Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Injection Ports, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhil good
Stranger
Just starting
    #26688368 - 05/22/20 04:58 PM (9 days, 9 hours ago)

Ok I have been reading everything I could find.  I have ordered most of my supplies, should get started if my spores ever arrive. In the midsts of reading I have actually decided on a different approach. I have a spore  syringe  on the way, originally I was going to inoculate BRF jars directly with the syringe. However I decided to start in malt extract agar in Petri dishes. I am a little unclear how many dishes to spread the syringe into, and how many dishes I need to inoculate my 12. Half pint jars. Do you put the whole agar disk into the jar?

Next time I will probably pick a different medium, but I have everything for BRF jars, so I’ll use it this time.

Jack

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline2Ape2
Master of Learning from Error

Loc: Geo-diverse
Re: Just starting [Re: Phil good]
    #26688657 - 05/22/20 06:43 PM (9 days, 7 hours ago)

I just started as well and went to agar.  The amount you will want to put to each agar kinda depends on the spore load of the syringe.  Shake it well right before you go but you'll want to put just a drop or two, in my inexperienced opinion.  I just put spores to agar for the first time yesterday and on the first one I overestimated how much force it was going to take to push out the liquid.  I ended up putting about 4x to much.  I did a smear after that and it was kind of fruitless  - there was so much liquid from the syringe it ran all over the plate.  The upside is I certainly got coverage.  The downside, it will be even harder to isolate a good spot if the entire surface grows out.  The other plate I just put one drop. 

Based on everything I read you're coming at it a better way than syringe right to the BRF cake.  It would work but you increase the risk of contam.  How big of plates are you using.  If you have 12 half pint jars, which aren't that big, you will need 2-3 dime size pieces of healthy mycelium per jar, as my best estimate.  I've not done this part of the process yet.  I've seen folks use the little reusable food containers that are about 1.5-2" on the bottom as plates.  Then I've seen them use 1/2 to a full one of those, well colonized, agars to inoculate quart jars of grain.  The healthier the mycelium the less you'd need to use, to a point.

Good luck.  I've got two plates to start but expect to have to transfer out to more agar to improve the mycelium before I finally arrive at being ready to spawn to grain.

--------------------
If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.
Sir Charles Darwin

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
 User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Just starting [Re: 2Ape2]
    #26688687 - 05/22/20 06:57 PM (9 days, 7 hours ago)

If you have questions and are just getting into it, I'd say PFtek watch RR's video follow it. Then move into agar and grain. Make a shotgun FC and run with it. Just make it happen then get fancy. And the result will inspire you, instead of possible contamination and frustration.

Jus meeeee

GL

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

Offlinesmily
lookin 4 my ass wit both handz
 User Gallery

Loc: Lee HO FooKs
Re: Just starting [Re: smily]
    #26688690 - 05/22/20 07:00 PM (9 days, 7 hours ago)

Plates are fun

--------------------

CrAnKy PiLlOwS YeAh PiLlOwS

OfflineInfraredRick
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Midwest, USA
Re: Just starting [Re: smily]
    #26689120 - 05/22/20 10:54 PM (9 days, 3 hours ago)

A petri dish doesn't need more than a very tiny drop from a MS syringe. That drop will hold thousands of spores. PF tek requires a syringe to dose the brf below the top layer of verm. That's the brilliance of the PF deal; inoculate the sterile medium under a layer that provides fae but prevents contamination. Gotta use a needle for that. So, maybe dose a bunch of dishes then inoculate some jars. You have all your eggs in one basket using a single syringe, tho. Better to start with a couple syringes and a bunch of dishes and even more jars. Spread out the risk of failure. It's time you'll mostly lose If things don't work. Lots of time.

--------------------
Inspiration move me brightly.[gradient:#C7C7D4,#CFD4C7]y[/gradient]

OfflineSpaghettio73
Fireplug
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#26689243 - 05/22/20 11:39 PM (9 days, 2 hours ago)

Congrats on deciding to learn agar first.

One thing about spore syringes is lack of control using only one hand. Since one hand hold the pitri or mini-round lid you have to delicately dispense a drop from thief rather large syringe. I discovered if I grasp the tube between my index and thumb with the end of the plunger against my palm I had more control. Pulling the tube toward my palm was much easier than trying to gently use my thumb on the plunger. Also I found no difference in germination without scratching the spores into the agar.

Flame the needle, cool it with iso one paper towel and squirt a bit into a paper towel between each pitri inoc. I skipped a few my first time and had contams which were left behind with transfers.

OfflineShifty_priorities
Dancing through obstacles
 User Gallery

Loc: The Big Magic Island
Re: Just starting [Re: Spaghettio73]
    #26689303 - 05/23/20 12:14 AM (9 days, 2 hours ago)

I would say do a run of 12 250ml brf jars using the PF Tek and fruiting in a SGFC. Save the last drop or 2 (literally) and put it on several agar dishes.

It will definitely take a few tries to get the pressure right on the syringe so if you only have one be extra careful.

--------------------

OfflinePCaddict
Stranger

Re: Just starting [Re: Shifty_priorities]
    #26690617 - 05/23/20 05:02 PM (8 days, 9 hours ago)

Can I chime in I am New too and Looking for any and all the help I can get I started a journal but no one is responding. I really need someone to mentor me HELP !!!

InvisiblefahtsterM
Now With 33%More Faht
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Just starting [Re: PCaddict]
    #26690772 - 05/23/20 06:28 PM (8 days, 7 hours ago)

Hey pcaddict.. I’ve seen a couple of these posts.. ya gotta give it some time.. someone willing to take you under their wing might not be on the boards today.. if I’ve seen a couple of your posts, that person will probably see them too.  Take a break and do some more research and I’m sure you’ll get the help ya need.  It’ll be a nice preview and practice for the first thing you need to learn to succeed in this hobby, patience.  :wink:

Faht

OfflineThrillS
Regnarts
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Beyond the Grey Sky Flag
Re: Just starting [Re: fahtster]
    #26690932 - 05/23/20 08:16 PM (8 days, 6 hours ago)

Are you planning to use agar to inoculate some BRF cakes? If so, youd have to deviate from the PF tek. Youd need to make filter lids with injection ports, since youd have to forgo the dry verm layer. Idk if Id even bother doing it that way tbh, unless youre getting the syringe from a shitty source.

I would just stick to doin the PF Tek or similar for doin cakes, inoculate them with the syringe, and just save a few drops for later to put onto agar when you wanna play with agar or when you wanna do some grain jars. I always save a few drops of spore solution from every syringe I use, just to keep a little something to restart from if something goes wrong.

OfflinePhil good
Stranger
Re: Just starting [Re: Thrill]
    #26691571 - 05/24/20 03:40 AM (7 days, 22 hours ago)

That was the plan to use agar to inoculate BRF jars. Looks like I got screwed on my spores, so I had to re-order. So I am in a holding pattern until I get spores. I may have time to impliment grain jars. I will have to read up on it.

OfflinePoolofsouls
Stranger
 User Gallery

#26691953 - 05/24/20 09:01 AM (7 days, 17 hours ago)

Same pc addict I think some people's egos are about as high as there mushrooms.

InvisibleSunny Skies
Cluster Head
 User Gallery

Loc: top of the triangle
Re: Just starting [Re: Poolofsouls]
    #26692542 - 05/24/20 02:11 PM (7 days, 12 hours ago)

You guys need to use the search button..its a fantastic tool.Go on some of the TCs Tek pages also..there is so much info available.

--------------------
I stink therefore I am.

OfflineThrillS
Regnarts
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Beyond the Grey Sky Flag
    #26692565 - 05/24/20 02:27 PM (7 days, 11 hours ago)

Quote:

Phil good said:
That was the plan to use agar to inoculate BRF jars. Looks like I got screwed on my spores, so I had to re-order. So I am in a holding pattern until I get spores. I may have time to impliment grain jars. I will have to read up on it.

Personally I wouldnt use agar to inoculate BRF cakes. You should buy spore syringes from a good vendor, the couple vendors that sponsor here are good. But if you have to start on agar, and have to do BRF cakes, I would make an LC and use that to inoculate the cakes. But if you get your spores from a good place theres no reason you cant just use the syringe right to the regular PF cake.

OfflineInfraredRick
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Midwest, USA
Re: Just starting [Re: Poolofsouls]
    #26692985 - 05/24/20 05:59 PM (7 days, 8 hours ago)

Quote:

Poolofsouls said:
Same pc addict I think some people's egos are about as high as there mushrooms.

Chill out, man. If someone doesn't eventually get help it's prol because the question was stupid or posed dickish. I've never been treated badly by anyone. But then I do my research first and I try to be nice. And give back, as I can.

--------------------
Inspiration move me brightly.[gradient:#C7C7D4,#CFD4C7]y[/gradient]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Injection Ports, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started