Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

Help!! Little guys growing along casing layer!
    #2672622 - 05/13/04 10:00 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have a two casing in their second flush cycle and many of the mushrooms seem to be growing not upward, but almost parallel to the casing layer. They initially started growing upward but now they are getting longer and are growing sideways. The first flush produced similar results. The mushrooms are healthy looking, a little bit on the thin side but I have used this strain before and the results are somewhat similar except for the growing along the casing layer. My only thoughts on the problem is that the light I am using is being reflected off the casing tin and it just happens to hit the mushrooms at the right angle so that it draws them to it. I had to cut a section out of one of the tins due to the nasty green mold infecting it. The substrate is cracked corn cased with a 50/50 mix of peat/verm. Also I had put some coffee grinds in the substrate prior to colonization, could the coffee be causing some sort of defect since I grew this very same stain before and never experienced such a problem. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMESCALATO
hunting.
 User Gallery

Loc: Central Alabama
Re: Help!! Little guys growing along casing layer! [Re: relativexistance]
    #2672634 - 05/13/04 10:03 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

give them a stronger light from above. i doubt the coffee is the prob. where is the closest light to them located?

--------------------

OfflineMeNtALDeMoNZ
#1 Dung SproutConsumer

Loc: InYourFace!!!
Re: Help!! Little guys growing along casing layer! [Re: relativexistance]
    #2672716 - 05/13/04 10:27 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Not to get off topic,,,but what dose coffee in the substrate do???

--------------------
BETCHA CAN'T EAT JUST ONE,,,GET YOUR OWN BAG!!!

Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

Re: Help!! Little guys growing along casing layer! [Re: MeNtALDeMoNZ]
    #2672756 - 05/13/04 10:37 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

The closest light is only about a foot away, its right on top of my fruiting chamber. That actually could be the problem because I had to go out and get a new light since my last flourescent light burned out. It has a plastic covering over it so maybe it is filtering out needed light. I'll try taking off the cover, or using a different light, thanks for the help.

Well i put the coffee in the jars during colonization because I read some people getting very good results from using coffee. Some have praised using coffee saying they get very healthy mushrooms, but this is all subjective data. It could be a number of things causing their results. Many use mainly use liquid however I decided to just add a little bit of grinds in to see what happens. Well the results were mixed, some jars colonized extremely fast and some didn't. Definitely no conclusive results.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation