Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepsyborg
psy addict.

Loc: Mushroom Mountain
Horrible flushes.
    #2668313 - 05/12/04 11:35 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hi all, me again with more complaining and asking for some help.

Well I git 4 cakes in my fruiting chamber that are just giving me horrible flushes. On average I am only getting 2 full grown shrooms per cake (andvery small, 3-4 inches). After the first flush I dunked all my cakes for 12 hours. I fan 3 times a day, humidity is perfect (96%) and temp. is also perfect (74F). They get light the wole day from a artificial source. I just cant understand, I get tons of pins then I get all excited but 90% of them abort.

Please prevent me from getting a resceding hairline as I am getting frustrated.

Thanks o mighty smarter people than I. :P

:laugh:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: psyborg]
    #2668326 - 05/12/04 11:39 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek ** Update 10.17.17 **
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

OfflineTransplant
Janitor
Loc: Texas
Re: Horrible flushes. [Re: psyborg]
    #2668336 - 05/12/04 11:42 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You try to make a reservoir in the center of each cake? Try this. Get some straws (steal a few from MCDonalds that are covered with plastic to help keep contams down). Push one straw into the top of each cake, but not all the way through the cake, about half way so that it will stay in place. Then use a diluted H202 and Distilled water mix. Use a sterilized syringe and fill each straw with the mix. The cake will absorb the water as it is needed. If you are getting fruits then I am assuming your okay on the temp and humidity, so try to give more water since cakes dry out fast since each fruit is taking away the water from the middle of the cake. Also, you can try scratching the surface of the cakes (using a sterilized fork, gently rake over the surface area of each cake)

--------------------
Will Screw For Shrooms

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: Transplant]
    #2668340 - 05/12/04 11:45 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlinepsyborg
psy addict.

Re: Horrible flushes. [Re: Citric]
    #2668350 - 05/12/04 11:46 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Holy Shit!!  :eek:
What a difference in such a short time. It  takes me about a week for the one or 2 that does grow to get that size!! Well done mate.
You will be my god if I get the same result!  :bow:

OfflineTransplant
Janitor
    #2668355 - 05/12/04 11:48 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Dunking replinishes spent water, which will be spent again quickly on the next flush. You can only expect small fruits and limited amounts in proportion to the water content of the cake.

--------------------
Will Screw For Shrooms

InvisibleCitric
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: Transplant]
    #2668365 - 05/12/04 11:50 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------
Cup O' Shrooms

My final Grow!

OfflineTransplant
Janitor
    #2668384 - 05/12/04 11:56 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

granted...I may be stuck into old habits. This is my analogy.
If you have a cake that absorbed x amount of water from a dunk. Then if you get 4 fruits off of the cake, they share that x amount of water and the water from the humidity (negligible IMHO). So if you dunk then wait until you see pins and add a straw, you can keep filling it up while the fruits grow supplying them with all they want to grow up and be big and strong like the cased ones. But this is an age old debate that boils down to trial and error and personal desires :wink:

--------------------
Will Screw For Shrooms

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2668457 - 05/12/04 12:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I would not use the straw tek (and yes it does work but it's no better then dunking) but having a sitting pool of water on or in the cake is a invite for contams. I'd go with a dunk and roll or if you really want to do the hole in the cake method try this.
When you make the cake use a sharpey pen and make the hole in the center as you make it. Fill the hole with moist verm and make the cake as usual. Then when the cake is birthed you can just add sterile water to the verm in the center of the cake and there isn't going to be a pool of water.

Dunking and rolling seems to work.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineTransplant
Janitor
Re: Horrible flushes. [Re: Magash]
    #2668464 - 05/12/04 12:28 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I like that idea Magash.

--------------------
Will Screw For Shrooms

Offlinedaisybird
journeyman

Re: Horrible flushes. [Re: Transplant]
    #2668477 - 05/12/04 12:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

is that hydroton clay pebbles?

Offlinepsyborg
psy addict.

#2668569 - 05/12/04 01:07 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thank all, I will see what I can do about the humidity and start rolling my cakes in verm after the next dunk. One question though, how much pressure should I add when rolling to help the verm stick?

Thanks again, all your opinions a valued.
:laugh:

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Horrible flushes. [Re: daisybird]
    #2669387 - 05/12/04 03:59 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Actually it's a mix of hydroton and geolite.  :cool:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

OfflineDrMambo
hamburger time
 User Gallery

Loc: 53rd & 3rd
Re: Horrible flushes. [Re: Magash]
    #2669741 - 05/12/04 05:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I know that verm is a pretty inert substance, but is there any need (or way) to sterilize it before rolling a cake in it? I once did a succesful case in pure verm and simply dumped it in from the bag, but I'd like as much success as possible this time around.

--------------------
"Yeah, he's a professor...... OF BEING A DOG!"

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Horrible flushes. [Re: DrMambo]
    #2669884 - 05/12/04 05:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You definately want to sterilize the verm before casing! Although it is a relatively inert substance,as you said,it does have serious "carrier" potential. It will definately harbor mold and bacteria that will love your substrate. Just put some in a bowl and wet it until it has a very slight amount of unabsorbed water at the bottom of the bowl. Then nuke it for a few minutes a couple of times ,or put it in the oven at 300deg for around thirty minutes. I think the oven works well because you can put a spoon in with it before covering the whole thing with foil and you will have a nice sterile casing applicator as well. Make sure the verm is nice and cool before you use it. Good Luck

MYKEY

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #2670994 - 05/12/04 08:58 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Also check your airflow. Fanning 1 to 3 times a day is like the minimum amount for them. You want big flushes then you need to have conditions exactly how the mushrooms want it. Now lots of people are going to say that 1 to 3 times a day is fine, myself, I'll do what Stamets says because it works.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures