Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

Totem animals...
    #2667842 - 05/12/04 10:08 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I think it would be interesting to see what totem animals people have in relation to their personality.Please list your totem animal and your shadow totem animal if you know them.Im curious.

My totem animal is the Raven and my shadow totem animal is the Dog.

Oddly enough I often find ravens in large numbers around my house and they often follow me house to house (IE everytime I move the ravens stop gathering around my old house and ravens start gathering around my new house) which looks quite ominous to alot of people especially look how I do and dressing how I do.

As far as dogs...Im terrified of them....I've been bitten so many times by randoms dogs out of the blue.No bites ever being that serious though.

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: Totem animals... [Re: HypnoToad]
    #2667921 - 05/12/04 10:55 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

where would we find a place that did this kind of thing? where did you find out your totem animal was such...

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

Re: Totem animals... [Re: kaiowas]
    #2667933 - 05/12/04 11:03 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Totem animals are commonly found through meditations of various sorts, with or without the influence of psychedelic substances. One such meditation follows.

Relax, close your eyes, and breath slowly from the stomach, first clearing your mind of thoughts. Then imagine that you are going down, through a hole in the ground with a light at the far end. Go into the light and slowly look around. Look for animals. Any animal you see three times try talking to. This creature is is probably your totem animal.

Some people find their totem animal by pulling a card from a deck of cards portaying totemic animals (such as the shamanic Medicine Cards or a deck of celtic animal cards).

If you frequently dream about a certain animal, it might well be your totem.

Some people find their totem to be an animal they frequntly encounter. For example if you have a friendly spider who is always about your home, you might find Spider to be your totem.

Also you might have a particular affinity with a certain animal.

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#2667949 - 05/12/04 11:09 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

sweeeet

I pulled up a dolphin..I love those animals!

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

#2667960 - 05/12/04 11:16 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Dolphin is likely to be your totem.

DOLPHIN (Purity). The Dolphin has many lessons for us to learn. They include purity, lightness of being, communication, love, intelligence and spiritual attainments

--------------------

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

#2667964 - 05/12/04 11:17 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

For me it says:

RAVEN Raven, very wise, teaches people spirituality, intelligence, community, duality and balance.

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

#2667970 - 05/12/04 11:22 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

and the shadow totem?

--------------------

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2668012 - 05/12/04 11:51 AM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"Oddly enough I often find ravens in large numbers around my house and they often follow me house to house"

hahahaha you silly goose

ravens are solitary birds. You're thinking of CROWS, those are CROWS following you. Crows are the blackbirds that hang out in large groups. They follow me around too. They have this territorial thing going on, in my experience they'll protect their nest in pairs by flying behind you, landing, and squawking. Ravens, depending on geographic location, of course, are larger, solitary for the most part, and they have these tufts on the back of their heads that look almost like fur. Very very different birds.

As far as dogs...Im terrified of them....I've been bitten so many times by randoms dogs out of the blue.

that's because you are SKETCHY. Dogs know when people go around making silly claims on the internet, and they like to bite sketchy people. Seriously, be a little less shifty and you'll find dogs won't bite you.

Why do we live in an age when people know more about the characteristics of totem animals than the do real animals. Let this post remain stickied here forever as a testament to mankind's alienation from the natural world.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Re: Totem animals... [Re: Mixomatosis]
    #2668072 - 05/12/04 12:22 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

:lol:

damn  mixo...your cynical humor is fuckin great. 

now that your tirade is over, what's your totem animal?  :grin:

--------------------

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

#2668141 - 05/12/04 12:48 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

I did find my animal once but for some reason i don't want to name it- I don't think you can find it by just picking a card out of a deck though...but who knows. for me it was weird...i was tripping, not looking for it, but it just- BAM came to me- so thoroughly- and it made so much sense- and i've just known it ever since....I don't think I ever told anyone though. Mixo- (and no offense, hypnotoad-it's all good) you are so funny- I am still chuckling at your comments.

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Anonymous

#2668227 - 05/12/04 01:08 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Post History Deleted Upon User's Request

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

#2668262 - 05/12/04 01:17 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

"and the shadow totem? "

Dog: Loyalty, friendship, nobility

--------------------

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

#2668290 - 05/12/04 01:26 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Mixo, I know the difference between a crow and a raven.I'm not so dumb as to think a crow is a raven or vice versa.Thy're unmistakeably indentifiable.In my area there are both crows and ravens and while I see crows from time to time I always see ravens in my yard.I never said they flocked together.I merely stated they gathered around my house.And they follow me house to house as in everytime I move into a new house shortly after ravens will gather like at the previous house I lived at.

I'm not sketchy nor shifty.I could really care less whether anyone believes me or not.I was simply stating my personal experience I never asked anyone to believe or not believe in it.

"Why do we live in an age when people know more about the characteristics of totem animals than the do real animals. Let this post remain stickied here forever as a testament to mankind's alienation from the natural world. "

I know many things.I know about animals and totem animals both but I know more about the animals in the wild than I do the totems.

--------------------

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #2668545 - 05/12/04 03:00 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It would probably be a harp seal. What bit of wisdom surrounds that animal?

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

Re: Totem animals... [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #2668626 - 05/12/04 03:19 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Seal: Imagination, Creativity, Dreaming

--------------------

InvisibleDelyrium
lemonadeh.o.n.e.y.

Loc: vermont
    #2668865 - 05/12/04 03:59 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

this is interesting but is this the real animal totem meanings? i just feel that something so sacred can't really be found and given a simple explaination over the internet.

i'm not educated on this matter at all. so excuse me if i'm totally wrong.

i have a very odd connection with all animals. i could never say there is a specific one that i can relate to. or who would be my totem animal.

i do know however, anything i am out in the wild, i attract animals. constantly! im not looking for them - trust me. i have complete respect for nature. but i fear their superior intelligence over me when i am vunerable (such as hiking and back country camping).

i always hear from people that when they go hiking with me - they see animals come out that they have never seen before. ... no i don't think i'm snow white. :smile:

--------------------
Fuck Ted Nugent he?s a fucking jerk
I wish that he?d be gone
Chauvanistic republican
Kills animals cause he
Forgot how to write a song

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2669129 - 05/12/04 05:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, maybe you know the difference between a raven and a crow, and maybe they do congregate outside your house wherever you live. I personally have not seen a congregation of ravens before, but my roommate told me that in Jasper he used to see groups of about 20 ravens hanging outside the resort he worked in. Of course, they were there because of the big dumpster outside where they would go after all the garbage.

So lemme ask you this: Exactly how clean are you and the places you inhabit? Does a big pile of garbage follow you around from house to house as well? This could explain the presence of ravens and it could also point us toward an explanation for your being bit by dogs. Do you perhaps.. smell like dog food?

Toad, though I find your tales of wizardry funny, I apologize for misdirecting this post. To get us back on track, allow me to provide this philosophical question:

If you aren't there to not see them, does it mean the ravens aren't there?

Basically, how do you know that you are the only one with ravens congregating outside your house? Maybe the ravens (ahem assuming they aren't crows) are all over your town, and everybody has them outside their houses. Maybe if Joe Blow down the street pulled a raven out of a deck of cards he'd look out his window and think "Gee, now that you mention it, there ARE a lot of ravens following me around." And then maybe his next thought would be "Or maybe the ravens are just gathering around my house because of the smell given off by my fledgling home-based business of selling dog food-scented soap." And then not for the first time mr. Blow might consider clsoing down his soap business. After all, his only customer is that self-described "Ominous-looking" but "not shifty" kid with a pack of ravens (or crows) following him around getting bit by dogs.

But I digress

"now that your tirade is over, what's your totem animal?"
The ant. That's right, the ant. I pulled that one outside of any ritual using a deck of cards when I was around ten years old. Predictably enough, I don't put much stock into it and here's why:

In man's timeless quest to know himself he uses tooooooools, say it with me, tooooools. The only way to see yourself is with a mirror right? Or a pond, I guess, but preferably not a really dirty garbage-filled one (if you are looking for a clean pond, steer away from large groups of ravens (or crows) as they are generally an indication of poor hygenic practiceces ie: washing your body with pet food-scented soap products) Anyway, the most effective method to understand your own personality or your direction in life or the purpose of your life is to use a method that involves reflection. My method of choice is the I Ching. I use it by getting a hexagram and then reading the passage. Of course, the passage is very vague (as are the descriptions of totem animals) this allows me to fill in the blanks, to use it to reflect my true self back to me.

In the case of the totem animals, the seeker pulls out a card, and reads the description. Immediately the seeker relates to the passage and uses it as a door through which to access his true self. The animal's atributes from the foundation of the framework within which the seeker paints a pitchure of himself and he understands himself a little bit better. A year later he goes over the passage and gets something new out of it because he's changes so the writing reflects a different person back.

That's how this stuff works. It's appealing because a person gains insight into himself and feels like a character in a fantasy novel with a magical connection to some kind of animal spirit. With things like totem animals you get out what you put into them. To me, it's not a good system because it's a little new-agey, isn't based on "seeking the real" hasn't stood the test of time. Not that the traditions of spirit animal guides hasn't, I mean that the format of reading it in a book is more a marketing ploy to me than anything else.. it's trendy and appeals to the wanna-be urban white shaman new age wizard sorcerer wiccan earth goddess. I'll stick with my methods, even if they are, you know, millenia-old and part of a living tradition and not so glossed-up.

OfflineJacquesCousteau
Being.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Everywhere, Everytime.
    #2669365 - 05/12/04 05:53 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

It's a good thing you uh, shit all over this friendly fellow here..

Good thing we have people like you to keep people like him in line.  :rolleyes:

--

Let me just make one thing clear:

Whether you agree or disagree with a poster's opinions, you still do not earn the right to personally slander and degrade someone.

You've taken vague non-conclusive comments about ravens gathering around his house, and skewed it into an on-going tirade about how bad his B.O. is? I mean, I would even let the first comment go, because it truly is a possibility that this is the reason the ravens gather around his house. However, repeatedly bringing up the same concept (WITHOUT confirmatory information from his side) just to further belittle your fellow poster is really weak. This kind of behavior gets you labeled "fuckin' wank" in my book. But you probably don't care about MY opinion.. cough.

Grow up, dude. Belittling others is not justified by the laughs and attention you get out of it.

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
Re: Totem animals... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2669412 - 05/12/04 06:05 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

i have an affinity for contracting the crabs! they are my totem animal

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

OfflinePhishgrrl
Walking in thetall trees...
 User Gallery

Re: Totem animals... [Re: JacquesCousteau]
    #2669638 - 05/12/04 06:54 PM (12 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

JacquesCousteau said:
It's a good thing you uh, shit all over this friendly fellow here..

Good thing we have people like you to keep people like him in line.  :rolleyes:

Grow up, dude. Belittling others is not justified by the laughs and attention you get out of it.

I agree- there is definitely a line that was crossed- tongue in cheek is one thing but slander is another- have a little respect.

--------------------
Once in awhile you can get shown the light

In the strangest of places if you look at it right...

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology