Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon Calcium Chloride, Coir, Gypsum, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemagicbud
Stranger

Finding Gypsum in Spain
    #26685409 - 05/21/20 12:48 PM (10 days, 13 hours ago)

Hi all.

For years I have been trying to find a cheap supply of gypsum in Spain. And I think I have finally found some they will deliver to me. The only problem is that it doesn't show up as the full chemical name CaSO4·2H2O. It just says Calcium 2H20. I phoned, and they are unsure if it is for mushroom growing or not. He did tell me it doesn't go hard like cement after wetting.

Any ideas if this is what i need please?

https://mezclaperfecta.com/moldes-y-modelado/7557-sulfato-calcio-2h2o-1000-gr.html

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepoisoned
untitled
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Yurop
Re: Finding Gypsum in Spain [Re: magicbud]
    #26685532 - 05/21/20 01:47 PM (10 days, 12 hours ago)

I can't speak spanish, so I can't comment on the product you listed.

But basically, if you take gypsum that's supposed to fix your walls, moisturize it and let it dry, you'll end up with the product you want.

Most people don't use gypsum in their grows anymore tho.

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Loc: Funkytown
    #26685572 - 05/21/20 02:03 PM (10 days, 12 hours ago)

My Spanish isnt the best but it looks like what your after. Your looking for a pH buffer for substrate right? I'd be curious if another more readily available salt can be found. Like calcium chloride (pickling salt) or Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). I've never used either for a substitute so maybe do a bit of research.

--------------------

follow your dreams and stay asleep.
Spawning to Bulk Substate TEK

General Myco Info / FAQ / Terminology

InvisibleApples in Mono
Diamonds on My Fishsticks

#26685599 - 05/21/20 02:18 PM (10 days, 12 hours ago)

Says "calcium sulfate dihidrate" in description. That's it

Invisibleninja cat 09
A paranoid android
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Mx Flag
Re: Finding Gypsum in Spain [Re: Apples in Mono]
    #26685612 - 05/21/20 02:26 PM (10 days, 11 hours ago)

You should be able to search for "yeso" and find it. They should have it at most construction stores, or at least they do here in Mexico.

--------------------
             :crazykitty:

Offlinemagicbud
Stranger

Re: Finding Gypsum in Spain [Re: ninja cat 09]
    #26687274 - 05/22/20 07:23 AM (9 days, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

poisoned said:
I can't speak Spanish, so I can't comment on the product you listed.

But basically, if you take gypsum that's supposed to fix your walls, moisturise it and let it dry, you'll end up with the product you want.

Most people don't use gypsum in their grows anymore tho.

Thanks for the info :thumbup:
I tried doing similar to this, with dry wall last year. I found it a lot of hassle to grind it in to powder. Any ideas on other ways to supply extra calcium to grains/substrates?

Quote:

GreenHorns said:
My Spanish isn't the best but it looks like what your after. Your looking for a pH buffer for substrate right? I'd be curious if another more readily available salt can be found. Like calcium chloride (pickling salt) or Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). I've never used either for a substitute so maybe do a bit of research.

Thanks for the input :smile:
  I want to use the calcium in gypsum for extra food in a new grain i'll be testing, as I finally found something cheap (See bottom of post for the new grain i'm using). The sulfate being a good ph buffer for the substrate is just a happy coincidence for me.

I live in a place full of picking salt which I could pick for free. This is basically just untreated salt, no? I can't seem to find anyone talking about using picking salt in substrates for mushroom growing.

I also have a good supply of Epson salts, I thought about using some until I saw a lot of people talking about magnesium stunting growth in some mushrooms.

My main plan regarding ph was to treat the water with citric acid and reducing to 5-5.5ph.

Quote:

Apples in Mono said:
Says "calcium sulfate dihidrate" in description. That's it

Thanks for the confirmation, I was hoping that was the case :grin::thumbup:

Quote:

ninja cat 09 said:
You should be able to search for "yeso" and find it. They should have it at most construction stores, or at least they do here in Mexico.

I was searching for yeso, but it seemed to have varied ingredients. Some has fungicide and other ingredients that I didn't want to experiment with. It was "yeso agrícola" that I searched for in the end. The yeso agrícola is normally untreated doesn't harden when wet.

Thanks again for all the info everyone :peace::heart::rockon:

My new grain is pigeon food which consists of:
sorghum
wheat
vetch
green pea
barley
limestone seashell
sunflower seeds
safflower seeds

Does anyone has any ideas of an additive that might be use full for these grains?, or maybe I'll be fine with just the contents of the pigeon food?

OfflinePiggyPig
Stranger

#26687326 - 05/22/20 08:06 AM (9 days, 18 hours ago)

I've been using plaster of paris from the hardware store for a long time with great results. People say you have to let it harden and break it up but I never do. Use it straight out of the carton and it works great. Very cheap as well. I use 950g of dry coir, 500g of verm, 3500g of boiling tap water and 120g of plaster in a pail of sub. I mix my Plaster in the water once it boils, give it a good stir, then pour in onto the coir while it's still swirling in the boiling pot. Let sit for a minute with the lid on, add verm, shake the shit out of it and let it sit overnight. Shake again the next day and it's good to go.

OfflineGreenHorns
some kind of boogin
 User Gallery

Loc: Funkytown
Re: Finding Gypsum in Spain [Re: PiggyPig]
    #26687538 - 05/22/20 09:53 AM (9 days, 16 hours ago)

I've never known them to be used either in myco work but I have used them in brewing projects as buffers. Just throwing ideas out there for you :smile:

That's a pretty diverse assortment you have there. Any particular species your using that needs the variety? I never cared for sunflower seeds or anything heavy in floating debris. Honestly millet is all I use for cubes. I was getting "canary roller mix" from a feed store at one point and it was mostly millet. When I couldn't get that anymore I went with 100% millet and never found a need to change.

I assumed the gypsum was for your substrate not the grain. Must be a fun project your working on. Getting fancy!

--------------------

follow your dreams and stay asleep.
Spawning to Bulk Substate TEK

General Myco Info / FAQ / Terminology

Offlinemagicbud
Stranger

Re: Finding Gypsum in Spain [Re: GreenHorns]
    #26689657 - 05/23/20 06:38 AM (8 days, 19 hours ago)

Quote:

GreenHorns said:
I've never known them to be used either in myco work but I have used them in brewing projects as buffers. Just throwing ideas out there for you :smile:

That's a pretty diverse assortment you have there. Any particular species your using that needs the variety? I never cared for sunflower seeds or anything heavy in floating debris. Honestly millet is all I use for cubes. I was getting "canary roller mix" from a feed store at one point and it was mostly millet. When I couldn't get that anymore I went with 100% millet and never found a need to change.

I assumed the gypsum was for your substrate not the grain. Must be a fun project your working on. Getting fancy!

"Getting Fancy"  :rofl2:
No particular species, it's just a ready made mix normally sold for pigeon food.
I'll be testing the grain with any mushrooms or spores I can get my hands on by cloning or buying. Mainly starting with oysters and cubes, as that is what I have instant access to.
This weekend I'll be trying to achieve a 50% water content in the grain, then hopefully have my gypsum here for next weekend. The gypsum is also good to help keep seed kernels separated from what I've read.
I'll have to look in to using millet, thanks for the info :peace::heart::thumbup:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   Amazon Calcium Chloride, Coir, Gypsum, pH Test Strips, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation