Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Loc: FREEDOM Flag
Good privacy browser?
    #26678916 - 05/18/20 12:37 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Any good browsers I can download for android. Im using firefox focus. Its cool and all but I cant upload pics to shroomery. I have to drop my privacy browser and use google browser to upload.
Also can't click or watch youtube links through this browser. Dont really care much about that though.

--------------------
Trade List
🖕🖕🖕
6 hole Mini Monos

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemigraineur
Geezer
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Good privacy browser? [Re: gizmo1]
    #26678929 - 05/18/20 12:44 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Use a VPN and then use the standard version of Firefox but use a privacy window when using it.

Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Re: Good privacy browser? [Re: migraineur]
    #26678942 - 05/18/20 12:49 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Im already using vpn. Does the standard version allow you to upmoad pics to shroomery?
Im assuming privacy window is like incognito mode for firefox?
I dont like having to turn something off and on all the time very forgetful id prefer an actual privacy browser.

--------------------
Trade List
🖕🖕🖕
6 hole Mini Monos

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: Good privacy browser? [Re: gizmo1]
    #26679056 - 05/18/20 01:59 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Maybe Brave?  Or try seeing if Javascript is enabled on your browser.

Also a VPN is probably helping you a lot less than you think unless you're trying to get around some sort of censor.  The idea that they exist to somehow obfuscate your activity is honestly misguided.  You can use them to that end but it's not like connecting through a VPN necessarily equals better privacy and security (even when you're using something like Tor).

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/11382/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-a-vpn-for-privacy/11403#11403

Quote:

have to say that in my opinion, VPN is very overrated in terms of privacy.

It's meant to tunnel your private data over an insecure medium, so provide confidentiality from your VPN client to your VPN server, and only between these points. The way from your application to your VPN client and the whole way from your VPN server to your wanted destionation does not include that! And it does not mean your destination won't know you're using VPN!

If you're an employee and need to do work in your companies network, fine, thats the purpose of VPN, but otherwise you have to distinguish your enemy:
Do you just want that one website you're visting to not know where you are? Maybe VPN is still ok.
Do you not want your authorities to know that, too? Hell don't even think about using VPN.
Your VPN provider will give out anything, and thats all you wanted to hide. He won't risk his business for you! No, even not if your providers country is different from yours. International "crime"-fighting is more organized than ever. And yes, downloading that one music title you'd never buy for money counts as "crime".

But you asked what you CAN do for privacy. There is something still exploitable to gain what you're seeking. Up to, I'd say 99% safety:

Prepaid mobile internet, it's cheap nowadays, and you can buy the SIM-card, the connector for your computer and the credit with the last anonymous payment method: Cash!
Of course you have to keep some important things in mind as to secure your computer (especially to not disclose information), just use it in crowded places, etc.

But as anything in security, the whole system is just as weak as the weakest member: One login with a real identity, one prepaid credit paid with your card, and you're (theoretically, but don't hope for something better) back to your current situation.

Invisiblegizmo1
Other User Gallery

Re: Good privacy browser? [Re: chibiabos]
    #26680143 - 05/19/20 01:51 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

chibiabos said:
Maybe Brave?  Or try seeing if Javascript is enabled on your browser.

Also a VPN is probably helping you a lot less than you think unless you're trying to get around some sort of censor.  The idea that they exist to somehow obfuscate your activity is honestly misguided.  You can use them to that end but it's not like connecting through a VPN necessarily equals better privacy and security (even when you're using something like Tor).

https://security.stackexchange.com/questions/11382/what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-a-vpn-for-privacy/11403#11403

Quote:

have to say that in my opinion, VPN is very overrated in terms of privacy.

It's meant to tunnel your private data over an insecure medium, so provide confidentiality from your VPN client to your VPN server, and only between these points. The way from your application to your VPN client and the whole way from your VPN server to your wanted destionation does not include that! And it does not mean your destination won't know you're using VPN!

If you're an employee and need to do work in your companies network, fine, thats the purpose of VPN, but otherwise you have to distinguish your enemy:
Do you just want that one website you're visting to not know where you are? Maybe VPN is still ok.
Do you not want your authorities to know that, too? Hell don't even think about using VPN.
Your VPN provider will give out anything, and thats all you wanted to hide. He won't risk his business for you! No, even not if your providers country is different from yours. International "crime"-fighting is more organized than ever. And yes, downloading that one music title you'd never buy for money counts as "crime".

But you asked what you CAN do for privacy. There is something still exploitable to gain what you're seeking. Up to, I'd say 99% safety:

Prepaid mobile internet, it's cheap nowadays, and you can buy the SIM-card, the connector for your computer and the credit with the last anonymous payment method: Cash!
Of course you have to keep some important things in mind as to secure your computer (especially to not disclose information), just use it in crowded places, etc.

But as anything in security, the whole system is just as weak as the weakest member: One login with a real identity, one prepaid credit paid with your card, and you're (theoretically, but don't hope for something better) back to your current situation.

Brave worked fine. :thumbup:

--------------------
Trade List
🖕🖕🖕
6 hole Mini Monos

Invisibledeadwk

Loc: Canada, eh? Flag
    #26684548 - 05/20/20 11:27 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

To date brave is my favourite browser, as it bundles a lot of nice security first capabilities into the browser as well as bundling metamask. The one thing I dislike about brave is its script blocking capabilities are pretty average, and consist of blocking all scripts, or allowing all on a page.

In general there's a lot of things you can do depending on the browser you use which means you dont necessarily need to use one browser over the other. In general though if you're using google chrome you are probably better off switching to chromium or a browser based on chromium (brave is), but this isn't really necessary if you take the proper steps which can be done with almost any browser really.

Some list of extensions that are good to use across all browsers except brave as it bundles this type of capabilities:

• NoScript (firefox only)
  • HTTPS Everywhere
  • ScriptSafe (NoScript but for chromium based browsers)
  • uBlock Origin, Privacy Badger, other ad blocks

You'll also want to make sure that you enable stuff like DNT (Do Not Track) headers, but that's only good if websites you visit respect them.

There's also more you can do to supplement your privacy via any browser:

• Use PiHole for network-level ad blocking
  • Use a local recursive DNS resolver with DNSSEC, DoT (DNS over TLS), and DoH (DNS over HTTP) capabilities. Stubby + dnsmasq is a good choice

Offlinechibiabos
Cosmic Pond Scum

Re: Good privacy browser? [Re: deadwk]
    #26684613 - 05/21/20 12:03 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I just use pdnsd and polipo (on my desktop).  :shrug:

Offlinesinglet_oxygen
Stranger
    #26688671 - 05/22/20 04:50 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

A VPN trades your ISP for the VPN's ISP.

When you don't use a VPN you need to trust your ISP and the infrastructure between you and the wider internet. When you use a VPN you need to trust the VPN, the VPNs ISP, and the infrastructure between your VPN and the wider internet.

It makes sense only if your own ISP is particularly a concern/untrustworthy.

--------------------
1O2

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom