Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineMoses_Davidson
Non-Prophet
Male User Gallery

Some interesting facts about Christianity that you might not have known
    #26687529 - 05/22/20 07:44 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Jesus' first miracle was to make and distribute drugs (wine) at a party for recreational use.

Jesus hung out in bars with prostitutes & thieves. The only times he is mentioned teaching formal religious buildings, he either got thrown out or dumped over their tables making a scene.

Jesus denounced the religious leaders of his day, calling them all hypocrites, and telling them that they didn't even know God. He called them "blind leading the blind." He pretty much ticked them all off to the point that they hated his guts. If Jesus were walking the earth today instead of 2000 years ago, he would probably do the same, and the leaders of organized Christianity would probably hate him today too.

Much of the New Testament was written by the apostle Paul while he was in jail. In Philippians he thanked his readers (the believers in Philippi) for sending him commissary money. (Maybe if he were in jail today he would have thanked them for his thermal, phone card, and Ramen noodles?) It was then he wrote, "All things work together for the good of those who love God."

Many religious books talk about the origins of the universe. According to Hinduism, and many other faiths, it is eternal, and never had a beginning (which was also the popular scientific view until Edwin Hubble). Other religions have creation stories involving two lovers procreating, or a giant turtle, etc.  The Bible states that time-space & matter had a beginning, and that first light was created, then matter, then simple aquatic life, then plants, then land animals, then larger animals, and with man arriving on the scene last of all, followed by the development of language, then agriculture, then cities & metalworking. The Hebrew word for "day", in the six days of creation, is EOM. From this we get the Greek word EON, from which we get the English word eon. The most literal interpretation of the book of Genesis is the six eons of creation.

According to the commentary by ancient Jewish sage Josephus, Genesis 1:1 is the thesis of the creation story and means (my paraphrase), "In the beginning, God is the one who created the universe and matter. Way before the earth had been shaped, God's spirit was there, nurturing all over the chaos." So, evolution was not just chaos... God was all over that. And Genesis 1:1 is God's artistic signature on his painting, saying, "see that, that was my work."

Christianity was intended to be a part of Judaism.

There are many holidays that the Bible instructs people to celebrate, and Christmas was not one of them... and early Christians (Jews) did not celebrate birthdays.

Jesus is the one mentioned as going into town to celebrate the festival of dedication of the temple. That's Hannukah. (Hebrew word for "dedication" is "hannukah")

Many of the laws of Moses have to do with germ control & sanitation. (Going outside the camp to dig a hole, take a dump, and bury it; washing your hands before you eat; don't touch dead animals; washing after touching bodily fluids; sexual social distancing [don't go around having sex with everyone] on and on and on.) Nobody understood the practical importance of any of this.

Christian baptism was one of these washing rituals. It is symbolic not only of death, burial, and resurrection, but being dipped in water was also just part of having a bath.

--------------------
"In finance, everything that is agreeable is unsound and everything that is sound is disagreeable." --Sir Winston Churchill

"The world may not only be stranger than we suppose, it may be stranger than we can suppose."
J.B.S. Haldane

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't."
Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Some interesting facts about Christianity that you might not have known [Re: Moses_Davidson]
    #26687680 - 05/22/20 09:09 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

my 95 year old Auntie Jennie keeps sending me jokes from her jewish culture blogs.

this one may be relevant to your schtick:

Quote:

One morning Moishe returns to the cabin after several hours of fishing and decides to take a nap.

Although not familiar with the lake, Shirley decides to take the boat out, since it is such a beautiful day.

She motors out a short distance, anchors, and reads her  book.

Along comes a Game Warden in his boat.

He pulls up alongside the woman and says, " Good  morning, Ma'am, what are you doing?"

"Reading a book," she replies , (thinking, "Isn't that obvious?")

"You're in a Restricted Fishing Area,” he informs her.  "I'm sorry, officer, but I'm not fishing, I'm reading."

"Yes, but you have all the equipment.  I'll have to write you up a ticket. "

"For reading a book," she replies.

"You're in a Restricted Fishing Area ,” he informs her again ."

"But officer, I'm not fishing, I'm reading."

" Yes, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment.  I'll have to write you up a ticket and you'll have to pay a fine."

"If you do that, I'll have to charge you with sexual assault," says the woman."

"But I haven't even touched you," says the Game Warden .

"That's true, but you have all the equipment.  For all I know you could start at any moment."

"Have a nice day ma'am," and he immediately departed

MORAL:

Never argue with a Jewish wife who reads. It's likely she can also think.

we all have some religious equipment kicking around in the boat, but you know, this is not a religion oriented subforum, so if there is a philosophy or psychology oriented point to the topic, I would appreciate your explanation of it.

is it about Christianity-fatigue-complex or Christianity-origin-denial-complex?

if it's just drunk talk or dope talk that's ok too.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Some interesting facts about Christianity that you might not have known [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26687910 - 05/22/20 11:16 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
this is not a religion oriented subforum,

Quote:

redgreenvines said:

Quote:

redgreenvines said:

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Some interesting facts about Christianity that you might not have known [Re: Moses_Davidson]
    #26687938 - 05/22/20 11:28 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

If you can demonstrate what philosophical relevance this post has, perhaps we can continue. Otherwise, I'll be forced to move it.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

OfflineMoses_Davidson
Non-Prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Some interesting facts about Christianity that you might not have known [Re: redgreenvines]
    #26687969 - 05/22/20 11:38 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Fair enough.

It might be my British family background, where direct communication is often avoided in favor of the more sublime. But here is a brief synopsis.

Disguised in a genre that one might call, "triva fun facts," the post is intended to be both light hearted and fun, and at the same time disruptive of dogmatic thought.

We all have thoughts that we hold as beliefs... but why? Are they grounded in empirical reason?

I'm reminded of a song by Harry Nilsson:

The other day a friend of mine said,
He said the sun's not really yellow,
He said he said the sun is really red.

I said, "My friend, what do you mean?
You read that in some magazine.
Next thing you'll say, the earth's not green."

How can I be sure of you, anymore,
in a world that's always changing,
rearranging, always changing, changing?

I said, "My friend, how do you do!
And what you're saying isn't true.
Next thing you'll say, the earth is blue."

He said, "My friend, you're in a dream,
and things are never what they seem.
No, things are never what they seem."

How can I be sure of you, anymore,
in a world that's always changing,
rearranging, always changing, changing?

Here is the link to that great song:Harry Nilsson, "How can I be sure of you"

I think over the last several years I've been given the wonderful opportunity to re-evaluate a lot of my core dogmatic beliefs, including those of the good and moral purpose of psilocybin. Also, even today, digging deep and realizing that I had core values that were very materialistic and rooted in pride, and that they really do not matter to me, and I am happier without them.

Surprising trivia facts about any subject matter (holidays,... the history of Mother's Day even) can leave a person in a state of philosophical uncertainty, or "knock a person off their perch," and hopefully, leave them with a more open mind. If we can avoid dogmatic beliefs about anything, and be open to empirical and experiential data, we are in a better place.

And...

I also probably talk unintelligibly and random a lot.

Anything you guys want to do with it is cool with me. :thumbup:

--------------------
"In finance, everything that is agreeable is unsound and everything that is sound is disagreeable." --Sir Winston Churchill

"The world may not only be stranger than we suppose, it may be stranger than we can suppose."
J.B.S. Haldane

"Truth is stranger than fiction, but it is because fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't."
Mark Twain

OfflineLoaded Shaman
Psychophysiologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Now O'Clock
    #26689754 - 05/23/20 06:24 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Never, ever forget that "Whip people and flip tables" is a perfectly reasonable answer to the age old question "WWJD?"

--------------------

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance." — Confucius

InvisibleThe Blind Ass
Bodhi
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Primordial Mind
Re: Some interesting facts about Christianity that you might not have known [Re: Loaded Shaman]
    #26689812 - 05/23/20 06:57 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

:hook:

--------------------
Give me Liberty caps -or- give me Death caps

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate