Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinealchimia-rubedo
Lady of the Void

Newbie Seeking Substrate/Chamber Advice
    #26686861 - 05/22/20 01:10 AM (7 days, 23 hours ago)

Disclaimer – I am an experienced psychonaut but a complete newbie to growing, I am prepping for my literal first grow. I’m open to any/all intelligent and friendly advice. I’m leaning towards attempting the agar method described by Pastywhyte (https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976), oat grain jars as described by BOD, unless people here persuade me some type of cakes (BRF??) would be superior (https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=24126032&page=0&vc=1#24126032), and elasticaltiger’s “tiger drop” method for inoculating the grain jars with the agar (https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20111637#20111637). I have not decided between a monotub or SGFC yet, but I’m leaning towards a SGFC. I’m looking for advice on what sort of substrate to use, it seems like grain jars are popular but most of the posts I’m seeing on substrate / fruiting chambers assume that we are using things like BRF cakes instead of grain jars. I’ve already purchased some vermiculite and perlite, I’d love if people could elaborate on their setups or link me to things they’ve found helpful. Thank you in advance!

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleSmartattackS
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Re: Newbie Seeking Substrate/Chamber Advice [Re: alchimia-rubedo]
    #26686927 - 05/22/20 02:01 AM (7 days, 22 hours ago)

Spore print to agar. Once clean culture on agar, drop agar to grain of choice (this is a debate among everyone, experiment), mix clean spawn with straight coir into an unmodified tub or shoebox....shrooms.

This is not only doable for a beginner, but it can also be the last way you bother to ever do it until something revolutionary comes along.

Looks like you have already done some reading. I can't suggest enough to continue. Just stop when your eyes are bleeding and then repeat. Its all here already.

Offlinealchimia-rubedo
Lady of the Void

Re: Newbie Seeking Substrate/Chamber Advice [Re: Smartattack]
    #26687567 - 05/22/20 10:16 AM (7 days, 14 hours ago)

Thank you for the advice! You mean unmodified as in no holes or anything? Do you still use a lid and periodically open to most/exchange air? I did read a bit about coir, I saw some people say it’s not for beginners but maybe I’ll give it a shot anyway.

--------------------

OfflineTrippyMomp
Male

Re: Newbie Seeking Substrate/Chamber Advice [Re: alchimia-rubedo]
    #26688925 - 05/22/20 09:01 PM (7 days, 3 hours ago)

I'm a noob aswell. I'm doing my first brf cakes. From everything I've read it's easier to mess up grain/oat spawns if you're newer as opposed to brf cakes. I'm a newbie so could be wrong but. Unless your very patient the agar will take a little while to isolate clean stuff. So if you want faster shrooms I think brf. Also again from what I read theres two main forms of chambers. Sgfc is for cakes I think while the others involving larger amounts of substrate usually unless you shred your brf cakes which I've been advised not to due to spore to brf inoculation which could be huffing contams. I have agar and brf right now just definently had way to many syringes and dont have the patience to wait for my agar to be done so. Maybe do what I'm doing meets with agar plates and isolating a clean myc while also knocking up a few brf jars. Seems like a game of odds with brf. 2 of my 5 PTs colonized all 10 of my GTs colonized so far not sure if they're all gona make it tho. Just dont put all your eggs in the same basket my friend. Good luck on your research. I might spawn half my cakes in sgfc and shred the other half.

OfflineSpaghettio73
Fireplug
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Newbie Seeking Substrate/Chamber Advice [Re: TrippyMomp]
    #26689207 - 05/22/20 11:24 PM (7 days, 1 hour ago)

Don’t be afraid of grains. I’m new as well but I have 24 jars of oats coming along as expected with Red Spore cloned mycelium. All while my Golden Teacher shoe boxes are just pinning.

I followed Bod’s tek but  heeded his suggestion to dry out the oats. So I lay them out on a towel to cool for a few hours after the boil. Just be sure to PC at 15lbs for 2 hours and let the PC blow out steam from the vent pipe for ten min before putting the pressure regulator on. From there I’ve inoculated in a SAB from agar pitri and via self-healing ports with LC.

Try it all just read and I mean read it all. Then follow the tek to the letter.

Learn to work with agar first. Seeing the first growth of mycelium on agar from spores is exiting. Saving them from the few contaminated plates is also fun. Second or third time working in the SAB when you have zero conta you’ll feel like a pro.

Bodhistta and Patsy’s threads are where I’ve spent most my time.

Fear nothing!

OfflineInfraredRick
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Midwest, USA
Re: Newbie Seeking Substrate/Chamber Advice [Re: Spaghettio73]
    #26689325 - 05/23/20 12:36 AM (7 days, 4 minutes ago)

Ditto on not being scared of grains. Agar is certainly the best way but it's EASY to inoculate quart jars of oats using a MS syringe and an inoculation port.  I just have a clean environment, no drafts, clean body/clothes/mask/cap and gloves. Nothing is really sterile. Don't use a SAB (but I do for G2G). Flame the needle between shots, wipe everything especially the ports with alcohol, etc. Always works for me.

Noc 9 jars with a syringe. Use the fastest one to G2G 9 more jars, use the other 8 to do a 1:1 mono with CVG. 16 jars of spawn + CVG will fill a 66qt Sterlite tub to exactly 3". 3" will provide the moisture necessary to achieve first flush, no fanning, no misting. (6 holes, poly, dial it like a boss (Frank h)).  Ok, so there's 2 tubs, one following the other by about 3 weeks, which will provide maybe 10z dry first flushes, maybe more. Any further flushes are just gravy. All from one syringe. Easy peasy.

Bod and Patsy are great, check Frank H, too, tho, that fucker gets shit done.

--------------------
Inspiration move me brightly.[gradient:#C7C7D4,#CFD4C7]y[/gradient]

Edited by InfraredRick (05/23/20 12:59 AM)

Offlinealchimia-rubedo
Lady of the Void

Re: Newbie Seeking Substrate/Chamber Advice [Re: InfraredRick]
    #26701231 - 05/28/20 10:29 AM (1 day, 14 hours ago)

I've decided to go with agar > grain jars > sterlite monotub. I do have a pressure cooker. I'll check out Frank H. - hadn't come across any of his stuff yet. Thank you guys for the advice!

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Hot Plate, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started