20/20 03:49 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Dim the lights > Spiders

--------------------
You know It's gonna get stranger, let's get on with the show

OfflineDJ Ed
Mushroom Engineer
Male User Gallery

Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: Staplerhead] * 1
    #26759095 - 06/20/20 03:58 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Haha, yes, that’s why I was peeking from behind my fingers lol.

The other thing that touched a nerve was; “I’m getting too old for this shit”. I said that phrase exactly, the morning after said “bad trip”.

The other one I have been known to utter is; “why do I keep doing this to myself?”

Take care
DJ Ed

--------------------

Terence McKenna

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: DJ Ed] * 1
    #26759540 - 06/20/20 10:14 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

nobody here is over 100, so definitely not too old, even 120 is not too old.

if a friend is troubled, I look for physical issues:
too hot, too cold, clothing too tight, needs to go to bathroom, thirsty,
room too bright, sounds dissonant, sounds aggressive, visuals aggressive,

If the body can be made comfortable then the mind can be addressed.

I would try to see what troubling thing they thought up, and help them let it be and become steady in the wake of the thought objects that can be troubling.

I might encourage awareness of breath and if the person is lucid enough, I would try to point out how mental contents arise and fade but linger as influencers (short term memory).

Influencing mental forms are not the self and not not the self either, they are natural effects. etc. ...

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Offlinewolf8312
Pennywise
 User Gallery

Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: R.I.P.Zappa]
    #26759888 - 06/20/20 01:38 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I don't think anything I can say here will be much good when one is actually having a truly terrible trip. I always used to roll my eyes at the advice 'remind yourself it isn't real' because at the time it always is real, and by that point whatever hallucinations one may be experiencing are frankly irrelevant.

You're staring straight into the grim inevitable's of life/death itself, and the fear and anguish of all that is no longer repressed by blessed/ignorant sanity. At the time it seems frankly meaningless if it should happen now, or in 30 years time, because you have already come to the horrifying realization that when it does happen, it will not be in the distant future but right now, and not just you yourself, but everyone you love and care about with every fibre of your being.

The truth is (at least IMO) that a bad trip is just a conscious manifestation of what must, and will inevitably occur. The bad side of life.

The side of life we repress, which is why anyone who decides to take a full on psychedelic experience (especially alone) should be prepared for a so called 'bad' trip. One cannot 'manifest his mind' and hope to avoid its dark side!

The problem is users are led to believe that 'bad' trips or difficult experiences are mistakes, or fuck ups, or that the experience, when done right, is supposed to be good! It really isn't. In life, there are good days and bad days, as well as good and bad trips. 

The only comfort I can really offer is that when these kinds of trips do occur, think of them as practice! It is coming, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.

The best lesson I ever learned during bad trips (especially cannabis) was the realization that ultimately I had two choices. Die kicking and screaming, or just die (without kicking and screaming)! It sounds ridiculously obvious I know, but what I mean is... getting upset and traumatizing oneself will not in any way alter the inevitable outcome, and will only make the experience a thousand times worse...

A famous philosopher once said 'experience is bad experience' and I wholeheartedly agree. A good trip can be fun, especially with friends but it is only during the bad experiences that we actually learn anything.

By having bad trips, we learn how to handle bad trips!

--------------------
"I'm every nightmare you ever had. I am your worst dreams come true. I am everything you ever were afraid of."

Pennywise the dancing clown

Edited by wolf8312 (06/20/20 01:56 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: wolf8312]
    #26759945 - 06/20/20 01:59 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

that is so bad it's great!

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleR.I.P.Zappa
Myco Melyco

Loc: In Between Space and Time Flag
    #26760066 - 06/20/20 02:55 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

The other one I have been known to utter is; “why do I keep doing this to myself?”

Take care
DJ Ed

:whathesaid: oh yeah then a while later I platue, my eyes brighten up and I exclaim, Oh yeah, now I remember why I do this!

And good stuff wolf and Red. :thumbup:
One quote from Marcus Aurelius always comes to mind about bad trips or even when my last minutes alive here come is,,,; "When death comes smiling, all a man can do is smile back."

--------------------
-The heaviest thing one will ever carry is a thought-
-"Like a Blind man In an orgy you gotta feel things out.".-
-When we agree about our hallucinations, we call it “reality".-
-If you defy authority because your told to, that's no better than blindly trusting authority.-

psychonautwiki.org

How it should & shouldn't look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE
BOD's Easy AF OAT prep tek.
Principles of mushroom growing for beginners

OfflineTeaAndCrumpets
Stranger
Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: ShroomShroom1]
    #26762132 - 06/21/20 02:46 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I basically always tell myself "You took a drug. It's going to wear off in a few hours and everything is going to be ok".

I don't know about other people, but I find that I typically get so wrapped up in the experience I forget that I'm tripping and think that the psychedelic headspace is normal. When I remind myself of what's going on, I find that the trip gets a lot more manageable. Whether or not this works depends on why I'm having a bad trip though.

Also, like other people have suggested, I try and change my environment if possible and I look for some kind of peaceful music. For me, music can make or break a trip and keep me from freaking out when things start to go south.

If all else fails, I straight up just pull out my phone and start mindlessly watching youtube. It's a good distraction and gets my mind off of things, but I don't like to do this except as a last resort.

OfflineMarmie
Peter peter portion eater
I'm a teapot

Loc: Deep inside the night
Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: TeaAndCrumpets]
    #26762191 - 06/21/20 03:49 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Sing

--------------------

InvisibleFerdinando
Male

Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: Marmie]
    #26762494 - 06/21/20 08:47 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

yes I agree it will be like someone is strangling you now that you are not ready for it

it was not a horrible experience when I tried suicide, dying would not have been horribel (experience it had been horrible but you get it it would have been like driving a roller coaster down to the bottom don't do it and don't try suicide of course

everyone loves everyone

i I just have to write it so the idea is forever I might be the only one or one of the only one's who understand it

in case I could get it better I would have a good time because I did not get it worse since then and I would not have gotten it better (not evern of a higher quality from it)

but yes I will not be ready for death when I die

none of us will

just got to get the best out of it till then

and make the best of it

--------------------
with our love with our love we could save the world

InvisibleFerdinando
Male

Re: How to handle a bad trip? [Re: Ferdinando]
    #26762503 - 06/21/20 08:53 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

yeah so we wouldn't get it of a higher quality from dying and that tells me that it's not negative

help your family and take the weeds out

be good to all your family be kind and honest try to be more kind and honest and heal painting is a great way to heal

honestly we would became so insanely happy if we would just paint the proper amount ime (even just 30 mins a day, it's incredibly crazy or far our or anti-far out but that's the reality

god had a favorite with painting or the universe is constructed so painting makes you get it better fast

one day after painting half an hour or an hour a month after you may say to yourself damn I have it good or much better than I hadn't painted

and in case one did that half an hour a day

in case I did that and nothing else my life would be ok

--------------------
with our love with our love we could save the world

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag