Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVendox
Stranger

Fruiting chamber humidity questions
    #26681921 - 05/19/20 09:03 PM (10 days, 14 hours ago)

After my fan and fogger kick on the sensor turns them off at 85%, but the humidity will continue to rise to 88-90%.  I realize this isn't a bad thing, but I am curious as to why this happens. 

I am already starting to get growth on my lions mane, but I am also wondering if the amount of bags in the chamber will affect fruiting conditions. 

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSHROOMSISAY01S
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: Fruiting chamber humidity questions [Re: Vendox]
    #26682025 - 05/19/20 10:00 PM (10 days, 13 hours ago)

That happens because the sensor is slow. Humidity is rising so quickly it takes time for the sensor to catch up.

--------------------
SHROOMSISAY01 TEKS

SHROOMSISAY01 55 GALLON STEAMER TEK.

Hi pressure fog under $250

Offlineseagu

Re: Fruiting chamber humidity questions [Re: SHROOMSISAY01]
    #26682604 - 05/20/20 05:53 AM (10 days, 5 hours ago)

Have you Calibrated your humidity sensor yet? It really helps, in a noticeable performance difference.. if you are using inkbird like most of us use then there are videos and instructions all over the place on how to do it. I might miss a step if I try and explain by memory so check out the video gr0wer did on it. Walks you through it all and his calibration number he uses actually worked just fine for mine... not guarantee it will for you too but so you see how easy it is... follow his video and you will figure out yours.

--------------------
Plan to win or you are planning for failure. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Just figure out the solution. Even if that means banging your head on a wall until the solution oozes out of you.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01S
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Re: Fruiting chamber humidity questions [Re: seagu]
    #26682771 - 05/20/20 07:50 AM (10 days, 3 hours ago)

I will look and see if I can find his video I just usually use the salt test to calibrate mine. but I would like to see if he does it another way.

--------------------
SHROOMSISAY01 TEKS

Offlineseagu

#26682907 - 05/20/20 09:26 AM (10 days, 2 hours ago)

He wets a paper towel or something  and stick it in a plastic baggie and then sticks the probe into it. I wrapped mine with a damp towel and let it sit for a while. Not familiar with a salt method?

--------------------
Plan to win or you are planning for failure. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Just figure out the solution. Even if that means banging your head on a wall until the solution oozes out of you.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01S
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

#26683216 - 05/20/20 12:14 PM (9 days, 23 hours ago)

Damp Salt will cause 75% humidity. In a cap of some sort put 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of salt then put one teaspoon of water and mix it up. Place the cap with salt and water in the bag along with the probe. Seal the bag. wait and 24 hours the humidity should be exactly 75%. If not adjust to make it 75%.

I keep 2 probes at all times if I think my probe is off I plug in my other probe and place the old probe in the bag wait 24 hours and then just plug it in to see if it is off.

The salt method is more accurate.

--------------------
SHROOMSISAY01 TEKS

OfflinePiggyPig
Stranger

#26684889 - 05/21/20 05:35 AM (9 days, 5 hours ago)

Sounds like it is simply a delay in your sensor reading. If calibration was the issue, you would need to be getting two different readings from two different devices. If the humidistat controller is what is telling you that your humidity is hitting higher than your target, all the calibration in the world won't prevent the overshot. How many devices are you getting humidity readings from?

Offlineseagu

Re: Fruiting chamber humidity questions [Re: PiggyPig]
    #26684996 - 05/21/20 07:06 AM (9 days, 4 hours ago)

Quote:

PiggyPig said:
Sounds like it is simply a delay in your sensor reading. If calibration was the issue, you would need to be getting two different readings from two different devices. If the humidistat controller is what is telling you that your humidity is hitting higher than your target, all the calibration in the world won't prevent the overshot. How many devices are you getting humidity readings from?

Well, I wasn't thinking calibration would solve his issue he is asking about per se. But I was thinking, " I bet he hasn't done calibration at all and just got excited the thing came in the mail and hooked it all up and started cooking with gas. And calibration would solve other issues he will see that just hasn't asked about yet. And a properly setup system is the best place to start when troubleshooting."

See, when troubleshooting a problem, us people who troubleshoot for a living and are any good, will start from the ground up and rebuild/re-check everything to make sure it is 100% properly setup/built. For example, is the power plugged in? Then follow from there, not skipping anything because quite often enough it is the little thing that got missed and is causing it to not work.

But, it could be a delay in the sensor. It could be also the fog is still in the humidifier and hoses and getting pulled through still since it has to go somewhere and so the RH goes up as it moves on through.

--------------------

OfflineVendox
Stranger

#26685838 - 05/21/20 02:33 PM (8 days, 21 hours ago)

Thanks for the replies!

I've been doing some testing:

I have it set to turn off at 85%.  It turns off at 85% but will rise to around ~86.2% with nothing in the chamber before falling. When the bags are in the chamber, it will still cut off at 85% but go up to ~89%-92% over the next few minutes. It must have something to do with air flow in the chamber being affected by the bags.  Maybe the humidity in the bags is doing some buffering.  More testing is needed.

-I have tried changing sensor location, and it looks like you want it in the middle or slightly below middle, 2/3 down or somewhere in between.

-I have verified with an independent sensor and readings are usually within 1-1.5%.  When the fogger first kicks on, they take a few minutes to settle but, they read pretty close. 

-This isn't really a problem because those are still good humidity levels.  In fact I have haven't really tried to mess with anything. Except with summer coming, I might have to tone due to more humidity in the ambient air.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01S
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

#26687228 - 05/22/20 04:35 AM (8 days, 6 hours ago)

I use a circulation fan to mix the air constantly I put my sensor on the intake of the fan. That way the mixed air is being read by the sensor as it is being pulled through the fan. I get my best readings this way. I wrap my sensor in a Paint booth filter...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/24-x-24-EP-RED-PREMIUM-EXHAUST-PAINT-BOOTH-FILTERS-Trial-Pack-of-2-Filters/122022033110?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

--------------------
SHROOMSISAY01 TEKS

Offlineseagu

#26687282 - 05/22/20 05:29 AM (8 days, 6 hours ago)

I have ran mine with and without calibration. At the top, middle, bottom, in front of the exhaust which is and was at the bottom. And I have seen the RH creep up after shutting off, like you are explaining. I never thought anything of it as I thought it was normal as there was still fog running through the system still after everything shutoff so it would still be building up for a few. The fog doesn't instantly disappear when it shuts off after all. Also, I have heard these are notorious for having accuracy problems above 90RH. Calibration greatly helped fix that for me. Including not soaking everything as often or as quickly. But for me placing it near the bottom and calibrating it, but not in front of the exhaust directly, in both of my fruiting chambers with the exhaust at the bottom and Humidified FAE intake at the top was the sweet spot for my different fruiting chambers, so far. I have not tried SHROOMSISAY01's method.

--------------------

OfflineVendox
Stranger

#26687574 - 05/22/20 08:20 AM (8 days, 3 hours ago)

Thanks for the replies and info.

I will try calibrating it and see if that leads to more accurate readings.  As far as a circulating fan, that sounds like a great idea as well.  I'm not sure how I would accomplish that with such a small chamber.  Maybe I could set something up in the bottom. I definitely can't add anything on the exterior because this is barely wife tolerated much less approved.

Offlineseagu

Re: Fruiting chamber humidity questions [Re: Vendox] * 1
    #26687597 - 05/22/20 08:34 AM (8 days, 3 hours ago)

When I was running this thing I placed the circulation fan towards the walls. Eventually I placed it at the top hanging facing the back wall an inch or two or away from the wall so that it was not blowing directly on the fruits and then the air would bounce off the walls and go everywhere in the chamber. Seemed to work well. I said the same thing as you when I was trying to figure out my circulation fan placement. Hope this helps.

--------------------

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01S
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

#26687898 - 05/22/20 11:11 AM (8 days, 24 minutes ago)

If you think about it. You want the air to be already mixed when it is read. The best place for this to happen is at the intake of the fan. Placing the probe there will give you consistent readings. That is why I use the filter wrapped around my sensor. Any spores will build up around the sensor. So I keep a couple of peices of the filter and change them out. I wash the filter and reuse it.

--------------------
SHROOMSISAY01 TEKS

OfflineVendox
Stranger

#26699548 - 05/27/20 01:49 PM (2 days, 21 hours ago)

They seem slightly pink and I've read that this is due to high humidity in the chamber. 

-Are they ok to eat?
-Should I dial back the humidity levels a bit?

Last question, should I harvest or wait a few days.  They are growing pretty fast and we are excited to try them.

OfflineSHROOMSISAY01S
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

#26699657 - 05/27/20 02:30 PM (2 days, 21 hours ago)

They are definitely ok to eat.

--------------------
SHROOMSISAY01 TEKS

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms