Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineimachavel
I loved and lost but I loved-ftw
Male User Gallery

Loc: You get banned for saying that Flag
Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant
    #26674502 - 05/16/20 10:07 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2020/05/14/access-your-browsing-history/amp/

I could have copied and pasted the article. But the question I have is not answered in the article. The article does explain what they are voting on. What I do not understand is how this is even possible? How can this even be allowed to be voted on? It should not be legal and therefore should not be allowed to be voted on.

Anyone have a good explanation?

"The US Senate yesterday voted – by a single vote – to allow government agencies like the FBI and CIA to access your browsing history without a warrant.

This means they would not need to show probable cause for believing you have committed a crime before requiring your ISP to hand over its records on your web browsing and search histories …

The Senate is being asked to reauthorize the Patriot Act, which gives government agencies powers to carry out mass electronic surveillance of US citizens. Three amendments were put forward, one of which would have prevented accessing web browsing history without a warrant.

Engadget reports that the privacy amendment came up one vote short, and therefore failed.

The ACLU urged Congress members to add three specific amendments that would limit it if they reauthorize its powers.

One, from Senators Steve Daines and Ron Wyden would have prohibited the warrantless collection of search or browser histories. Senators voted on that Wednesday afternoon, but it failed to pass, coming one yes vote short of the required 60, with several senators including Ben Sasse and Bernie Sanders not voting.

A Politico reporter noted that, according to an aide, Washington senator Patty Murray would have voted yes, but was still flying back to D.C. when the votes were cast.

Use of a VPN provides protection against this kind of surveillance, as it means your ISP would have no way to know which websites you visited.

There was some good news: a second amendment did pass, which allows judges ruling on Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) requests to seek input from independent experts.

The amendment senators did pass, by a 77-19 margin, was introduced by Patrick Leahy (D, Vermont) and Mike Lee (R, Utah). As described by the ACLU, it “strengthens the role of independent “friends of the court” to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, ensuring that the court has additional opportunities to hear the views of outside experts.”

In an op-ed published Sunday seeking support for the measures, the senators said “The key to our proposal is to substantially strengthen a program that currently allows FISA judges, in very limited circumstances, to appoint outside legal scholars — called “amici”— to independently analyze FBI surveillance requests that are particularly sensitive…We propose measures that would authorize and actively encourage judges in this secret court to seek independent amicus reviews in all sensitive cases — such as those involving significant First Amendment issues — thereby adding a layer of protection for those who will likely never know they have been targeted for secret surveillance.”

A third amendment, requiring warrants to carry out FISA searches on US citizens, is due to be voted on today."

Time to get that VPN

--------------------
:kingcrankey: I did not say to edit my signature soulidarity! Now forever I will never remember what I said about understanding the secrets of the universe by paying attention to subtleties!

:facepalm: I'm never giving you the password again. Jerk

Edited by imachavel (05/16/20 10:14 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleThe Blind Ass
Bodhi
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: The Primordial Mind
Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: imachavel] * 2
    #26674553 - 05/16/20 10:40 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

The potential to misuse and abuse this power is going to be too tempting for some, sounds like a great way to control the political arena and more with an iron grip.

Now I really wanna see all our politicians internet searches and browsing histories, emails, and text msgs.

I wonder who  to pay to see that data

--------------------
Give me Liberty caps -or- give me Death caps

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: The Blind Ass] * 3
    #26674573 - 05/16/20 10:51 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Perhaps at some point folks will stop believing Democrats are the good guys when they tell us Trump is the most dangerous president ever while giving him unprecedented warrantless wiretapping powers, an unprecedented military budget, and co-signing coups in Venezuela and Bolivia.

Perhaps.

Even now, Joe Biden is running ads claiming Trump is too soft on China. Seriously? The Democrats are literally campaigning to the right of Donald “let’s maybe nuke North Korea and drone strike family members” Trump on foreign policy. Absolutely breathtaking people still think the Dems are doves.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: imachavel] * 1
    #26674670 - 05/16/20 11:37 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Enlil seems to think this doesn't run afoul of the 4th amendment, so I guess it's ok.  :shrug:

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03] * 1
    #26675019 - 05/16/20 02:38 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I haven't read the actual text, so I don't know if it does.  From what I have read, it doesn't allow access to content.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlinemeltdowner
Total Noob
Male

Loc: New York City
Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: imachavel] * 1
    #26677134 - 05/17/20 03:41 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

imachavel said:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2020/05/14/access-your-browsing-history/amp/

I could have copied and pasted the article. But the question I have is not answered in the article. The article does explain what they are voting on. What I do not understand is how this is even possible? How can this even be allowed to be voted on? It should not be legal and therefore should not be allowed to be voted on.

Anyone have a good explanation?

"The US Senate yesterday voted – by a single vote – to allow government agencies like the FBI and CIA to access your browsing history without a warrant.

This means they would not need to show probable cause for believing you have committed a crime before requiring your ISP to hand over its records on your web browsing and search histories …

The Senate is being asked to reauthorize the Patriot Act, which gives government agencies powers to carry out mass electronic surveillance of US citizens. Three amendments were put forward, one of which would have prevented accessing web browsing history without a warrant.

Engadget reports that the privacy amendment came up one vote short, and therefore failed.

The ACLU urged Congress members to add three specific amendments that would limit it if they reauthorize its powers.

One, from Senators Steve Daines and Ron Wyden would have prohibited the warrantless collection of search or browser histories. Senators voted on that Wednesday afternoon, but it failed to pass, coming one yes vote short of the required 60, with several senators including Ben Sasse and Bernie Sanders not voting.

A Politico reporter noted that, according to an aide, Washington senator Patty Murray would have voted yes, but was still flying back to D.C. when the votes were cast.

Use of a VPN provides protection against this kind of surveillance, as it means your ISP would have no way to know which websites you visited.

There was some good news: a second amendment did pass, which allows judges ruling on Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) requests to seek input from independent experts.

The amendment senators did pass, by a 77-19 margin, was introduced by Patrick Leahy (D, Vermont) and Mike Lee (R, Utah). As described by the ACLU, it “strengthens the role of independent “friends of the court” to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court, ensuring that the court has additional opportunities to hear the views of outside experts.”

In an op-ed published Sunday seeking support for the measures, the senators said “The key to our proposal is to substantially strengthen a program that currently allows FISA judges, in very limited circumstances, to appoint outside legal scholars — called “amici”— to independently analyze FBI surveillance requests that are particularly sensitive…We propose measures that would authorize and actively encourage judges in this secret court to seek independent amicus reviews in all sensitive cases — such as those involving significant First Amendment issues — thereby adding a layer of protection for those who will likely never know they have been targeted for secret surveillance.”

A third amendment, requiring warrants to carry out FISA searches on US citizens, is due to be voted on today."

Time to get that VPN

I will need to read the actual text like Enlil says before I make any opinions.  These writers(fake news) love to twist words in order to further their political agendas.

--------------------
I'm a Lightweight.  I like to eat like two caps at a time.

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #26848937 - 07/27/20 10:33 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Perhaps at some point folks will stop believing Democrats are the good guys while co-signing coups in Venezuela and Bolivia.

Did anyone catch this tweet from Elon Musk?

Is he admitting he supported the coup, or perhaps was behind it?

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #26848971 - 07/27/20 10:59 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

He’s talking about the US

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: koods]
    #26849093 - 07/28/20 12:39 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Who else?

--------------------

InvisibleR.I.P.Zappa
Myco Melyco

Loc: In Between Space and Time Flag
Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: Falcon91Wolvrn03]
    #26849515 - 07/28/20 09:02 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

This was a quote of his I wrote down during an interview when the whole Australia fiasco with him was going on if I remember correctly.
It hit close to home so I rewound the vid and wrote it down word for word when asked -paraphrase- "what drives him to do what he does." -End paraphase-

Then again we often become the products of our environment. I guess actions will speak louder than words as it unfolds. :justdontknow:

"I'm not trying to be anyone's savior, I'm just trying to think about the future and not be sad" -Elon musk-

--------------------
-The heaviest thing one will ever carry is a thought-
-"Like a Blind man In an orgy you gotta feel things out.".-
-When we agree about our hallucinations, we call it “reality".-
-If you defy authority because your told to, that's no better than blindly trusting authority.-

psychonautwiki.org

How it should & shouldn't look - NEW CULTIVATORS GUIDE
BOD's Easy AF OAT prep tek.
Principles of mushroom growing for beginners

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
    #26849581 - 07/28/20 09:42 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Falcon91Wolvrn03 said:
Who else?

He’s responding to “the US organizing a coup...”

If you want to believe that he’s talking about anyone else you’re going to do it, but it’s very clear who he was referring to.

--------------------
NotSheekle said
“if I believed she was 16 I would become unattracted to her”

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: koods] * 3
    #26852030 - 07/29/20 02:41 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

What a difficult time it must be for conservatives, somehow trying to reconcile their demands for protestors to move to another country with their hardline views on immigration, or American exceptionalism with our utter failure with Covid on the world stage and the bourgeoisie openly admitting our military can and should just be imperialist whenever we want.

They’ll probably just double down on Q Anon and the “virus is fake” talk.

But I wonder where liberals go from here. The DNC platform is laughable. If Biden does indeed get elected, he’s farther right than Clinton. Hell he might be farther right than McCain. Refuse to even entertain the idea of universal healthcare during a global plague, refuse to support marijuana legalization despite like 90% of Dem voters supporting it (in the midst of a global protest movement about criminal justice reform and institutional racism). It’s pathetic.

--------------------

Offlineqman
Stranger

Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: The Ecstatic]
    #26852644 - 07/29/20 09:05 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
What a difficult time it must be for conservatives, somehow trying to reconcile their demands for protestors to move to another country with their hardline views on immigration, or American exceptionalism with our utter failure with Covid on the world stage and the bourgeoisie openly admitting our military can and should just be imperialist whenever we want.

They’ll probably just double down on Q Anon and the “virus is fake” talk.

But I wonder where liberals go from here. The DNC platform is laughable. If Biden does indeed get elected, he’s farther right than Clinton. Hell he might be farther right than McCain. Refuse to even entertain the idea of universal healthcare during a global plague, refuse to support marijuana legalization despite like 90% of Dem voters supporting it (in the midst of a global protest movement about criminal justice reform and institutional racism). It’s pathetic.

The disappointed Biden is likely to create will cause more social unrest than the disappointed created by Trump.

Trust my words, Trump will be the happiest man on election night.

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: qman]
    #26853137 - 07/30/20 08:37 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

I wouldn’t underestimate the degree to which the media acting like things are smooth sailing will pacify people.

If you don’t believe me just ask a liberal what policies they want Biden to reverse. It’s not about what Trump has done, it’s about his affect. As far as half the Democratic Party is concerned, our work ends on election night. We will safely rest confident in Biden’s stewardship over our wounded democracy. Just watch.

--------------------

InvisibleEnlilMDiscord
OTD God-King
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Uncanny Valley
Re: Senate votes to allow FBI to look at your browsing history without a warrant [Re: The Ecstatic] * 1
    #26853140 - 07/30/20 08:44 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

His affect is not an insignificant issue, though.  At least half of the problem with Trump is the way he's degraded the presidency and the nation's reputation.  This will have long term negative effects on our country.  It'll be decades before we live down electing Trump.

--------------------
Censoring opposing views since 2014.

Ask an Attorney

Fuck the Amish

Offlineqman
Stranger

#26853224 - 07/30/20 09:51 AM (3 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
I wouldn’t underestimate the degree to which the media acting like things are smooth sailing will pacify people.

If you don’t believe me just ask a liberal what policies they want Biden to reverse. It’s not about what Trump has done, it’s about his affect. As far as half the Democratic Party is concerned, our work ends on election night. We will safely rest confident in Biden’s stewardship over our wounded democracy. Just watch.

I just think the Trump haters will have this expectation that the world will a better place without him. There's a lot of Trump haters that are looking for relief and Biden isn't going to provide it.

I agree that the MSM will present to the US population that everything is better now without the horrible Trump in office, but that still doesn't change anything at all. If Biden in office calms the Trump haters and stops the social unrest, then they deserve him.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder