Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Next > | Last >
Invisiblebare.whiterabbit
Lapin Blanc
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Microwave Flag
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: for_ta_tios]
    #26739787 - 06/12/20 02:44 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

for_ta_tios said:
Hi all,

I started to spawn these on the 31st of May

I was looking through the posts about contaminants and the mycelium seems to be quite thick so thinking it may be contaminated. Or are they ready to move in to a shotgun fruiting chamber yet?

There is also one that has some yellowing on the side, I was wondering if that is contaminated. If it is can I cut that bit out and still try to fruit the rest of the cake?

Thanks for any input/help

It is very thick, but I think if you can successfully cut and cauterize that part, then you may still be able to fruit it.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefor_ta_tios
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: bare.whiterabbit]
    #26739809 - 06/12/20 02:55 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for the reply.

How far off from moving to the fruiting stage are they?

InvisiblePnwmushroomnomad
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26740004 - 06/12/20 04:40 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Had a contaminated Golden teacher Brf jar that I decided to let continue to colonize for shits and gigs. About 5 days ago these pins showed up and are continuing to get bigger lol. The bacteria is definitely still present but for experimentation I shall let it go for another couple weeks and break the bad boy out in the forest to examine the center.

--------------------
The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want.

Lapin Blanc

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Pnwmushroomnomad]
    #26740255 - 06/12/20 06:33 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

for_ta_tios said:
Thanks for the reply.

How far off from moving to the fruiting stage are they?

Depends upon whether or not that's only bare spot left to colonize? If so then as soon as that area you cut out finishes up and looks healthy again you can fruit it.

I do recommend looking into a proper pasteurization method for your sub, as it gives you much better odds of staving off contam to allow your myc to finish.

Quote:

Pnwmushroomnomad said:
Had a contaminated Golden teacher Brf jar that I decided to let continue to colonize for shits and gigs. About 5 days ago these pins showed up and are continuing to get bigger lol. The bacteria is definitely still present but for experimentation I shall let it go for another couple weeks and break the bad boy out in the forest to examine the center.

Hard to tell from that picture, but where are you seeing bacteria?

--------------------

InvisiblePnwmushroomnomad
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26740268 - 06/12/20 06:39 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

My bad I should have shown the other side of the jar. Here it is 🤙

--------------------
The Lord is my shepherd I shall not want.

OfflineCosmoknot
Stranger
Cobweb mold? [Re: Pnwmushroomnomad]
    #26740545 - 06/12/20 08:33 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Hi, I inoculated this jar with a spore syringe 16 days ago. I started to see some fuzzy white growth on the top grains about 10 days in and it has been slowly spreading downwards. Does this look like mold or mycelium? It doesn't smell at all. Thanks.

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
Re: Cobweb mold? [Re: Cosmoknot]
    #26740557 - 06/12/20 08:37 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

looks like mold

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
    #26740598 - 06/12/20 08:56 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

for_ta_tios said:
Hi all,

I started to spawn these on the 31st of May

I was looking through the posts about contaminants and the mycelium seems to be quite thick so thinking it may be contaminated. Or are they ready to move in to a shotgun fruiting chamber yet?

There is also one that has some yellowing on the side, I was wondering if that is contaminated. If it is can I cut that bit out and still try to fruit the rest of the cake?

Thanks for any input/help

do you mist the tub?

yellow slur is metabolites as far as I know, I had a couple of BRF jars with that problem b4 so crumbled them and made a few little pots with substrate mixed them up, they grew nicely.

trial and error see what works, dont know what is a better solution.

Edited by F. 3 (06/12/20 08:57 PM)

Offlinefor_ta_tios
Stranger
    #26741743 - 06/13/20 12:42 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

There is still a little bit of substrate showing through, and it seems like the growth has started to stall a little too.

When you say to cut it do you mean just the surface or take that whole section of the cake out?

I used the bucket tek for coco coir and vermiculite but maybe I was a bit sloppy

Offlinefor_ta_tios
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: F. 3]
    #26741758 - 06/13/20 12:49 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

This isn't a monotub grow. I used a bulk substrate with colonised grains, I put that in to two 20L tubs which are covered in cling film with a finger sized hole through it and left to colonise. I plan on moving them in to a SGFC to fruit once they are colonised.

Would you recommend doing anything about the yellow part, or would it be fine to put it straight in to the SGFC

Lapin Blanc

#26741988 - 06/13/20 02:54 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

for_ta_tios said:
There is still a little bit of substrate showing through, and it seems like the growth has started to stall a little too.

When you say to cut it do you mean just the surface or take that whole section of the cake out?

I used the bucket tek for coco coir and vermiculite but maybe I was a bit sloppy

Basically, use a clean blade and cut into the sub and dig away the un-colonized portion until you see healthy myc all the way around and then you can take a hot knife or metal tool and literally cauterize the area to burn off any bacteria. The myc will come back and finish recolonizing that part and it should survive. But never any guarantees.

Might get away with just cutting it out, but we've had better success with burning away the little bit of fuckery afterward.

--------------------

Lapin Blanc

#26742000 - 06/13/20 02:59 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

for_ta_tios said:
This isn't a monotub grow. I used a bulk substrate with colonised grains, I put that in to two 20L tubs which are covered in cling film with a finger sized hole through it and left to colonise. I plan on moving them in to a SGFC to fruit once they are colonised.

Would you recommend doing anything about the yellow part, or would it be fine to put it straight in to the SGFC

When it comes to colonizing your sub, we highly recommend wax paper over cling. You want small 2-3mm holes every couple inches across the whole surface and or you can fold the paper every inch to corrugate it, so that it sits off the surface and allows for GE. If there isn't enough gas exchange the CO2 build up with choke out your myc often times and an oxygen deprived sub is a breeding ground for bacteria.

You could attempt to fruit it with the yellow, but you run the risk of it spreading like crazy after you've pulled your first harvest, if not before then. I would cut that part out and if they rest of full colonized then just fruit it.

--------------------

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
    #26742111 - 06/13/20 03:54 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

:whathesaid:

Offline806diaz806
Mush-Addiction
 User Gallery

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: F. 3]
    #26742218 - 06/13/20 04:49 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

[gradient:#,#][/gradient] <a href="http://www.freebiebitcoin.com">Earn free bitcoin</a>

Lapin Blanc

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: 806diaz806]
    #26742236 - 06/13/20 05:01 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

806diaz806 said:
[gradient:#,#][/gradient] <a href="http://www.freebiebitcoin.com">Earn free bitcoin</a>

Nope.

:boom:

--------------------

Lapin Blanc

Re: Cobweb mold? [Re: Cosmoknot]
    #26742246 - 06/13/20 05:06 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Cosmoknot said:
Hi, I inoculated this jar with a spore syringe 16 days ago. I started to see some fuzzy white growth on the top grains about 10 days in and it has been slowly spreading downwards. Does this look like mold or mycelium? It doesn't smell at all. Thanks.

Sorry, hadn't seen this one before. If it hadn't been 16 days I'd be inclined to say just wait, because MS can take quite a while, but given what I'm seeing and that time frame I do in fact think it may be mold and is worthy of throwing out.

You could shake them up a bit first and see if you see a solid white mass underneath it, but my money is on probably not.

--------------------

OfflineMayoyumyum
Stranger
Black Mold [Re: bare.whiterabbit]
    #26742498 - 06/13/20 07:09 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Hi people,

I came across some black patches and I want to confirm whether it is contamination

Background:

1. First time using cake
2. Standard SGFC
3. Fruiting started since mid April. Very poor condition (gradually improved) and pins are still forming
4. I am guilty of over misting in the past with pooling at the bottom

Problem:
I noticed some black patches at the bottom of my cake. Pictures from today can be found in:

Picture from last week in:

There is some significant change in colour intensity but not extent

Now i paid attention to the black patches and i realised I have similar dot on the top of the cake. (Spotted for around 3 weeks ago with no/ little visual change.

I attempted to scrap off the black patches, they feel like they are from the verm casing. For example on the top side, I get random black spot that is obviously from the casing (uneven surface that is not on the mycelium). The black patches feel spongy like pins. I am nervous of it being Aspergillus

There is no obvious but natural earthy smell.

I also noticed one corner of the cakes feels spongy (not mushy) but do not change shape easily. I can feel it is hard inside within 1cm depth.

Do you have any idea what is going on? Is there any immediate action I should take?

I will be extremely grateful if you can help me out with this.

with many thanks,

InvisibleF. 3
Flowing
Other
Re: Black Mold [Re: Mayoyumyum]
    #26743598 - 06/14/20 08:23 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Mayoyumyum said:
Hi people,

I came across some black patches and I want to confirm whether it is contamination

Background:

1. First time using cake
2. Standard SGFC
3. Fruiting started since mid April. Very poor condition (gradually improved) and pins are still forming
4. I am guilty of over misting in the past with pooling at the bottom

Problem:
I noticed some black patches at the bottom of my cake. Pictures from today can be found in:

Picture from last week in:

There is some significant change in colour intensity but not extent

Now i paid attention to the black patches and i realised I have similar dot on the top of the cake. (Spotted for around 3 weeks ago with no/ little visual change.

I attempted to scrap off the black patches, they feel like they are from the verm casing. For example on the top side, I get random black spot that is obviously from the casing (uneven surface that is not on the mycelium). The black patches feel spongy like pins. I am nervous of it being Aspergillus

There is no obvious but natural earthy smell.

I also noticed one corner of the cakes feels spongy (not mushy) but do not change shape easily. I can feel it is hard inside within 1cm depth.

Do you have any idea what is going on? Is there any immediate action I should take?

I will be extremely grateful if you can help me out with this.

with many thanks,

Hard to tell, it can be verm particulates gathered from pooling and filled the gaps.

doesnt look like it changed a lot in a weeks time besides going darker, you should def stop watering the thing, maybe thats why the corner feels spongy.

OfflineStickyBay
Stranger
I'm a teapot

Loc: UK Flag
Start of something...? [Re: Kizzle]
    #26744284 - 06/14/20 03:14 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Hi all,

Just got my first rye mono going on the 8th June, I was always expecting it to flop (jumped in a bit early as is the all too classic noob way, I'm sorry, I've started properly now...) and its colonizing fine but has got some sporophore looking stuff on the hpoo/verm sub. It hasn't spread much if at all in 24hrs so feeling it can't be cobweb, but also doesn't look like the other myc there.

I couldn't get hold of and h2o2 today but have some coming tomorrow so will spray regularly in 12hr intervals. I've also hit it with some light and increased GE, after much reading and realization of mistakes at spawning.

All that said, do I just need to throw it out now, and how do I safely do that from the tub?

Sorry for the poor pictures, I didn't want to stick my head in the tub just in case it's something sinister...

All helped hugely appreciated as always.

Lapin Blanc

Re: Start of something...? [Re: StickyBay]
    #26744579 - 06/14/20 05:52 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

StickyBay said:
Hi all,

Just got my first rye mono going on the 8th June, I was always expecting it to flop (jumped in a bit early as is the all too classic noob way, I'm sorry, I've started properly now...) and its colonizing fine but has got some sporophore looking stuff on the hpoo/verm sub. It hasn't spread much if at all in 24hrs so feeling it can't be cobweb, but also doesn't look like the other myc there.

I couldn't get hold of and h2o2 today but have some coming tomorrow so will spray regularly in 12hr intervals. I've also hit it with some light and increased GE, after much reading and realization of mistakes at spawning.

All that said, do I just need to throw it out now, and how do I safely do that from the tub?

Sorry for the poor pictures, I didn't want to stick my head in the tub just in case it's something sinister...

All helped hugely appreciated as always.

LOOKS a little too fluffy to be myc, but because you have those other small breakthroughs around the edges, it COULD be. I'd take it away from your standard grow area and give it another week and if it doesn't get thicker and more solid white then I think it's pin/cob and at that point it may be fucked. You might be able to kill it off with a little peroxide, but again that's never a guarantee. Sorry, man.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Boomr Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom