Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Death by sanctions.
    #2669405 - 05/12/04 04:04 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

There has been alot of debate about the impact that the UN sanctions on Iraq had on the civilian population. UNICEF at one point estimated that the death rate of children under 5 had doubled largely due to the sanctions.

How many people did the sanctions kill?

Please feel free to provide numbers or attempt to debunk them.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Death by sanctions. [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #2669414 - 05/12/04 04:05 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

None. Saddam killed them by his actions.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: Death by sanctions. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2669428 - 05/12/04 04:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

This reply is totally off the point. Saddam may have initiated hostilities in Kuait and been a generally disagreable bastard, but it was the US and other world powers that decided to put sanctions on Iraq.

It is a valid to ask how many people died as a result of those sanctions. Whether you blame Saddam or the US, there were consequences to the sanctions.

That said, I have no clue.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Death by sanctions. [Re: phi1618]
    #2669435 - 05/12/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

As there would have been no sanctions minus Saddams actions, it is straight to the point.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2669441 - 05/12/04 04:10 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

He didn't ask who was responsible for the sanctions.
He asked how many people died as a result of them.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2669456 - 05/12/04 04:13 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I remember someone citing something to the effect
of iraq going from an average infant mortality rate
to having one of the single worst in the world.

I'll see if I can find it...

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #2669463 - 05/12/04 04:15 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Saddam deflected the blow of the sanctions back at the civilian population who suffered instead of himself. If anything they weakened the population so much as to destroy any chances they had of overthrowing him.

--------------------

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: Death by sanctions. [Re: afoaf]
    #2669465 - 05/12/04 04:15 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Death by sanctions. [Re: phi1618]
    #2669509 - 05/12/04 04:23 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

phi1618 said:
He didn't ask who was responsible for the sanctions.
He asked how many people died as a result of them.

You got me there.

--------------------

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
    #2669542 - 05/12/04 04:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
There has been alot of debate about the impact that the UN sanctions on Iraq had on the civilian population. UNICEF at one point estimated that the death rate of children under 5 had doubled largely due to the sanctions.

How many people did the sanctions kill?

Please feel free to provide numbers or attempt to debunk them.

How much money did Saddam have in cash as his people starved?

Was Iraq, pre liberation, a third world shitpit, or was it a 'civilized" nation with a "large middle class" as some in here parrot?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Death by sanctions. [Re: germin8tionn8ion]
    #2669558 - 05/12/04 04:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Do you mean pre-gulf war?

--------------------

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
    #2669786 - 05/12/04 05:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Do you mean pre-gulf war?

No, I'm refering to the palaces filled with cash the our soldiers found as we liberated Iraq. I'm sure that saddam was saving it to throw his country a big party, right?

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Death by sanctions. [Re: germin8tionn8ion]
    #2670017 - 05/12/04 06:00 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Right, the sanctions didn't hurt Saddam much, in fact in some ways they helped him by weakening the civilian population making them easier oppress.

--------------------

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
    #2670027 - 05/12/04 06:02 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hey, haven't sanctions toppled Castro and benefited those who were oppressed under his regime?

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#2670029 - 05/12/04 06:03 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:
Right, the sanctions didn't hurt Saddam much, in fact in some ways they helped him by weakening the civilian population making them easier oppress.

Right. And he was having ever so much trouble oppressing them before the sanctions.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2670253 - 05/12/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"And he was having ever so much trouble oppressing them before the sanctions. "

I think the idea that either with or withour sactions...the only people being hurt was the children, the elderly and the sick. either way saddam didn't hurt, so was that really a good move?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Jump to top Pages: 1