Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineRapperD
Time Traveler
 User Gallery

Loc: CA
Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: mushpunx]
    #26666273 - 05/12/20 10:54 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

mushpunx said:
Quote:

RapperD said:
I dumped my tub, and dunked my cakes. Gonna get peppermint oil and traps tomorrow.

If you don't have house plants and wait 2 weeks to 1 month before spawning anything new, they will go away. They have short lives.

So far so good. I dumped the perlite, washed the tubs, re-dunked the cakes and started a new. I used the peppermint oil spray on the outside of the container as well as all indoor plant containers and the plats on the balcony. Put a trap next to the tub. Fingers crossed.

If this keeps up I might just get a green house tent thing :blush:

--------------------
Growing is for fun, everything else is the trip!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRapjack
Oat Soakin' Toker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Elsewhere
Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: RapperD] * 1
    #26666461 - 05/12/20 12:33 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Fungus gnats are the devil. Have watched many perfectly healthy tubs develop trich or bacterial infections because their dirty little feet. The best way I've found to manage the bastards is by killing off their larva using bacillus thuringeinsis israelensis (BTI) dunks. They're sold to put into ponds and such to kill off mosquito larvae but they also work for any kind of gnats and blackflies.

I put one dunk in 16 ounces of water and let it sit for 24 hours then strain it into a spray bottle and mist every single substrate in your room heavily with it, it should smell somewhat like pee. You don't need to soak it but try to cover the entire surface area in beads like regular misting, 16 ounces treats roughly 4-8 tubs. The fungus gnat larva eat the mycellium which is covered in BTI. It has a protein in it that basically ruptures their digestive system and they die a horrible death. Usually one treatment is enough to make them disappear, at least for a while.

--------------------

OfflineRapperD
Time Traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: Rapjack] * 1
    #26672498 - 05/15/20 11:43 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

This won't harm the fruit or the cakes? I feel like dying insects is asking for contams too.

--------------------

OfflinePinkStormtrooper
Jet-Puffed

Loc: 10001110101 Flag
Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: RapperD]
    #26672558 - 05/15/20 12:21 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

protip: if you see one fly fucking kill it with fire or else

once one is in the tub like the next morning when you open it 50 fly out its fucking silly.

very interesting post good stuff

from the H.D>
Mosquito Dunks biological mosquito control contains Bti, a natural mosquito larvicide, which kills mosquito larvae, but is harmless to birds, fish, wildlife, and pets. Simply place a Dunk in any standing water to control mosquito larvae for up to 30 days. Each Dunk treats up to 100 square feet of surface water regardless of depth. Perfect for Koi Ponds, Hydroponic systems, animal watering troughs, rain barrels, birdbaths, stock tanks, planter saucers, or any other standing water.

--------------------
"say, you got a little astroglide on your moustache"

OfflineOdo
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: PinkStormtrooper]
    #26674816 - 05/16/20 12:44 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I'm glad I saw this post.  I have some of the little buggers in my tub.  I am going to take a break in growing after this tub for a while and hope they go away.  I did notice some mean green on the sub this morning in two spots. I scooped some of the offending sub out and hit it with iso. The tub was started 3/21 so it is about spent anyway but has a dozen or so pins just starting sooooo, Will make an outside planter out of it in a few days.

OfflineRapperD
Time Traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: Rapjack]
    #26705084 - 05/29/20 04:22 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Had to dump the tub. A week later they came back and then they just overwhelmed them. Tried all of the above. Nothing worked. It did make them reduce in numbers but eventually I just couldn't keep up.

Tried:

Peppermint Oil
Traps, Made my one with cider vin.
Bought some little apple looking things that were supposed to help.
Dumped the perlite and redid that portion.

Did good for about a while but when the showed back up this time I just gave up and am moving on to monotek, hopefully the polyfil will keep them buggers out.

--------------------

OfflineFeedYourMind
indiGlo
 User Gallery

Loc: That One Place
Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: RapperD]
    #26705096 - 05/29/20 04:27 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

When I had gnats, I tossed everything and restarted. The best thing I did was double up on my window screens and now not a damn thing gets in. Hell, I leave my tubs open and the suckers can't get in and I live by a bunch of water where they love to breed. Tossing and restarting was the best thing I did and everything bounced back like clockwork for me. Feels. Hope everything gets better! :tripping:

--------------------

OfflineBmShroom
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: Rapjack]
    #26934623 - 09/14/20 07:13 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rapjack said:
Fungus gnats are the devil. Have watched many perfectly healthy tubs develop trich or bacterial infections because their dirty little feet. The best way I've found to manage the bastards is by killing off their larva using bacillus thuringeinsis israelensis (BTI) dunks. They're sold to put into ponds and such to kill off mosquito larvae but they also work for any kind of gnats and blackflies.

I put one dunk in 16 ounces of water and let it sit for 24 hours then strain it into a spray bottle and mist every single substrate in your room heavily with it, it should smell somewhat like pee. You don't need to soak it but try to cover the entire surface area in beads like regular misting, 16 ounces treats roughly 4-8 tubs. The fungus gnat larva eat the mycellium which is covered in BTI. It has a protein in it that basically ruptures their digestive system and they die a horrible death. Usually one treatment is enough to make them disappear, at least for a while.

But it says on the packaging that BTI is essentially a poison. I don't see how I would be spraying that on the pins or even while it has just hyphal knots still... Any thoughts?

OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: BmShroom]
    #26935263 - 09/14/20 01:58 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Yes. Use a few drops of essential peppermint oil in your plant mister and the gnats are gone in a day or two. No need to chuck or anything

OfflineBmShroom
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: Tweeq]
    #26936176 - 09/14/20 11:40 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tweeq said:
Yes. Use a few drops of essential peppermint oil in your plant mister and the gnats are gone in a day or two. No need to chuck or anything

Yes peppermint oil is what I'm going to use. It may add some flavor to the tea later, who knows lol.
But I was questioning the use of "bacillus thuringeinsis israelensis (BTI) dunks".
And I don't mean dunking the sub into solution of that little tablet and water. "Dunk" is just the word company uses for their little tablets that you dunk into still water.
Dude a few posts above me said he would spray the sub with solution of that BTI, which is what I thought was terrible for human consumption.

-edited in favor of properly conveying my thoughts-

Edited by BmShroom (09/15/20 12:49 AM)

OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #26936268 - 09/15/20 01:44 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Idk about BTI.. I would never use ANY chemicals at all..

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #26936362 - 09/15/20 04:41 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

You could eat one of those dunk things no problem is my guess.
I live a mile away from a huge lake. lake michigan. Never had fly problems. Keep your house clean.

On the other hand people think essential oils are safe and not chemicals for whatever reason. Maybe because they're all natural. Though they're far from natural made in labs, they're no different than any other chemicals we extract from plants. Like pyrethrins that come from flowers and are far less safe than the man made counterparts. Although flower derived pyrethrins can be considered organic though they pose a far bigger risk to humans and ecosystems. Essential oils are no different. Harsh chemicals made with no quality standards.

OfflineBmShroom
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26936758 - 09/15/20 10:22 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I live a mile away from a huge lake. lake michigan. Never had fly problems. Keep your house clean.

On the other hand people think essential oils are safe and not chemicals for whatever reason. Maybe because they're all natural. Though they're far from natural made in labs, they're no different than any other chemicals we extract from plants. Like pyrethrins that come from flowers and are far less safe than the man made counterparts. Although flower derived pyrethrins can be considered organic though they pose a far bigger risk to humans and ecosystems. Essential oils are no different. Harsh chemicals made with no quality standards.

Bod, sorry I'm a noob, but your post seems to offer nothing but 'guesses'.
For example - does peppermint oil pose any risk? Well I 'guess'.
Does BTI dunk pose any risk? Well 'I guess not. I guess you could eat one'.
You have a lot of knowledge, which should give people direction, my friend.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
    #26936762 - 09/15/20 10:25 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tweeq said:
Idk about BTI.. I would never use ANY chemicals at all..

Mint oil is a chemical
BTI is a microorganism. Not a chemical

Quote:

BmShroom said:
Quote:

bodhisatta said:

Bod, sorry I'm a noob, but your post seems to offer nothing but 'guesses'.
For example - does peppermint oil pose any risk? Well I 'guess'.
Does BTI dunk pose any risk? Well 'I guess not. I guess you could eat one'.
You have a lot of knowledge, which should give people direction, my friend.

I would just clean my house. And use neither

OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Fruit Flies! Yikes?! [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26938234 - 09/15/20 11:59 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the info Bod. I for one had no idea these oils are not natural.

Our house is always clean af btw. We do have over 100 houseplants tho. With no countermeasures, we have gnats. We live in what used to be a swamp so..

Maybe you don't have flies/gnats where you are at but to state if there's gnats you need to clean more simply doesn't hold up for everyone, everywhere.

All I know is our gnat problems are over and all it took was a few drops of peppermint oil.

OfflineBmShroom
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26941604 - 09/18/20 01:03 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tweeq said:

Our house is always clean af btw. We do have over 100 houseplants tho. With no countermeasures, we have gnats. We live in what used to be a swamp so..

Maybe you don't have flies/gnats where you are at but to state if there's gnats you need to clean more simply doesn't hold up for everyone, everywhere.

All I know is our gnat problems are over and all it took was a few drops of peppermint oil.

I used 6 drops of pure peppermint oil in a spray bottle. It smells like peppermint when I spray the sub - but gnats seem to only get briefly bothered by it. They're all still there. It's been like half a day since I first sprayed.

Offlinelookintolearn
Stranger becoming Strangest
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Up in the Cut
    #26941611 - 09/18/20 01:21 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't particularly spray my sub directly with it, but, I bought some neem oil concentrate and mixed a few ml with water, lemon oil, and rosemary oil. I used that spray outside the grow room and it has been doing a good job at keeping flies/beetles/cockroaches/ect away if I spray like twice a month.

While the oils aren't natural for say they do have effectiveness for keeping them buggies away.

Like Bod said though, clean your house then take preventive measures but if they are already in the grow room there's not much you can do besides clean and try again. I wouldn't spray any chemicals inside the room much less directly on the sub.

--------------------
Don't be afraid of feeling the feelings

Lookin to LAGM 2021

Looking to start growing? Read through Bod's Introduction to Everything
Looking to start agar? Start with Alien's Holy Grail
Looking to perfect your transfers? Start with D3monic's Perfect Transfers
Looking for easiest prep to Coir ever? Eat's UNBUCKET Tek
Looking to start LC? Try LI first! Munch's super easy Blenderless LI

OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #26941655 - 09/18/20 03:04 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BmShroom said:
Quote:

Tweeq said:

I used 6 drops of pure peppermint oil in a spray bottle. It smells like peppermint when I spray the sub - but gnats seem to only get briefly bothered by it. They're all still there. It's been like half a day since I first sprayed.

Tomorrow most will be gone

OfflineBmShroom
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26942423 - 09/18/20 01:16 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Tweeq said:

Yea they seemed a bit more out of it today. I have to dunk this sub for the second flush though lol. Can't quite confirm effectiveness at this time.
And that's something I noticed - not a lot of people report back in their threads if something helped or not. They just seem to forget there was ever a thread they started. I've been guilty of that too in the past.

OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #26942480 - 09/18/20 01:39 PM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

BmShroom said:
Quote:

Tweeq said:

Yea they seemed a bit more out of it today. I have to dunk this sub for the second flush though lol. Can't quite confirm effectiveness at this time.
And that's something I noticed - not a lot of people report back in their threads if something helped or not. They just seem to forget there was ever a thread they started. I've been guilty of that too in the past.

I know this helps for sure. After dunk you need to respray of course bc most will be flushed out / disseminated (is this a word?) too much.

For real, in a few days most your gnats are gone if you maintain this.

I'm not bullshitting you. We had some really nasty gnat infestations and this was the solution.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale