Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Spawn Bags, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMakinMushrooms
Stranger
 User Gallery
Mono stalled in pinning?
    #26685407 - 05/21/20 12:48 PM (10 days, 13 hours ago)

Hey all,
Im new to this but decided to dive right in.  Two months in and I have a few questions.

My monotub has been pinning for ten days.  the fruits are growing, but it seems to be moving slowly.  The tub is made from a 3lb grain spawn bag shot up with spores.  It took 5 weeks for the bag to fully colonize and at the time, it looked like healthy mcy to me.  This is my first grow, but it looked like pictures and smelled fine.  I also have had plenty of success with my other mushrooms going now (lions mane and oysters) and their bags looked similar.

I did a lot of sub to spawn ratio.  That three lb grain was put with one and a half of the 50/50 coir/verm tek. (so a brick and a half of coir) with about a gallon and a half of horse shit. I prepared it so that i needed to squeeze quite hard to generate a small stream of water. It was pasteurized in my homemade steam box 140 deg for three hours.  If i had to guess a ratio of 1:8 for spawn:sub.  I had not planned well for my giant monotub, it was my first grow.

The tub was unopened for three weeks as i could see inside and it was not fully colonized.  When it was 90% (20 days) i began to mist and fan it a few times daily.  the first pin came three days later.  This first pin was 11 days ago, since then a small grove has grown but it still seems to be knotting and pinning in different areas of the tub?  There are also areas in the tub where the myc looks greyish.  I dont know if it is just a thin covering over the coir, or if it is something else growing.  It has been there since the day i opened the tub.

Does this timing look right to you experienced growers? I picked the first two growers (looked like they were going to dump spores) and i think i got a clone on some agar.  so i think i can have some of the "Faster" genetics for the next run.  I will post a pic in a day or so when it grows out more.

Are there any grey molds i should study and compare?  Is this tub slow or is this normal?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to learning more.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMakinMushrooms
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Mono stalled in pinning? [Re: MakinMushrooms]
    #26686262 - 05/21/20 08:12 PM (10 days, 5 hours ago)

Noticed something new just a moment ago.

There is a black dead looking section on the cap of one of my mushrooms.  Is this an issue I need to do something about?

also, the clone agar.

I see there is some garbage in the dish, but a lot of good real estate around the myc growth.  Is there any logic to where i take my culture from for the next dish (clearly i will avoid the contaminates).

OfflineIzzamagic
Stranger
    #26686636 - 05/21/20 10:45 PM (10 days, 3 hours ago)

Looks like some kind of mold contam. What is the covering over the holes in the mono? The pins look like they are hungry for more air too

OfflineMakinMushrooms
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Mono stalled in pinning? [Re: Izzamagic]
    #26687545 - 05/22/20 09:57 AM (9 days, 15 hours ago)

The holes are 2" holes.  the tops are covered with a single layer of micropore tape, and the the lowers have two layers.  Remove some of this to promote more FAE?  Maybe none on the top holes and single layer on the lower ones?  I fan three times a day with a 300CFM (yeah thats not a typo) 3" axial fan for about 30 seconds, so there should be some fresh air in there frequently. It smells of mushrooms usually, but I think the mold is starting to make some smell of its own.  I then hit it with a fine mist and put the lid back on.  Maybe leave it off to the side a few inches for more FAE?

Yeah I figured mold, but I have not found one that is grey like that in my looking about on the forums.  The mold is starving my mushes?  Should I change my fanning or misting?

It the tub salvageable? or should i harvest what is there (tiny haul) and just focus on my next tubs?

OfflineIzzamagic
Stranger
    #26687861 - 05/22/20 12:49 PM (9 days, 12 hours ago)

Im not the best resource, but it sounds like you have plenty of FAE. Maybe the pins are aborting due to contam? Did you check internal temp of substrate as you pasteurized? Its hard to say if the spawn was clean at this point I reckon. If you have leftover grain jars you could take a few grains to agar and check. That may not be a reliable way of checking though considering your sample of the grains may not be representative

OfflineInfraredRick
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Midwest, USA
Re: Mono stalled in pinning? [Re: Izzamagic]
    #26688200 - 05/22/20 03:18 PM (9 days, 10 hours ago)

I'm no master either but here are my thoughts....

A 1:8 ratio for a newbie is asking for trouble. Reason is, it will take a long time for spawn to fully colonize the substrate. The longer it takes, the more time for things to go wrong. Because I'm still sorta new I use a 1:1 ratio.

I was never able to make tape work, but poly works great for me and I'll prol never change.

Anything that doesn't smell like mushrooms is prol bad. I never take a chance, if things might be bad I toss it. Way easy to start over as opposed to making myself or, way worse, others sick.

I'm pretty new and don't take chances. Best thing I did to ensure success was to adopt trusted teks on this site and follow the recipes to a T. Those guys already figured out and simplified fucking everything. Waste of resources, time and risk to toggle together ideas from here and there. Because you'll prol mostly fail.

--------------------
Inspiration move me brightly.[gradient:#C7C7D4,#CFD4C7]y[/gradient]

OfflineMakinMushrooms
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Mono stalled in pinning? [Re: InfraredRick]
    #26688667 - 05/22/20 06:48 PM (9 days, 6 hours ago)

yeah i knew the ratio was prob an issue, but when i spawned this tub i did a grain to grain (a 5lb bag) and it took a bit to colonize too.  might have been a contaminate in the original grains.  Anyway, i spawned this suspect grain 1:1 in a grow bag like i use for my lions mane.  It has been 8 days now and it is almost fully colonized.  From what i can tell it has no grey areas on it but it does look a bit different than my oysters and lions mane bags.  I think the grain is dirty, but this is the end of it anyways, as I didn't make any more grain with it. 

here is a pic of the sketchy bag, planning on letting it fruit in the bag as i think its dirty and i don't want it in my martha.

Can you identify the mold? or show me somewhere on the site to look for detailed contaminate info?

OfflineInfraredRick
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: Midwest, USA
    #26689078 - 05/22/20 10:31 PM (9 days, 3 hours ago)

No I can't and no I won't. There are shittons of info about contams on this site. Just look.

--------------------
Inspiration move me brightly.[gradient:#C7C7D4,#CFD4C7]y[/gradient]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Coir, Spawn Bags, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started