Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinekushrooms
Love ma' Fungi
Male User Gallery

Vomiting after ingesting oyster mushroom
    #19219910 - 12/02/13 10:36 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Hi everybody. I got sick mid week last week, I threw up after I had eaten some chicken and poppers from the grocery store. I had eaten oysters but thought no way it could be my mushrooms. Then today I sautΓ©ed up some mushrooms and put them in a breakfast burrito a couple hours later I'm throwing up again.

I haven't had anyone complain but now I'm worried to eat them or give them to anyone. I thought mushrooms were fairly safe. Could it be something else?

This really is a bummer, physically and mentally. I'd hate to have to worry about getting someone sick. Anyone have any experience with this?

I've eaten my oysters on numerous occasions without incident :/

--------------------
"All are archetects of fate..."

Check out oyster pics :smile: Click Here

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMrcloudy
Stranger than you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast US Flag
Re: Vomiting after ingesting oyster mushroom [Re: kushrooms]
    #19220091 - 12/02/13 11:18 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Did you grow them yourself?

--------------------

10 different Ganoderma species from across the USA

AMU

MrCloudys guide to North American GanodermaUpdated A rough guide to North American Ganoderma species, with an emphasis on the laccate species.

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
    #19220094 - 12/02/13 11:19 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

You could have developed an allergy, or it may just be coincidence.

I'd lean on the side of allergy/sensitivity.  It has happened to me with several foods.  Dairy, bananas, wheat, etc. Have all eventually caused me gastric upset.

I say lay off for a year or two and then try again.

I used to have a sensitivity to Agaricus bisporus, but had no sensitivity to oyster or Shiitake. It went away after about 5 years.

--------------------

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Vomiting after ingesting oyster mushroom [Re: liamtheloser]
    #19220233 - 12/03/13 12:13 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

The body is weird. I don't actually like the taste of conventional oysters other than king oysters personally.
my body seems to get a crook stomach from porcini but not if I drink red wine at the same time. Who knows why... I love porcini!!!

--------------------

Offlinethiotimoline
Stranger
 User Gallery
Loc: Bay Area
    #19220252 - 12/03/13 12:18 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I'd also make sure to cook the crap out of them in the future. Often the compounds people are sensitive to in mushrooms are removed by thorough cooking.

Offlinekushrooms
Love ma' Fungi
Male User Gallery

Re: Vomiting after ingesting oyster mushroom [Re: thiotimoline]
    #19221155 - 12/03/13 09:02 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the replies guys, maybe I didn't cook thorough enough. Do I have anything to worry about giving these mushrooms to someone else? I don't want them getting sick.

My main concern is that I'm doing something wrong or mishandling the oysters in some way that is causing the sickness. I hope it's just me.

I'll try cooking them again more thoroughly.  I have eaten these and others have eaten them with no complaints. Am I right in my thinking that mushrooms are generally safe, as in I can't mishandle them or grow them "wrong" and cause illness?

Thanks again for all your input it is very much appreciated. :smile:

Your queasy friend kushroom :P

--------------------

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
    #19221170 - 12/03/13 09:09 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

If you let them start rotting you can get food poisoning, but I'm assuming you're practicing good hygiene and not eating stinky old mushrooms.

Oysters are safe, and taste delicious, I wouldn't deprive your friends just because you're having a bad reaction to them

--------------------

Offlinekushrooms
Love ma' Fungi
Male User Gallery

#19221385 - 12/03/13 10:09 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

liamtheloser said:
If you let them start rotting you can get food poisoning, but I'm assuming you're practicing good hygiene and not eating stinky old mushrooms.

Oysters are safe, and taste delicious, I wouldn't deprive your friends just because you're having a bad reaction to them

LOL agreed! I have enjoyed them very much, I really hope it was my preparation. The mushrooms were just picked a couple of days ago, I actually threw out some that I could tell were just to far gone (over a week old). I'm fairly careful and try to listen to my body and my senses, I'll do another test on myself at the end of the week with these and make sure and cook them well.

The other part is I don't want to have to explain to someone I got sick off of mushrooms I'm giving them, they may not want to eat them as it sends the wrong message (especially if it's just me). Perhaps I should find a ginipig :wink:

This helps me though, at least it's not "Bad" mushrooms.

--------------------

OfflineRandomFX
protege
Male User Gallery

Loc: North-East, USA Flag
    #19224988 - 12/03/13 11:42 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Maybe try them again but have some benadril handy? I recently got sick after eating raw oysters on the half shell, started itching all over my body, and started turning red. by time I got to the emergency room I was extremely weak, and shaking like I was suffering hypothermia, and then ended up vomiting myself at the checkup desk. But I used to eat a 5 gallon bucket of oysters on the half shell, and I eat smoked oysters all the time
  They gave me some benadril and within minutes I was ok. just regular benadril.

I can't imagine giving up eating mushrooms.

Invisibleteknix
π“‚€βŸπ“…’π“π“…ƒπ“Š°π“‰‘ 𓁼𓆗⨻
 User Gallery

Re: Vomiting after ingesting oyster mushroom [Re: RandomFX]
    #19225151 - 12/04/13 02:04 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Take a swab from a fresh specimen and culture it out.

You'll probably want to use the Nutrient Agar or beef broth.

Edited by teknix (12/04/13 04:59 PM)

Offlinemycoloco
less and less a stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Rogue Valley, OR
    #19226160 - 12/04/13 11:13 AM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I'm wondering about your substrate and supplements. Oysters are effective bio-accumulators. They are used to scavenge the toxins out of waste sites. They are very good at drawing toxins out of their substrate and concentrating the toxins in their fruiting bodies for disposal. Or consumption.

If you have any toxins in your substrate or supplements, they will be much more concentrated in your oysters. Cottonseed meal, for example, is highly toxic, since it comes from a non-food crop and so eludes the toxic limits put on edible plants. Mulch from pesticided plants can be toxic enough that their concentrated form in the oyster could trigger a reaction.

--------------------
The universe is an illusion of the living.

Offlinekushrooms
Love ma' Fungi
Male User Gallery

Re: Vomiting after ingesting oyster mushroom [Re: mycoloco]
    #19227228 - 12/04/13 03:17 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

mycoloco said:
I'm wondering about your substrate and supplements. Oysters are effective bio-accumulators. They are used to scavenge the toxins out of waste sites. They are very good at drawing toxins out of their substrate and concentrating the toxins in their fruiting bodies for disposal. Or consumption.

If you have any toxins in your substrate or supplements, they will be much more concentrated in your oysters. Cottonseed meal, for example, is highly toxic, since it comes from a non-food crop and so eludes the toxic limits put on edible plants. Mulch from pesticided plants can be toxic enough that their concentrated form in the oyster could trigger a reaction.

Thanks for the input, I've grown on straw and wild bird seed the entire time. I haven't had any issues using the same ingredients, this is all from the same batch of stuff. That's something I'll keep in mind.

As far as taking a culture sample, what would that accomplish? Just curious because I would assume there could be some contamination that could grow on the culture from a live tissue sample, as it's not a sterile area.

My mom said she'll saute some up and see if we get sick lol best I can come up with. It sounds like this isn't a common thing so I'm hoping it was just preparation instead of allergy but hopefully that will clear it up.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#19227280 - 12/04/13 03:27 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Are they growing in your house?  Maybe you been getting dosed heavy on the spores and now when you eat them its an overload to your system.  Oysters produce massive amounts of spores and I think they can cause allergic reactions with prolonged exposure.

Offlinelwheidt
the bridgesii guy
 User Gallery

Re: Vomiting after ingesting oyster mushroom [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #19227418 - 12/04/13 03:52 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Overripe and undercooked oysters have made me sick before too. They have a short shelf life. Lots of mushrooms can sit for a long time before being eaten but not oysters.

--------------------
-bridgesii guy

Invisibleteknix
 User Gallery

Re: Vomiting after ingesting oyster mushroom [Re: lwheidt]
    #19227777 - 12/04/13 05:07 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

As far as taking a culture sample, what would that accomplish? Just curious because I would assume there could be some contamination that could grow on the culture from a live tissue sample, as it's not a sterile area.

Well, you would have to identify the organisms that are growing in the plate or broth and determine if they are potentially harmful to humans or not. You would need a scope .

By using bacterial selective agar, you can limit the growth of other things floating around. Sure there will be other organisms floating around there as well, but those aren't making you sick or you would be getting sick from everything you ate.

Honestly, it is probably more work than it's worth in your situation, unless you have a lot of them. It could be a learning experience though.

I'm pretty sure it is pretty much the same way the FDA checks for contams, and it is pretty much the only way I know of that you will be able to tell if it is contaminated with harmful bacteria.

Edited by teknix (12/04/13 05:26 PM)

Invisibleteknix
 User Gallery

Re: Vomiting after ingesting oyster mushroom [Re: teknix]
    #19228381 - 12/04/13 07:34 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I guess you could use these test strips if you wanted something simpler:

http://www.amazon.com/Quick-18-Minute-Bacteria-Test-Strips/dp/B007VCL44G

Offlinekushrooms
Love ma' Fungi
Male User Gallery

Re: Vomiting after ingesting oyster mushroom [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #19228559 - 12/04/13 08:08 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

teknix said:
Quote:

Well, you would have to identify the organisms that are growing in the plate or broth and determine if they are potentially harmful to humans or not. You would need a scope .

By using bacterial selective agar, you can limit the growth of other things floating around. Sure there will be other organisms floating around there as well, but those aren't making you sick or you would be getting sick from everything you ate.

Honestly, it is probably more work than it's worth in your situation, unless you have a lot of them. It could be a learning experience though.

I'm pretty sure it is pretty much the same way the FDA checks for contams, and it is pretty much the only way I know of that you will be able to tell if it is contaminated with harmful bacteria.

Thanks for the info! This is going in my project book, I had no idea I could effectively do that kind of analysis. I'm absolutely into learning new things, I like to be able to do my own analysis. I'm amazed at how knowledge builds on itself, it becomes addictive. I appreciate your thoroughness and explanation.
Quote:

lwheidt said:
Overripe and undercooked oysters have made me sick before too. They have a short shelf life. Lots of mushrooms can sit for a long time before being eaten but not oysters.

Thanks, I'm hoping they were just undercooked as we'll. definitely don't keep them too long before eating.

Quote:

Corporal Kielbasa said:
Are they growing in your house?  Maybe you been getting dosed heavy on the spores and now when you eat them its an overload to your system.  Oysters produce massive amounts of spores and I think they can cause allergic reactions with prolonged exposure.

I'm seriously thinking it maybe allergy, I got really sniffly when tearing down my greenhouse tonight. I put on my mask and it seemed to help so it looks like it could be this.

I need to stop being lazy and price out the hardwood in my area and branch out of oysters, perhaps this is the catalyst. I'm hoping price is comparable per pound of straw, plus I hear I can supplement straw with saw dust.

Thanks again everyone for your input, much luv!

--------------------

Invisibleteknix
 User Gallery

#19229062 - 12/04/13 09:39 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

Yeah, it's pretty easy if you learn a gram stain, gram negative bacterium have a capsule or slime layer and are generally more dangerous.

Offlinepayarra
Stranger
    #26678747 - 05/18/20 11:04 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I had developed a allergy to Oysters after years of eating them. Seems there is a protein that my body reacts to. Found on the web that some people get relief by drinking orange juice. That worked for me and the bloating-vomiting went away after drinking orange juice.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds