Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offline5stringsteve
Stranger
Pre-treating logs to fortify them?
    #26690146 - 05/23/20 11:04 AM (7 days, 1 hour ago)

Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but have dabbled in mushroom cultivation for about 10 years. Sourcing the right wood at the right time has always been a challenge. The most convenient time to inoculate logs, along with other garden chores for me is in the Spring. And the weather often brings a strong wind storm this time of year--as it did just last weekend--bringing down healthy branches and whole trees. So I just procured oak, maple, and willow this past week. I plan to grow Shiitake, Oyster, Lion's Mane, and Chicken-of-the-woods (as well as Garden Giant, Nameko, and other Oysters in beds on woodchips and/or straw).
The problem I foresee is that this latest batch of fresh wood has come down as the tree is in it's leafing out stage, which is purported to be the absolute worst time to harvest logs for cultivation. (FieldForset.net has a chart indicating this, and they specifically state to avoid harvest during the leaf-out stage) I believe this is mostly due to a depletion of sugars and other nutrients in the inner bark area.
There is probably more to it, but I've often wondered if the logs could be soaked in a solution that could re-introduce these missing nutrients. I actually did manage to make use of some left-over maple sap years ago when inoculating oak logs with shiitake plugs, and they produced fine, but I have no idea if it made any difference.
So while I have a couple of weeks to wait before inoculating, I wonder about concocting some solution of sugars, minerals, and perhaps a tiny bit of chlorine bleach to soak the logs in. I figure this could fortify the logs with nutrients that would benefit the mycelium, while the chlorine might inhibit molds and other bad stuff, yet dissipate/evaporate by the time I would inoculate.
So has anyone tried this, and if so, does it work at all, or is this just another one of my ill-conceived notions?
Thank you for any ideas or input.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineDigitalRhizae
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Pre-treating logs to fortify them? [Re: 5stringsteve]
    #26690298 - 05/23/20 12:27 PM (7 days, 30 minutes ago)

I've never done log culture but I think its asking for contamination without a proper means of pasteurizing. Why not chip the wood and make artificial logs? If you want to go the bleach route it was suggested many years ago that a 200:1 ratio of water to bleach is effective at killing molds but doesn't harm established mycelium. I think there is some post RogerRabbitmade about using bleach for pasteurizing. Ive done bleach dunks for 30 minutes before and it at best slowed down the trichoderma i was trying to control.

Offline5stringsteve
Stranger
Re: Pre-treating logs to fortify them? [Re: DigitalRhizae]
    #26696945 - 05/26/20 12:23 PM (4 days, 34 minutes ago)

Pasteurizing is not ever done on logs that I've heard of, and I'm certain it's not needed in my case. I only mention bleach as as a sort of short-term preservative to keep whatever nutrients that I would be re-introducing, from spoiling from molds or other unwanted microbes.
I'm just trying to re-introduce those nutrients that would have been present had I harvested the logs at the ideal time period of Winter dormancy. Having tapped maple trees for sap and syrup production, I believe some sort of simple and very dilute solution that includes some kind of sugar and some trace minerals would be all that is needed. I've heard that yields can be considerably lower with wood harvested during leaf out, so to soak in some kind of simple solution before inoculating seems like a relatively easy fix in theory. In practice, though, there is likely to be a down side, so I'd rather see if and how this could/should be done before going out on that limb. I may just go ahead with a trial run and report my results if others are interested.

OfflineDigitalRhizae
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Pre-treating logs to fortify them? [Re: 5stringsteve]
    #26698024 - 05/26/20 09:10 PM (3 days, 15 hours ago)

I think pasteurization isn't required with logs because they are relatively sealed from the bark, except for the cut ends. But what I was getting at is that by artificially introducing sugars into the logs it is more likely to also introduce bacteria and other fungus from the sugar solution.

I would think that if you were to do this some sort of pasteurization would be required, be it heat or chemical.

If I recall correctly sap from a birch tree is a 400:1 sugar to water content and sugar maples are 200:1, as a reference.

Offline5stringsteve
Stranger
Re: Pre-treating logs to fortify them? [Re: DigitalRhizae]
    #26706830 - 05/30/20 09:59 AM (2 hours, 58 minutes ago)

Good point to pasturize the solution.
I can easily boil up some sugar-water.
I was hoping to get some input on any minerals or nutrients that might replenish whatever might be missing since the tree leafed out, or just whatever might help give the mycelium a better environment to grow in.
I'll do some searching...
Cheers

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms