Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLuminous7

Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus * 1
    #26673312 - 05/15/20 06:36 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

So i have some Trichs that are growing to large and hitting the lights.

I need to chop them.

Im basically just wondering whats the best way to harvest and process it so that I can store it until i want to consume it.

I was thinking just peel all the skin and dehydrate the skin and store in a air tight jar .?

Thoughts?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleconnectedcosmos
Neti Neti
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Pathless Path
Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus [Re: Luminous7]
    #26674279 - 05/16/20 06:52 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I cut mine into stars and dehydrated completely till cracker dry, then stored in Mason jars till ready for extraction

You pretty much hit the nail on the head :shrug:

--------------------

54. The true nature of things is to be known personally , through the eyes of clear illumination and not through a sage : what the moon exactly is , is to be known with one's own eyes ; can another make him know it?

OfflineLittleBoard
Stranger

#26674283 - 05/16/20 06:55 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Is there some part of the cactus you don't need? I have seen some videos and people said different things. Is the stuff in the outer skin or in the middle of the cactus?

Invisibleconnectedcosmos
Neti Neti
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Pathless Path
Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus [Re: LittleBoard]
    #26674296 - 05/16/20 07:04 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I've always just despined and peeled the skin and used all parts of the cactus , I believe most of the alkaloids are in the outer most green flesh , definitely more bitter than the core :shrug:

--------------------

54. The true nature of things is to be known personally , through the eyes of clear illumination and not through a sage : what the moon exactly is , is to be known with one's own eyes ; can another make him know it?

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus (moved) [Re: Luminous7]
    #26674861 - 05/16/20 01:06 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

This thread was moved from Other Drugs Discussion.

Reason:
Belongs here.

OfflinePandemoon
Ἧeẍeᾐmeḭsṫeŗ ͛
Male User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus (moved) [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 2
    #26674885 - 05/16/20 01:27 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

The term "skin" might be misleading for some.

Cacti do have a skin. A waxy hard layer, on the very outside, that can easily be peeled off (more or less easily lol). Cut out the spines /areoles before.

This skin is not active, and not meant to be consumed orally. Discard it.
When boiling tea though you don't have to peel it off, as you filter it out in the end anyway.

The alkaloids are in the flesh of the plant.
Under the skin there is a layer of less than half an inch or so with very dark green flesh. This is what you want to keep and eat. The majority of the alkaloids seems to be in the dark green.
The closer you come to the core of the plant the lighter and whiter the flesh gets. Eat this too, but you might not want to eat the core.

Some people call the dark green flesh also skin. Or everything but the core. But that's just confusing in my opinion.

When eating raw plants (just blend with some water and "drink") I use mostly the dark green flesh, and some of the white. I don't eat the core.
When boiling tea /tar, I use the whole plant, though. With skin and core. With short spined pachanois I sometimes even let the spines on.
Just chop into small chunks of half an inch and boil the heck out of it over several hours. Repeat with fresh water, combine liquids, filter well, reduce. Drink, or dry down to tar.
Use multiple cuttings at once to make a couple of homogenized doses in one go.

-

Offlineindividualist
Stranger
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus (moved) [Re: Pandemoon] * 1
    #26675599 - 05/16/20 07:51 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

prepare a tea then freeze it until ready for consumption

--------------------
Question with boldness

InvisibleGrey Fox

Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus (moved) [Re: individualist] * 1
    #26676911 - 05/17/20 01:33 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

individualist said:
prepare a tea then freeze it until ready for consumption

:whathesaid:

I agree with this 100%.  If the tea is a larger amount than would be consumed as one dose, then you can always break the tea up into individual doses in empty plastic water bottles before freezing.  That way you just take one (or as many bottles as needed) out of the freezer and transfer to the fridge a few days before using.  A good thing about this approach is that any sediment in the tea will settle to the bottom of the bottle when the tea defrosts.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus (moved) [Re: Grey Fox]
    #26679184 - 05/18/20 03:19 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the feed back guys.

I have read that using the inner white flesh causes more nausea and should be discarded?

Is there any good "teks" for making a tea? Or extraction?

Thanks again i appreciate the info. Im very new to san pedro but im excited to try it and i have some cacti that are ready for chopping.

:rastafarian:

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus [Re: LittleBoard]
    #26679204 - 05/18/20 03:28 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LittleBoard said:
Is there some part of the cactus you don't need? I have seen some videos and people said different things. Is the stuff in the outer skin or in the middle of the cactus?

I have read that people discard the inner white pulp as it causes nausea like crazy.

But iv also seen videos of traditional Preparation and they seem to use the whole cactus for a long boil.

So im not really sure, i dont want to get stomach issues If it can be avoided, But i dont want to waste actives either.

--------------------

OfflineSpicy
Symbiont

#26680893 - 05/19/20 11:11 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

In traditional preparation I’ve heard once they remove the top foam of the brew which they say is where the epidermis/clear skin is and reduces nausea.

Tea and tar has been gentle on my stomach and I never removed the skin or foam and used the whole plant as well core and all. So I’m not sure. Much more work is needed so please experiment.

I also wish more would try 69ron food safe tek.

--------------------
Everything has beauty, not everyone sees it.
Perfection is subjective!

InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

Loc: 8a
Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus (moved) [Re: Luminous7] * 1
    #26680994 - 05/19/20 12:12 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Luminous7 said:
I have read that using the inner white flesh causes more nausea and should be discarded?

That's not really true-- there's nothing in the lighter flesh that is more prone to cause nausea as long as it's properly filtered out of the end product-- and unless you had a lot of cactus and didn't care about wasting alks, I wouldn't be inclined to lose the alks that are in that flesh. Guesstimates are that up to 30% of the alks are in the white. Why toss that out unless you have good reason?

The best method for tea are the simplest really.
You want to thin slice/dice the cactus so that there's as much surface contact with the water as possible without actually blending it up-- which makes it impossible to strain out the clear juice as effectively.
I recommend no thicker than 1/8" (~2mm) slices.

The reason you cut up the flesh into very thin slices instead of blending it is that it makes extraction effective without making a sludge that's a bitch to filter well. No foam forms during the boil at all, and it still gets all the goods out.
I don't even remove the spines--  not worth the effort to remove to me.

Then just put a little white vinegar in the water to lower PH some (I prefer acetic acid to citrus because it boils off during the cook, where citric like from lemons stays in the brew making it substantially less palatable) and boil as long as you're willing.
I use a large stock pot and don't drain/replace water-- I just use a lot to start and keep topping the liquid while I'm brewing, adding vinegar again at the 12 hour mark to keep up acidity.

I slow boil for 20-24 hours usually. There are others that say it takes only several hours-- and maybe they're right. I go for maximum extraction though so I opt for long simmers.

Then as GF said you drain/strain the liquid into containers (or another pot to condense down to your chosen volume.) The advantage of having solid pieces is that when you're straining it out, you can squeeze the shit out of the plant matter like a sponge against the mesh of the strainer without the pasty sludge getting into the liquid-- i just press a large ladle against the mass so that the liquid runs out fully. You'll be left with nothing but a fist-sized hunk of dense plant flesh once you've wrenched out all the liquid.

It should be a brownish slightly syrupy consistency.
Let the liquid settle for at least a couple days if you want to allow settling out of the bits of flesh that are suspended in the solution-- that step will help you enormously in avoiding nausea, as that slimy particulate matter seems (in my experience) to be a strong contributor to nausea if it's in your drink.

Once it's clarified to your liking, then you're ready to drink. It is great to freeze for long-term storage in this form, and as GF said freezing can help clump the remaining particulates out so when it thaws you can sink more out-- but don't go too crazy worrying about getting it super clear. The majority of your unwanted gunk will settle out with gravity alone over a couple of days max.

I'll also repeat my advice to add very strong light-roasted coffee (up to 50% of your brew volume)-- it not only helps tremendously with the taste, but coffee is symbiotic with cactus brews. It will positively affect the experience (take care if you're unusually sensitive to caffeine though and scale % accordingly)

:cheers:

--------------------
I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination--  John Keats

Spore Trading List

Offlinemongo lloyd
Lone Free Ranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere
Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus (moved) [Re: coAsTal]
    #26681072 - 05/19/20 12:41 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

You should just boof the whole cutting, that's what I do

--------------------

InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus (moved) [Re: mongo lloyd] * 1
    #26681083 - 05/19/20 12:47 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

:howyoudoing:

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26683205 - 05/20/20 12:08 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coAsTal said:
Quote:

Luminous7 said:

That's not really true-- there's nothing in the lighter flesh that is more prone to cause nausea as long as it's properly filtered out of the end product-- and unless you had a lot of cactus and didn't care about wasting alks, I wouldn't be inclined to lose the alks that are in that flesh. Guesstimates are that up to 30% of the alks are in the white. Why toss that out unless you have good reason?

You want to thin slice/dice the cactus so that there's as much surface contact with the water as possible without actually blending it up-- which makes it impossible to strain out the clear juice as effectively.

The reason you cut up the flesh into very thin slices instead of blending it is that it makes extraction effective without making a sludge that's a bitch to filter well. No foam forms during the boil at all, and it still gets all the goods out.

Then just put a little white vinegar in the water to lower PH some (I prefer acetic acid to citrus because it boils off during the cook, where citric like from lemons stays in the brew making it substantially less palatable) and boil as long as you're willing.
I use a large stock pot and don't drain/replace water-- I just use a lot to start and keep topping the liquid while I'm brewing, adding vinegar again at the 12 hour mark to keep up acidity.

I slow boil for 20-24 hours usually. There are others that say it takes only several hours-- and maybe they're right. I go for maximum extraction though so I opt for long simmers.

Then as GF said you drain/strain the liquid into containers (or another pot to condense down to your chosen volume.) The advantage of having solid pieces is that when you're straining it out, you can squeeze the shit out of the plant matter like a sponge against the mesh of the strainer without the pasty sludge getting into the liquid-- i just press a large ladle against the mass so that the liquid runs out fully. You'll be left with nothing but a fist-sized hunk of dense plant flesh once you've wrenched out all the liquid.

Let the liquid settle for at least a couple days if you want to allow settling out of the bits of flesh that are suspended in the solution-- that step will help you enormously in avoiding nausea, as that slimy particulate matter seems (in my experience) to be a strong contributor to nausea if it's in your drink.

Once it's clarified to your liking, then you're ready to drink. It is great to freeze for long-term storage in this form, and as GF said freezing can help clump the remaining particulates out so when it thaws you can sink more out-- but don't go too crazy worrying about getting it super clear. The majority of your unwanted gunk will settle out with gravity alone over a couple of days max.

I'll also repeat my advice to add very strong light-roasted coffee (up to 50% of your brew volume)-- it not only helps tremendously with the taste, but coffee is symbiotic with cactus brews. It will positively affect the experience (take care if you're unusually sensitive to caffeine though and scale % accordingly)

What a write up!  So much great info in there.

OP I used to eat the raw cactus as my primary way of consuming it.  On young tender cuttings I would eat everything except for the spines and clear skin.  On older mature cuttings I would do the same, but the core would usually be too fibrous and woody to eat.  There is nothing about the white flesh that would make me any sicker than the green flesh.  It tastes the same.  Go ahead and use the white flesh, especially if you're making tea or doing an extraction.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineSpicy
Symbiont

#26683463 - 05/20/20 02:16 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I agree lots of good info in there

GreyFox, or anyone else, ever put coffee in?

I don't like coffee or mind the taste of the brew but just curious. I wouldn’t want more liquid to drink either

--------------------
Everything has beauty, not everyone sees it.
Perfection is subjective!

InvisiblecoAsTal
Friend
 User Gallery

Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus (moved) [Re: Spicy]
    #26683530 - 05/20/20 02:55 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

re: the volume-- you can condense/steam reduce a brew down to as little as a half pint of you want to-- it's up to you how much water you remove. Keep in mind the more condensed it is the slimier it gets-- and the taste gets way stronger... so adding a cup of coffee (or whatever) still leaves a very low amount of liquid-- less than a pint. I prefer my final amount to be about a half quart total-- as a taste/volume balance that takes anywhere from 15 to 30 minutes to drink.

But if you don't like coffee, it wouldn't matter either way :wink:

--------------------
I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the Heart's affections and the truth of Imagination--  John Keats

Spore Trading List

OfflineLuminous7

#26689385 - 05/22/20 11:27 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

coAsTal said:
Quote:

Luminous7 said:

Hey thanks so much for all the info man. Much appreciated.

- Do you keep adding more white vinegar when topping the pot up as it cooks?
-When you let the particles setting in the final brew, do you just pour off the top clear brew to save and discard the last tiny bit with the gunk?

- and finally, can i cut into segments, dehydrate cracker dry for storage and use them in a few months in a brew?

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

#26689388 - 05/22/20 11:30 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Grey Fox said:

OP I used to eat the raw cactus as my primary way of consuming it.  On young tender cuttings I would eat everything except for the spines and clear skin.  On older mature cuttings I would do the same, but the core would usually be too fibrous and woody to eat.  There is nothing about the white flesh that would make me any sicker than the green flesh.  It tastes the same.  Go ahead and use the white flesh, especially if you're making tea or doing an extraction.

Awesome thank you

--------------------

OfflineLuminous7

Re: Harvesting / Preparing San pedro cactus (moved) [Re: Luminous7]
    #26689391 - 05/22/20 11:30 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

What about adding cacao?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck