Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSKinamoto17
Stranger
 User Gallery
Contamination on Caps in SGFC
    #26688348 - 05/22/20 02:49 PM (7 days, 15 hours ago)

Hey everyone! It's my first time growing and I've certainly made a few mistakes along the way - but I've also learned a lot. I am using BRF cakes and a SGFC for my first grow. Of the 10 jars, 7 colonized successfully and seemingly without contamination. The other 3 did nothing at all... don't think I really shook the spore syringe much as it was full to the brim. Anyway, when I transferred them to the SGFC I didn't have a spray bottle to mist them. For a couple of days I was flicking water into the tub using a nylon bristle brush meant for rubbing sauces on meats. Don't worry - its sterile and I actually have never cooked with it. My cakes definitely dried out a bit as a result, and I got a spray bottle for misting now.

They've been in the tub for about a week, with proper care only in the last 2-3 days. A few pins sprouted early and the caps became very large. With proper moisture and airflow, many more pins are beginning to sprout. Unfortunately the large caps have developed a green/gray tinge on them which looks to be a mold.

For those wondering, the small mushroom in this picture is most likely dead. It started growing inside the jar before the cake was birthed. For the two larger caps (and for similar mushrooms), is this a mold? Can I cut off these caps and monitor conditions in the SGFC hoping that there are other uncontaminated mushrooms? I don't see any green on the BRF cake, this is just on the caps of those early mushrooms. Thanks for the advice, and apologies I'm a big noob!

P.S. I tried to touch one of these caps with a Q-tip and found that nothing rubbed off, fwiw. There is no off odor in the SGFC either. I recently flipped the cakes over due to an error I made during inoculation that prevented mushrooms from growing out of the cake... (topped the jars off with perlite instead of verm on accident). Other thing I want to note is that due to COVID I had a hard time finding a spray bottle and settled for a mild all purpose cleaner bottle. I poured out the cleaner and washed thoroughly with soap and water.. but there's an ever so slight scent of cleaner when I mist with this bottle. I'm going to clean it again, but is it a problem to leave water in the same squirt bottle for days?

Edited by SKinamoto17 (05/22/20 04:15 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline2Ape2
Master of Learning from Error

Loc: Geo-diverse
Re: Contamination on Caps in SGFC [Re: SKinamoto17]
    #26688781 - 05/22/20 05:59 PM (7 days, 12 hours ago)

It looks a dry but otherwise fine.  Perhaps give them a dunk for a few hour and put back into the SGFC.

What was the mild cleaner?  Mild but did it have any short of antifungal properties?

--------------------
If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.
Sir Charles Darwin

OfflineSKinamoto17
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Contamination on Caps in SGFC [Re: 2Ape2]
    #26689037 - 05/22/20 08:07 PM (7 days, 10 hours ago)

Thanks for the response. Here’s the ingredients that were in the bottle before I cleaned it with dish soap and water thoroughly.

Offline2Ape2
Master of Learning from Error

Loc: Geo-diverse
    #26689118 - 05/22/20 08:53 PM (7 days, 9 hours ago)

Sodium hydroxide is lye which will kill fungus.  What I don’t know is what concentration it would take to kill back or inhibit your mycelium .

--------------------
If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.
Sir Charles Darwin

OfflineSKinamoto17
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Contamination on Caps in SGFC [Re: 2Ape2]
    #26689153 - 05/22/20 09:07 PM (7 days, 9 hours ago)

I will clean this bottle again using soap and water. I can also rinse it with vinegar or isopropyl alcohol. It was the cheapest cleaner I could buy so let’s hope the concentration was not too strong. Is it okay to dunk these cakes for a while even though mushrooms have started growing? And. Should I cover them with a little more verm after?

InvisibleApples in Mono
Diamonds on My Fishsticks

#26689354 - 05/22/20 10:53 PM (7 days, 7 hours ago)

Oh, man. Misting cakes with lye. I can't help but lol.

But yeah, it might be only negligible traces at this point

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started