Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsychgro
Mr. Stranger
Male User Gallery

Will Oysters be Vigorous enough??
    #26448055 - 01/23/20 11:52 AM (4 months, 3 days ago)

I’ve jumped into mycology straight into the deep end, like many I’m sure, and I’m desperate to see my first mushrooms. I’ve got a bunch of plates growing out, and the only thing most of my other stuff needs is time and patience to be done right.

My wife threw a curveball into my plans and brought me a “back to roots mushroom mini farm”, it’s basically a small colonized bag waiting to be dunked and fruited. To add to this I also just received my bags and have everything I need to get everything rolling. After reading how aggressive oysters can be I figured I could maybe skip a few steps and fast track everything to get oysters, a lot of them, fast. I just didn’t see myself fruiting that tiny block when I could maybe use it as spawn for a few much larger bags.

I’ve sterilized a few bags of sawdust with grains (maybe between 8-10 : 1  hardwood pellets to grain ratio by dry volume) and made my mushroom mini farm block into a slurry with distilled water and a little bit of Karo added, all open air. 🤪...I know this Isn’t suggested and I wouldn’t recommend anyone else trying it out unless you’re willing to accept great odds of failure. I’ve gotten way ahead of myself, but I’m willing to take the risk with a few bags. I did keep a few samples and put some to agar in case this fails catastrophically.

I know oysters are spawned in open air when put to straw or sawdust buckets, but that’s usually with pasteurized subs, not sterilized.

What is everyone’s opinion on this?? Does this have a chance or will it be total miserable failure?
Total failure or better chances than I think?
You may choose only one
Total failure waste of time
You’re definitely gonna get some oysters

Votes accepted from (01/23/20 08:49 AM) to (No end specified)
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll

--------------------
Looking to learn all about it

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineForrester
dumbfounded dipshit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine, USA Flag
Re: Will Oysters be Vigorous enough?? [Re: Psychgro]
    #26449065 - 01/23/20 09:51 PM (4 months, 3 days ago)

Open air spawning is fine when you're spawning colonized grain to uncolonized wood substrate, but as you already know it's never a good idea to spawn to sterilized grain in the open air.  Not only that but your "spawn" if you wanna call it that, isn't anywhere near clean.  You probably would have had a lot better chances if you didn't include grain in your substrate.

That said, I'm not gonna tell you it won't work, it is oysters so who knows :shrug:

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineZifozonke
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Will Oysters be Vigorous enough?? [Re: Forrester]
    #26449769 - 01/24/20 11:04 AM (4 months, 3 days ago)

Mushroom roulette??
I personally would have opted to just put your mini brick to a bucket of sawdust/HWP/or even just pasteurized straw-with out adding any further grains - and grabbed some clones from there to work with??
Hope it goes well thou and you end up with some tasty oysters for the table !!
:mushdance:

OfflinePsychgro
Mr. Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26501765 - 02/24/20 03:41 PM (3 months, 2 days ago)

After doing this I expected nothing but failure. I thought I was there, I swore cobweb was all I got after noticing wispy gray growth the first few days. I set the bags aside and figured I’d take pics when they were totally gross o post on this thread.

Went to go see what was going on and found this!! There was no explosion of cobweb and the wispy gray turned into white ropy growth...there is some Trich and I’m sure there’ll be more after a thorough mixing, but into a cold corner they go to see what becomes of them.

P.S. I wouldn’t recommend this at all BTW, it was silly and stupid at best. Had I grown out my initial mini block I would already have eaten blue oysters, had fruits to make cultures, clones, prints, and liquid cultures...any of which could’ve been used to grow more mushrooms and would probably fruit before these bags had i done it the right way and nocced up three identical bags today.

--------------------

OfflinePsychgro
Mr. Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26501770 - 02/24/20 03:43 PM (3 months, 2 days ago)

And one bag after mixing...the smell was fresh mushrooms through and through

--------------------

OfflinePsychgro
Mr. Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26679173 - 05/18/20 03:09 PM (11 days, 21 hours ago)

I took those bags and split them 1 or 2 to a bucket of pasteurized straw and this is where that left me...10 buckets, some faster than others

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01S
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
    #26679639 - 05/18/20 06:58 PM (11 days, 17 hours ago)

Those were harvested too early. You could have got a lot more if you would have let it grow longer.

--------------------
SHROOMSISAY01 TEKS

SHROOMSISAY01 55 GALLON STEAMER TEK.

Hi pressure fog under $250

OnlineForrester
dumbfounded dipshit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine, USA Flag
Re: Will Oysters be Vigorous enough?? [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #26682885 - 05/20/20 09:15 AM (10 days, 3 hours ago)

For sure, but this time of year outdoors sometimes it's better to sacrifice some size to not have them filled with fly larvae, at least where I'm at :lol:

--------------------
Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01S
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: Will Oysters be Vigorous enough?? [Re: Forrester]
    #26683366 - 05/20/20 01:30 PM (9 days, 22 hours ago)

What no-fly larva!! You are wasting the best part. Fly larva is underrated. Some crackers with fly larva are great. It goes well with pencil erasers.

--------------------
SHROOMSISAY01 TEKS

SHROOMSISAY01 55 GALLON STEAMER TEK.

Hi pressure fog under $250

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms