Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Loc: If I was up yer ass you'd...
Morel season
    #2586424 - 04/21/04 09:51 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

ROASTED PRAWNS WITH MORELS AND MOREL BUTTER

This recipe calls for giant 4 1/2- to 5-ounce prawns, which can be ordered from some specialty fish markets. If unavailable, substitute 24 large prawns.
8 ounces fresh morel mushrooms or 2 ounces dried morel mushrooms*
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
3/4 cup chopped shallots, divided
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme

6 4 1/2- to 5-ounce uncooked giant prawns or 24 large prawns

Finely chop enough fresh morels or reconstituted morels to measure 1/2 cup (packed); reserve remaining morels. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup shallots and garlic; saut? 1 minute. Add chopped morels and thyme; saut? 2 minutes. If using dried morels, add reserved soaking liquid to skillet, leaving any sediment behind. Increase heat; boil until almost all liquid evaporates, about 8 minutes. Transfer morel mixture to small bowl; cool. Mix remaining 7 tablespoons butter into morel mixture. Season lightly with salt and pepper. (Morel butter can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.)

Using scissors, cut along back shell of each prawn all the way up to tail, exposing vein; pull out vein. Turn prawns over. Using small sharp knife and starting just below tail end, butterfly each prawn by cutting 1/4-inch-deep slit to opposite end. Place prawns, shell side down, on rimmed baking sheet. (Can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)

Preheat oven to 500?F. Melt 2 tablespoons morel butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1/2 cup shallots; saut? until golden, about 3 minutes. Add remaining whole fresh morels or reconstituted morels and saut? until tender, about 4 minutes.

Meanwhile, spread 1 teaspoon morel butter over each giant prawn (or 1/4 teaspoon over each of 24 large prawns). Roast just until prawns are opaque in center, about 7 minutes for giant prawns or 4 minutes for large prawns. Top prawns with remaining morel butter, dividing equally. Return to oven just long enough to melt butter slightly, about 10 seconds.

Transfer prawns to plates. Serve saut?ed morels alongside.

*If using dried morels: Bring 3 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Add dried morels. Remove from heat. Cover; let steep 1 hour. Using slotted spoon, transfer morels to bowl. Reserve soaking liquid.

**Morel mushrooms, with their honeycomb design, require thorough soaking in water. Submerge morels in large bowl of water and agitate gently to release dirt, then lift out, leaving grit behind. Pat morels dry and use immediately.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
BASIC BACON & MORELS [Re: sucklesworth]
    #2586454 - 04/21/04 10:05 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Use any amount of morels and one-fourth as much bacon. This is great itself (my personal favorite), easy and fast to prepare in the field or at home.

Cut bacon into small pieces. Fry until ready to remove and eat, but leave in pan. Do not drain grease. Add clean, split morels. Liquid will become "soupy". Cook until grease returns to clarity. Mixture will make a light "popping" noise. Drain. Eat or use.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: BASIC BACON & MORELS [Re: sucklesworth]
    #2586691 - 04/21/04 11:44 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Mmmm morels, any morel only recipes?

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Re: BASIC BACON & MORELS [Re: Organic]
    #2586842 - 04/21/04 12:31 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

a simple saute of butter and garlic is about as good as it gets

you can also bread them with flour, crushed crackers, cornmeal or crushed cornflakes - just season the breading mixture to your liking, dip the mushrooms in eggwash, bread them and cook in butter till golden brown

--------------------

Anonymous

#2658038 - 05/09/04 07:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks, those sound delicious.

OfflineLiquidSmoke
My title's cooler than yours DBK

Loc: S.A.G.G.Y.B.A.L.L.S.
    #2672066 - 05/13/04 01:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Wow I'm totally ignorant on this.

What is a morel?

--------------------
"Shmokin' weed, Shmokin' wizz, doin' coke, drinkin' beers.  Drinkin' beers beers beers, rollin' fatties, smokin' blunts.  Who smokes tha blunts?  We smoke the blunts" - Jay and Silent Bob strike Back

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Re: BASIC BACON & MORELS [Re: LiquidSmoke]
    #2672918 - 05/13/04 09:39 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Re: Morel season [Re: sucklesworth]
    #2672928 - 05/13/04 09:41 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Here's some recipes I stole from other sites - I'm going on a 4 day float next week and will be making supper with morels a night or two.

This one looks good

Stuffed Trout with Morels

6 Trout, small, with heads on
1 Package dry stuffing mix
8 Tablespoons, butter, divided
1 Pound morels, sliced (1 oz of dried)
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 Cup grated mozzarella cheese
Salt
Pepper

Prepare dry stuffing mix as directed on package. Saut? morels in 4 tablespoons of butter for ten minutes. Mix with stuffing, lemon juice, cheese and parsley. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Wash trout in cold water. Pat dry. Lightly salt and pepper cavity. Stuff with mixture.

Place trout side by side in a shallow, buttered baking dish, melt remainder of butter and pour over fish. Add one tablespoon of water and bake for 15 minutes. Baste with more melted butter and bake another 10-15 minutes. To see if they are done, stick a fork in the thickest part, just behind the head. The meat should flake to the bone. (SUGGESTION) In the summertime, I like to cook these on the grill. I spray the grill with Pam or other cooking spray, lay the stuffed trout directly on the grill. It gives a great grill taste to the trout and does not leave a fish smell in your kitchen.

--------------------

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
    #2672935 - 05/13/04 09:43 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

CREAM OF MOREL MUSHROOM SOUP

YIELD 4-6 SERVINGS

1 Pound morels

Juice of one lemon

6 Tablespoons butter

2 Tablespoons onion, chopped

1 Small clove garlic, chopped

Salt

Pepper

5 Tablespoons flour

4-1/2 Cups stock (beef, chicken or rehydrated morel juice)

1/2 Cup heavy cream

Chop morels finely. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Melt 1/3 of ther butter in a panand cook the onion and garlic in it until soft and yellow, but not brown. Add morels and cook until juices are absorbed by the mushrooms. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, melt the remaining butter in a large saucepan. Stir in the flour then add hot stock, gradually, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Simmer 20 minutes. Add the mushroom mixture and simmer an additional 10-15 minutes. Correct seasonings. Take off heat and add cream. Serve hot.

--------------------

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
    #2672938 - 05/13/04 09:44 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ROAST TURKEY & MORELS

Yield: 4 servings

1 large turkey breast

1/2 pound fresh morels (sliced lengthwise)

2 tablespoons turkey drippings

2 tablespoons butter

Salt

2 tablespoons flour

1 teaspoon lemon juice

1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley

1 cup heavy cream

Roast turkey breast until golden brown and done. Split into four equal pieces on a platter. Keep warm. In a large frying pan, saut? morels in drippings and butter over high heat for five minutes. Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle with salt and push morels to side of pan. Stir in flour until smooth, then mix together with morels and continue to cook another two minutes. Stir in cream until it thickens. Add lemon juice and parsley. Pour over turkey and serve immediately. Also delicious served over toast.

--------------------

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
    #2672950 - 05/13/04 09:48 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Morel Mushroom Stroganoff

1 lb. beef (sirloin or your favorite cut)
1 finely chopped medium onion
? teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups sour cream (regular or light)
? cup white wine
1 - 1? cups dried morel mushrooms
? teaspoon dried basil
salt

Soak morels in warm water 1? hours prior to cooking time. Cut beef in 3 to 4 inch strips and brown over high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add onions and saute until soft. Drain morels thoroughly - squeeze out excess water.

Add morels, basil and nutmeg. Saute from about 5 minutes. Add white wine and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Add sour cream and salt and stir until smooth.

Simmer over low heat from 15 to 20 minutes. Serve hot over your favourite pasta. Makes enough sauce for 5-6 people.

--------------------

Anonymous

#2673668 - 05/13/04 01:21 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Now we are talkin. Ok I am getting off my ass and getting some morels.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2709770 - 05/21/04 02:05 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm impressed.  :thumbup:
Can't wait to get my hands on some morels :grin:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2712039 - 05/21/04 04:16 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I have no morels. I'm evil.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
    #2713216 - 05/21/04 10:39 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

A favorite of mine is stuffed morels. If you can find specimens large enough, cut bacon into small pieces and mix with ground sausage (I like it spicy). Butter the inside and outside of the morel, then pack with the sausage and bacon mix. Top with cheese (if desired) and cook in the oven at 350F. Cooking time will depend on size of sausage ball...

The dipped in egg whites then battered and fried is also a good method. Then again simply sauteed in butter is good too. Hey, they are good in mushroom soup. Wait a minute, the morel goes good with anything! Make your favorite dish, and add morels!

But you simply cant beat baked fresh walleye and morels.  :thumbup:

--------------------
To give is to live...

Anonymous

Re: Morel season [Re: ATWAR]
    #2717811 - 05/23/04 09:23 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

thats it, im frying up some morels now, ya got me drooling for some

Invisiblesucklesworth
Lick me where Ipee
Re: Morel season [Re: ATWAR]
    #2721897 - 05/24/04 08:54 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

That looks really good - thanks.

I just got back from a 4 day float but only found 15 or so morels - its a bit early yet as its still snowing off and on.

I just sautee'd them in butter and some garlic salt. We ate them with venison and bison backstraps. Very good!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale