Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

anyone know about online food sales?
    #26676345 - 05/17/20 06:42 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I recently got into selling some home baked goods.. and I have a feeling I might be able to make a decent profit selling online.  My state has cottage food laws that prohibit online sales but I think there might still be a way for me to sell online.

I am thinking that if I were to rent a commercial kitchen and make my product there, and maybe purchase a small business license that I would be in the clear to sell online. 

I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePTreeDish
Male

Re: anyone know about online food sales? [Re: NOUS333] * 1
    #26709029 - 05/31/20 12:14 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

I recently got into selling some home baked goods.. and I have a feeling I might be able to make a decent profit selling online

Before you invest any further, I would highly recommend you confirm this feeling because it's an important (most important?) part of the strategy for growing your business. I can give you many ideas about how to test demand and pricing for your product if you haven't done this yet.

Quote:

I am thinking that if I were to rent a commercial kitchen and make my product there, and maybe purchase a small business license that I would be in the clear to sell online.

That's probably 10 steps ahead of where you are now. There are many options to explore that don't involve you personally renting a kitchen or taking on the risk of meeting FDA regs.

Also, are you sure you want to become the producer of the product? You could just package, market and sell the product and let the experts deal with the logistics.

Could you share more about your product and the state and/or city with jurisdiction?

OfflineNOUS333
Stranger Than You
I'm a teapot

Re: anyone know about online food sales? [Re: PTreeDish]
    #26712279 - 06/01/20 07:43 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

PTreeDish said:
Quote:

I recently got into selling some home baked goods.. and I have a feeling I might be able to make a decent profit selling online

Before you invest any further, I would highly recommend you confirm this feeling because it's an important (most important?) part of the strategy for growing your business. I can give you many ideas about how to test demand and pricing for your product if you haven't done this yet.

Quote:

That's probably 10 steps ahead of where you are now. There are many options to explore that don't involve you personally renting a kitchen or taking on the risk of meeting FDA regs.

Also, are you sure you want to become the producer of the product? You could just package, market and sell the product and let the experts deal with the logistics.

Could you share more about your product and the state and/or city with jurisdiction?

I don't really want to put out the details of the product... it's one of those things that just isn't out there and I happened to notice it (I think) before anyone else has decided to put it out there. 

Really, I am just trying to make it a decent side hustle.. and if it becomes bigger, great, if not oh well.

I have been reconsidering the whole renting a kitchen thing... I didn't want to get into selling locally so much because I assume it would be more work than I really want to do and the laws where I am require a home address to be on the product label which is sketchy to me... but I am thinking now that this might not be a very big deal.

So, I might just start trying to sell locally/make my product known locally.

It would be nice to test demand as you say.. I really could be wrong about this product being something that would sell well.  Would hate to invest a bunch of money in it for no reason. I am desperate to create a lucrative side hustle and that desperation might be clouding my judgment. or not. I don't know.

Right now my plan for the near future is to spend a little on some packaging/labels and try to see how people at work/local farmers market respond to it and go from there.  I figure I could get away with packaging/labels and maybe a custom design/logo for a couple hundred.. which wouldn't be too big a deal if it didn't work out.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag