Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDrMambo
hamburger time
 User Gallery

Loc: 53rd & 3rd
Chicken of the Forest Analogues
    #2674910 - 05/13/04 05:39 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

On a recent mushroom hunt in the northeast, I came upon a large fallen tree coated with lavalike flows of yellow/orange mushrooms. I went onto the internet and quite quickly came up with pictures of Chicken of the Forest (Laetiporus sulphureus). Anyway, as I am not an expert mycologist, I am obviously not going to jut pluck these things off and eat them. On the other hand, they look identical to all the images I've seen, and are growing in quite an abundance. My question is this: Are there any similar looking mushrooms in the northeast that are also toxic? I hope to get a picture of them up here ASAP.

--------------------
"Yeah, he's a professor...... OF BEING A DOG!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Chicken of the Forest Analogues [Re: DrMambo]
    #2675958 - 05/13/04 09:24 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Fortunately, Laetiporus sulphureus is one of the more distinctive and easy mushrooms. You need to verify the following:

Shelflike, stalkless mushroom in overlapping clusters on trees, stumps, or logs
Upper surface smooth to suedelike and bright orange
Undersurface bright yellow with tiny pores

There is a variety of this species that has a white undersurface. Both are edible.

That description is from Edible Wild Mushrooms of North America by David Fischer and Alan Bessette. If you're interested in edible wild mushrooms, it's one of the best books you could own. And, if you use the link I have provided, the Shroomery will get a little cash from your purchase of this book.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates