Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | Next > | Last >
Offlinesmurve
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: bare.whiterabbit]
    #26717127 - 06/03/20 03:50 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

No sense in not opening now.  I did overcook the rye a bit...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblebare.whiterabbit
Lapin Blanc
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Microwave Flag
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: smurve]
    #26717172 - 06/03/20 04:08 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

smurve said:
No sense in not opening now.  I did overcook the rye a bit...

Well, unless it changes to some freaky color or explodes, it would appear you have yourself a very healthy culture of cob my friend. You could try to cut it down with peroxide, but the amount you have there and the fact it's tucked itself right down the side indicates you should probably just take it out, gas it and light a match. Sorry to be the harbinger of shitty news, bro  :sorry:

--------------------

OfflineCaptain Crunk20
Trying to figure things out
Male User Gallery
    #26717513 - 06/03/20 07:05 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

https://files.shroomery.org/files/20-23/123123542-IMG_20200603_193820.jpg

Can this be saved or do I just toss it can I cut the contamination out and fruit half the jar idk if that's a dumb question

--------------------
First time grower.  Starting with the mid west mega kit. Looking for friendly advice and help along the way!

Lapin Blanc

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Captain Crunk20]
    #26717733 - 06/03/20 08:39 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Captain Crunk20 said:
https://files.shroomery.org/files/20-23/123123542-IMG_20200603_193820.jpg

Can this be saved or do I just toss it can I cut the contamination out and fruit half the jar idk if that's a dumb question

No stupid questions, man. Just wishful thinking and shitty answers.

Sad to say, bro. Those are toast.

I am curious though, which of the two white patches developed first the top or the bottom?

--------------------

Offlinepoisoned
untitled

Loc: Yurop
    #26718349 - 06/04/20 04:48 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

smurve said:
First tubs, I'm thinking this is trich?  Can anyone confirm before I bury this in the garden?

Why are there uncolonized grains in your tub?

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

Edited by poisoned (06/04/20 04:48 AM)

Offlinesmurve
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: poisoned]
    #26719099 - 06/04/20 12:33 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Because I added colonized grain jars to sterile, but uncolonized.  Should I do only colonized grain into the tub?

thx

Offlinemarvins
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26719422 - 06/04/20 03:15 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

smurve said:
Because I added colonized grain jars to sterile, but uncolonized.  Should I do only colonized grain into the tub?

thx

Man im not any expert but read some tub teks...

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26009662

I like this thread because of the field capacity images.

Lapin Blanc

#26720679 - 06/05/20 01:50 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

smurve said:

thx

What he's saying is (and I missed this somehow at first glance :lol:), is that you should be mixing your grains into a substrate of some kind, rather than uncolonized grains, in a tub.

You would take your fully colonized grains and mix them with a combination of measured amounts of coir, vermiculite, age dried dung of various types (I like cattle), dry straw, and small amounts of supplements like worm castings, gypsum, used coffee grounds (risky without perfect pasteurization).

There are many ways to prep these ingredients, and some are very easy, but if you're looking to yield something worthwhile, it's best to do a good amount of reading and get familiar with pasteurization methods and rigs.

Unless you're doing a transfer from one grain jar to another, or multiples, in a clean environment, you wouldn't expose grains to open air, because there's nothing to protect it while it's colonizing or regulate moisture content to your cake. You might have gotten away with a casing on top at spawning and no mix, but typically you mix your spawn with 90% of your substrate mixture and put it in and level it out (keeping it fluffy) and then lightly put an even 1/4" or 3/8" layer of the rest of the sub on top and either fruit right away or wait a week or so and fruit, OR like us old school guys you can let it completely colonize and then fruit or case and fruit.

You can search things like the 50/50 tek, or oven pasteurization teks using turkey bags, or when you want to get a little more advanced and more money, but fool-proof, you look into PC fueled pasteurization bins.

My boy Krom built a rig from one of the yellow top husky heavy duty bins, a digital probe BBQ thermometer and some 1/4 ID vinyl hose and then some fridge racks in the bottom to float your construction grade garbage bags. It's the cheapest and most efficient way so far he's had to pasteurize with. Nice thing is you can fill the PC 3/4 full and run it all day, maintaining 170.

:boom:

The idea behind substrate and casings, is that you are pasteurizing it so it remains clean, long enough to be colonized by the grains and it protects the grains from bacteria to an extent, by neutralizing the PH and allowing the mycelium to network, outward from the grains and create a natural shield from other microbes. If the grain is exposed, bacteria can take hold of the open faces of the grain where the mycelium is beat up and the grains you were adding it too and once it's there it takes over very quickly.

Good luck, man. There is a library's worth of information on this site, that can take you far, but be prepared for some heartbreak at the beginning, because it's a bastard a lot of the time, but once you get it, it's well worth the time invested and all the shit :bigblunt::mushroom2:

--------------------

Edited by bare.whiterabbit (06/05/20 01:55 AM)

OfflineTri-Polar
Paramecium Brain

Loc: purgatory Flag
    #26720740 - 06/05/20 02:29 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Day 15 since spawn coir and rye berries, I'm getting all these weird aerial rhyzomorphs I know aren't due to FAE, possibly from too much moisture in the beginning? No distinct bad smells, just not very strong of a mushroom smell. Any help will be greatly appreciated, any info I did not provide please ask. 6qt shoebox

--------------------
Intro to Shroomery:raver2:The Sexy TEKs

IF I HAVE SEEN FURTHER IT IS BY STANDING UPON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS, BITCH.

hey fuck you dont look at me

OfflineStargirl
Stranger
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #26721633 - 06/05/20 11:04 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Hi!

I birthed my cakes about a week ago, dunk n' rolled, then plopped em in my SGFC. Do these look healthy? I'm assuming the white layer that grew over top of the vermiculite is mycelium, fingers crossed. Any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Lapin Blanc

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Stargirl]
    #26721778 - 06/05/20 12:02 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Stargirl said:
Hi!

I birthed my cakes about a week ago, dunk n' rolled, then plopped em in my SGFC. Do these look healthy? I'm assuming the white layer that grew over top of the vermiculite is mycelium, fingers crossed. Any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

Look good to me, just make sure they're getting enough FAE and you should be fine. Nice pinset coming off the bottom there.

--------------------

Lapin Blanc

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Tri-Polar]
    #26721779 - 06/05/20 12:03 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tri-Polar said:
Day 15 since spawn coir and rye berries, I'm getting all these weird aerial rhyzomorphs I know aren't due to FAE, possibly from too much moisture in the beginning? No distinct bad smells, just not very strong of a mushroom smell. Any help will be greatly appreciated, any info I did not provide please ask. 6qt shoebox

I don't see a lot of humidity in there. Are you misting or just attempting to set and forget?

--------------------

OfflineTri-Polar
Paramecium Brain

#26722090 - 06/05/20 02:30 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Initially I was misting once a day or so, but it seemed to be a little wet, no puddles but I realized there was still little dew drops left over when I would normally mist, and I started getting these rhyzos. Fearing bacteria or overwatering I've been being cautious with misting, making sure to only mist when I barely see any dew drops left. Just super worried that this is a lost cause of a tub

--------------------

Lapin Blanc

#26722522 - 06/05/20 06:41 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

No not, necessarily. It can take a while for some to begin pinning, just make sure you keep that nice dew on top of it and fanning a couple times a day and eventually you'll get something happening. It looks happy and I see no signs of contam, you may have benefit from a casing, but i think you'll still be okay :thumbup:

--------------------

Lapin Blanc

#26722528 - 06/05/20 06:43 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Your sub needs 90%+ RH to initiate pinning and only 85% while fruiting, so right now is when you want that high range of RH, without drenching them.

--------------------

OfflineTri-Polar
Paramecium Brain

#26722599 - 06/05/20 07:28 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I have some pinning happening, good to hear I'm glad, any info or even potshot theory on why all the aerial clubs?

--------------------

Lapin Blanc

#26722885 - 06/05/20 10:06 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Tri-Polar said:
I have some pinning happening, good to hear I'm glad, any info or even potshot theory on why all the aerial clubs?

Just healthy myc, rhizomorphic growth is a good sign of a healthy specimen. Just means it wants to be free!

--------------------

OfflineTri-Polar
Paramecium Brain

#26723242 - 06/06/20 01:53 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Damn, I was sure I ruined it, thank you!

--------------------

OfflineJoBloShow
Strangler...
Male User Gallery

Loc: On board Voyager 2
Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: Kizzle]
    #26723449 - 06/06/20 06:33 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Amazing compilation of information!  Great work!

--------------------
Following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been,
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been...

FIND THE BEAUTY IN THE DISSONANCE

Offlinekrasmatav
Wanderer
I'm a teapot

Re: Recognizing and dealing with contamination [Re: JoBloShow]
    #26724255 - 06/06/20 02:16 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I inoculated 4 brown rice flour + vermiculite jars about 43 days ago. They are all white, so I think there's no contam inside. Only one reached full inoculation so far. So I'm a bit worried about how long it's taking.

Now one of the still not fully inoculated jars started pinning, should I already move to fruiting or still wait for full inoculation?

And most importantly, is that a sign of contamination?

Edited by krasmatav (06/06/20 02:17 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | Next > | Last >

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom