Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Teen Suicide
    #2673499 - 05/13/04 02:28 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Hynotoad stated:

Forgive if I come off as dramatic or extreme but, comments likes this have often caused young people to commit suicide. Young minds are fragile ecosystems as it is and soemtimes a comment like this will push them right over the edge. Especially if they're standing on the edge already due to rough life circumstances or what not. I personally have known people to commit suicide or harmful comments like this one because they were so down and depressed and hurt as it was and it was the dagger in the heart to push them just far enough over the edge.

As we have lost two young members in this manner in the last year or two, what exactly is our responsibility to other members; especially from those of us who are older and allegedly wiser?

Isn't how we deal with others' struggles much more of an indicator of our spiritual nature rather than how loudly we boast of our achievements?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
Re: Teen Suicide [Re: Swami]
    #2673588 - 05/13/04 02:54 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"Isn't how we deal with others' struggles much more of an indicator of our spiritual nature rather than how loudly we boast of our achievements?"

Indeed it is sir.

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

#2673602 - 05/13/04 03:01 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

If we ourselves don't take responsibility for the welfare of our fellow men and women.Who will?

"Isn't how we deal with others' struggles much more of an indicator of our spiritual nature rather than how loudly we boast of our achievements?"

There are those who are truely spiritual and those who feign spirituality.True spirituality is putting it into action in everything you do.The truely spiritual are humble.For they know that no being is any better or any more important than any other being.Degradation and personal attacks certainly are not the actions of a person who knows all beings are equally important.It is the actions of beings trying to rise above others by pushing them down or the actions of a being feeding their ego trying to elevate one's self higher above others in their own mind.This is an illusion.Isnt this what spirituality is guarding against?Falling prey to illusions?

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2673633 - 05/13/04 03:10 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The internet has become the electronic equivalent of the automobile complete with road rage and the false sense of disconnection it can give. Some people say things here that they would  never say if face-to-face. That's why (over time) the internet is a good revealer of the true character of a person. :wink:

It's so important to remember we aren't operating in a bubble, that there are actual people reading what we say- real people with real feelings! Be respectful and be responsible. If you write something that is mean spirited, be a man, own up to it, and apologize!

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #2673677 - 05/13/04 03:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Everything we encounter changes our view of the world 'out there' (until enlightenment anyway). When we treat someone with respect, compassion and love, we change thier view of the world (however slightly) to one which is more welcoming, friendly and less scary. When we treat someone with hatred and selfishness we change thier view of the world to one which is more hateful, dark and lonely.

Everytime we interact with another human being we either leave them 'better off' or 'worse off'. If we leave them better off, they will be more likely to spread that love to others. If we leave them worse off, they will be more likely to spread fear and hatred to others (unless they are beyond being affected by this).

This is our responsibility to mankind - In every interaction, let's leave the people we meet happier, lighter and more positive. It IS possible to disagree and still be constructive and compassionate.

Whoever it was who treated the girl badly is responsible for not only her suffering but the suffering which she may be more likely to inflict on others as a result. This is basic spirituality and I agree with Swami that it is apropriate discussion on S&P.

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: Teen Suicide [Re: Source]
    #2674075 - 05/13/04 04:57 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Isn't how we deal with others' struggles much more of an indicator of our spiritual nature rather than how loudly we boast of our achievements?

agreed. however, since i'm not up to date on western philosophy, did they ever show that profound negativy for most other people is not a valid spiritual practice?

if we are capable of influencing others by our actions it assumes we must take responsibility not only for our actions, but for how others percieve our actions, and this is no fun game.

idea: feel not bad about spreading negativity, and accept no negativity from others, nor hold it against them. (of course this assumes you're aware of what you're doing and why you're doing it). the more stress and fear we put into the system the sooner those who are instable/have no self center will fall. and since those are the people that are essientially draining those with REAL, UNSHAKEABLE understanding of self and universe, i think the universe would be a much better place.

if you want to love someone go love hitler. (and to pre-empt poeple's responses, i think its just as likely that if more poeple showed hitler love in his life, instead of not wanting to kill poeple, he would have been really happy killing poeple, as maybe he was? what he needed was more upstanding poeple to keep feeding him bitter medicine until he swalled it.)

edit: because i just posted two posts in a row about profound negativity i thought i'd use this small out of the way space to expand a little bit.
basically somehow in my life i've become very aware of the fact that when bad things happen to poeple, they assume its because of an external reason, they don't realise "something bad happened to me because i am a bad person". however, many poeple are very quick to jump on "when something good happens to me its because i'm a GOOD PERSON". poeple don't realise they are both, instead they use false optimism and false positivy to ignore and repress thier faults or conversely deciding "hey thats just me, take me as i am", as though such things were not obvious and ulitmately harmful.
anyhow, just so you know i'm not a hypcrocrite, i of course go through the bitching and moaning phase whenever something bad happens to me, but ultimately i almost ALWAYS use bad stuff happening to me as a way to gain more knowledge, and i really do let go of the bad stuff that happens to me because i learned from my experiance. and just for the sake of balance i'll throw in i'm now working on learning from good stuff happening to me, and then ultimately i'll work on learning from no-thing happening to me.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Edited by truekimbo2 (05/13/04 05:18 PM)

OfflineNickatina
journeyman
Male
Loc: Bay Area, California.
    #2674345 - 05/13/04 05:37 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

someone died from this board?

--------------------
"Make the most of the hemp seed, Sow it everywhere" -George Washington

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #2675108 - 05/13/04 08:25 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

The internet is a mask. You can appear to be anything you want.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology