Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAtmozFear
just a shade of myself
Male

Will antidepressants and/or antipsychotics block mushroom trips?
    #26750878 - 06/17/20 07:23 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I am 36 years old and was diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder (schizophrenia with bipolar) when I was 16.  I have been taking Seroquel and Zyprexa for the larger part of my life.  I also take Effexor (antidepressant) and Gabapentin (mood stabilizer)... and my goal here is not to share my experiences or talk about my illness like some little girls do because they want to sound interesting.  I have taken mushrooms about a couple dozen times and never once felt anything but heat and sweats.  Does my medicine block the effects?  and if so, can I try taking a higher dose?  I have already tried eating a half-ounce dried and still nothing happened.  I still have horrifying panic attacks and sometimes they are so bad I am holding onto consciousness by a thread... and for the first time two nights ago, I had dissociative symptoms from a particular nasty one.  The medicine I take helps immensely, but does nothing for my panic attacks.  I discussed them with my doctor many times, but my next appointment is next week and I plan on discussing my 'leaving of the body' the other night and maybe I need alternative medicine.  But now I don't even know if shrooms will work. 

Going back to my initial question, can I try taking a massive amount and maybe that will work?  Again not here to talk about my illness.  Simply a mushroom question.  Thanks.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

Re: Will antidepressants and/or antipsychotics block mushroom trips? [Re: AtmozFear]
    #26750892 - 06/17/20 07:29 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Mushrooms are strong. Since you have had troubles in the past you may not want to trip. You need to make peace with panic and disassociation when tripping or they will swallow you.

And I'm not sure the science behind it but those types of drugs can definitely prevent tripping.

--------------------
"That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.”
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
:acidfire::tmckenna:

OfflineAtmozFear
just a shade of myself
Male

Re: Will antidepressants and/or antipsychotics block mushroom trips? [Re: The Mycologist]
    #26750903 - 06/17/20 07:32 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

thanks

--------------------

Offlinescarabaeus
Stranger

Re: Will antidepressants and/or antipsychotics block mushroom trips? [Re: AtmozFear]
    #26751053 - 06/17/20 08:42 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Friend, please listen to me. The last thing in the world you need right now is a P'delic messing with your brain chemistry. P'delics aren't for everybody -even people who are not on the meds you are, so don't feel like you are missing out on something. I had a girfriend who had the most rock solid mindset of anyone I ever met in my life. Shrooms (one trip) unbalanced her and it took her a couple months to get back to baseline. This was the last person in the world I ever thought would have a hiccup with this stuff.

I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but just trying to give you something to think about.  I just want you to be safe.

OfflineAtmozFear
just a shade of myself
Male

Re: Will antidepressants and/or antipsychotics block mushroom trips? [Re: scarabaeus]
    #26751229 - 06/17/20 09:58 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

really appreciate it.  I don't think I'm going to try it.  I already know small doses don't work, and I don't want to take a monster dose that sneaks up on me.  again, thanks so much

--------------------

OfflineFrenziedTortoise
    #26751364 - 06/17/20 10:56 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I've been on all of those meds before also. I always stop taking them except seroquel which I'm physiologically tethered to because I won't sleep without it.

Without looking at the others I know for sure seroquel blocks the 5HT2a receptor psilocybin acts on. The olanzapine (zyprexa) might also since they're in the same chemical class (seroquel's chemical name is 'quetiapine', which ends in 'pine' the same as olanazapine - means they're in the same pharmaceutical class).

I've reduced my seroquel from 1000mg p/d to 50-100. For me shrooms still work at this dose. I don't get the happy feelings most users report, but that might just be my character. Instead I get visuals,  introspection and tumult. If anything I've found I might be a little more sensitive to psilocybin than others, which might theoretically make sense:

Seroquel antagonises 5HT2a receptors, along with a laundry list of others, which means it goes to the neuron's receptor site and lodges there preventing normal 5HT2a from docking there and having an effect. If you do that for a long time, which I have, the brain might attempt to adapt by increasing the number of 5HT2a receptor sites to regain functional homeostasis.

The gabapentin should be fine: it works on different receptors entirely. The effexor I'm not sure of, but since it's an SNRI (if memory serves) I'd expect it to have negligible effect. The only interaction I imagine is a minimal enhancement: it encourages more monoamines to hang around which would (theoretically) use up more MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors). Since MAOIs also break down psilocyn there might be less MAOI to facilitate breakdown(?). The general dulling of emotional lability might have some impact too. Not sure.

My advice would be: definitely don't take massive doses looking to overwhelm the meds. If you succeed you might find you've succeeded by a huge margin and might blow yourself clean into outer space.

Instead consider slowly decreasing the medication doses while keeping the shroom dose steady. That way if you finally break through you won't do so in a way that totally fucks you up.

The last thing you want if you have anxiety issues is to be tripping balls though, so be careful not to have too much. I accidentally took too much (for me) recently and was facing some serious anxiety. Thankfully the dose was just manageable. Any higher and I feel like I might have had a psychotic break.

With regard to the anxiety, if you don't mind my asking, does it kick in around 45-75mins after taking seroquel? For me it does.

OfflineAtmozFear
just a shade of myself
Male

Re: Will antidepressants and/or antipsychotics block mushroom trips? [Re: FrenziedTortoise]
    #26751567 - 06/17/20 12:38 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

thank you for all that... so courteous.  Yes Seroquel kicks in about that time... lol I actually get goofy when I take my afternoon dose for some reason!  Me and my family call it "the five o'clock pill!"

Zyprexa makes you feel nothing at all.  I talked to my doctor many times about this and I finally recommended to him that maybe people with depression could take it as a temporary, emotional pain killer... let me explain...  when you take a hard drug like cocaine or heroin (never done heroin but two of my best friends died from overdose - I'm from Baltimore), to get rid of depression, depression is still on the back of your mind.  With Zyprexa, you feel NOTHING.  My doctor responded that that assumption was correct and that the newest antidepressant on the market is made up half of Zyprexa and half something else.  I've never looked it up because my Effexor works fine for that.  Maybe I'll look up the name of it later.  Anyway, Zyprexa could help someone with depression not by killing their pain, but giving them a chance for their mind to maneuver.  My cousin died of suicide and this could have saved his life.

btw the two best friends that I mentioned were actually brothers who lived next door.  Both dead.  One died laying on a radiator and they didn't find him until days later and some of his skin was melted off.  Another family I know was also wiped out by heroin - another set of brothers.  And many many more than I can count have died of this.

But back to the psychiatric drugs... I have been taking the same four, combined doses of Effexor, Zyprexa, Gabapentin, and Seroquel for over a decade, at the same times everyday; and I hardly feel any drugged up effect at all anymore- only good, normal feelings and thoughts!  They saved my life!

Anyway, my two cents :evil:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract