Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineMuteUSO
Stranger
Pressure cookers in Europe - what are you using?
    #26672114 - 05/15/20 07:40 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Hey,

I am from Europe (Sweden) and as you all know it is not so easy to find good pressure cookers over here. Importing the American ones which are usually suggested like Prosto or AA is not an option for everyone as shipping can get really expensive including import fees etc.

However, I thought there must be some European ones around. And maybe it would be good to have a thread where people share what brands/models (available in Europe) have worked for them reliably.

Some brands/models I heard of are the
-Prestige High Dome 6l. Small, but at least it goes to 15psi.
-Hawkins Big boy

Would be great if people could share their experiences!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: Pressure cookers in Europe - what are you using? [Re: MuteUSO]
    #26672178 - 05/15/20 08:30 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I'm also searching for a PC for Europe.

I found this thread. Might help:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26503695#26503695

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
Quote:

Josex said:
Quote:

Tiamo said:
Thanks for the help guys! Didn't realise PCs in EU sucked so bad. Looks like I have to import a PC. :thumbdown: Boatloads of money, but will be worth it. Gonna start saving up now, I can't wait to work on agar. Gonna do a few more runs of PF tek first to get the gist of all this tho.

This is gonna be fucking long, but it's something that I've experienced myself and I've been kinda looking forward to an opportunity to vent...

Definitely, PC's in Europe suck big time, no matter where you look. They tend to be very small and if you want something bigger it can cost you an arm and a leg, and still they aren't able to reach pressures beyond 8 psi in most cases.

The popularity of home canning in the US was what led to the manufacturing of pressure cooker/canners (AA, Mirro, Presto...) which happen to be perfect for mycology uses.
Home canning is not popular at all in Europe, so it wouldn't be profitable to manufacture them here only to satisfy a marginal demand. PC's in Europe are meant for cooking only :thumbdown:

Currently, pressure cooker/canner style PC's and sterilizers don't comply with EU regulations and safety standars (ludicrous I know), so EU imposed a trade embargo on these items. In layman's terms, pressure cooker/canners are prohibited in Europe.

As said, this trade embargo also applies to AA sterilizers, but with these you'd also need to produce a series of permits and a medical license in order to import it, so just forget about those.

I didn't know all this two months ago, so I ordered an AA sterilizer from Fungi Perfecti (paid via PayPal) and this is the last email they sent me after a long period of anxiety, uncertainty and lots of emails and calls. Take a look and don't be the next sucker.

"In accordance with our policy, we will not be able to refund you any part of the costs associated with this order".
So they refused to refund a single dollar of the 682 USD I paid. I could speak volumes about how shady and dishonest Fungi Perfecti was about this whole issue, but I will keep that to myself.

It was crazy... thankfully I paid with PayPal and resorted to the customer protection, even though I had little hope I could ever get my money back. I phoned PayPal about this and they told me that in these cases they could not do anything, because I needed to produce some permits to release the sterilizer from Customs, which I didn't possess. I was already resigned to the worst... I was gonna lose 647 euros (682 USD) and my dream to grow like a fucker shattered to pieces in that instant, I was gonna quit everything and never look back.

By some miracle, the next day I received an email from PayPal telling me that the final decision had been made and that they had ruled in my favor. I got a fucking full refund baby! Karma's a bitch Fungi, karma's a bitch...:shrug:

I must admit, I was fucking obsessed with owning an AA sterilizer or at least an AA PC but in light of the above I had to suck it up and start looking for shitty European PC's and THIS is the best I could find on ebay (ridiculously expensive) and I was gonna buy that fucking shit but paypal didn't allow me to complete the transaction for some weird reason, so I couldn't. The nerd in me took this a a sign and I stopped the search for shitty EU pc's.

Now, with all this shit, is it even possible to acquire an AA PC (or even Presto o Mirro) if you live in Europe? Fuck yeah baby :hehehe:

One night I decided to sit and meditate a bit, all relaxed and peacful and I had an insgiht, a very mundane revelation actually. I was very new to ebay but I kept seeing this thing all over the place buy I hadn't paid much attention to it:

Somehow, and without knowing why, I knew that'll allow me to fucking buy my AA PC. I researched a bit about the "International Priority Shipping" on ebay and found out that it is carried out by Pitney Bowes. Upon further research I learned that these guys are like the mafia of the shipping business and they can pretty much send a parcel to whatever country they wish, regardless of the import restrictions associated with a particular item.

These guys have Customs agents all over the globe if any issue should arise.
They change the harmonized code of a restricted item if necessary to pass through Customs. Plus, any item on Ebay that has "International Priority Shipping" has very cheap shipping costs and you pay a reasonable price beforehand for import duties and fees.

Long story short!? I was able to buy this beast, 941 PC, my preciousss...

--------------------
"What stands in the way becomes the way."

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure cookers in Europe - what are you using? [Re: goatchild]
    #26672210 - 05/15/20 08:43 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Do you guys have instant pots there??

Those are for food instead of canning maybe they’re more popular.

That stuff about needing permits for a pc because of safety regulations is insane.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: Pressure cookers in Europe - what are you using? [Re: A.k.a]
    #26672250 - 05/15/20 09:05 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

In my country those Instant Pots are for sale.

But I don't know if they're good for mycology.

From their website:

Quote:

"Does Instant Pot have the same 15 psi max working pressure as common stove-top pressure cookers?
Yes! It’s 15.23psi.
Does Instant Pot cook your food constantly at 15psi?
No, it’s in the range of 10.15~11.6 psi.

https://instantpot.com/which-electric-pressure-cooker-operates-at-15psi/

--------------------

Offlineredhandmat
Dude

#26672281 - 05/15/20 09:25 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

For Sweden I would I know that CDON.se have some for sale. Otherwise double check on pricerunner to see what prices are available for swedish customers. They are not big like the ones our American colleagues have, but they work. You have everything from  super small 4l to 10l They reach slightly under 15 psi actually, like 13-14. you can always pressure cook for a little bit more time to be sure.

I forgot to add that I bought a tefal pressure cooker that had good security and was about 6l so a tad small, you can only PC like two grain jars at a time but for me its fine :smile:

Edited by redhandmat (05/15/20 09:33 AM)

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Pressure cookers in Europe - what are you using? [Re: redhandmat]
    #26672300 - 05/15/20 09:35 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I used a farberware instant pot for a long time no problem. It only did one quart at a time though.

Mine has only presets so I had to read the manual to find out which ones went to 15psi.

I used the chicken setting and ran it for two hours.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Offlineredhandmat
Dude

#26672302 - 05/15/20 09:38 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

#26672318 - 05/15/20 09:47 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I'm considering if I should get this one or not:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233457348861

--------------------

InvisibleSmartattack
C'mon man
 User Gallery

Loc: A thought
Trusted Cultivator
    #26672334 - 05/15/20 09:58 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

What happened to them being like $70. Now a $170?

F that.

--------------------
* Smarts videos :teacher:
* :thumbup: Planet of the APES:thumbup:

I'm a fungal white supremacist.

OfflineCosmicInterlude
Stranger
    #26672338 - 05/15/20 09:58 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I've just ordered one of these myself, think i'ts the silver standard PC in comparison to an all american one.

Either way i'ts highly rated in here so I'm excited and dont think you would have any problems as opposed to some of the european ones.

Quote:

Smartattack said:
What happened to them being like $70. Now a $170?

F that.

Covid Canners :thumbdown:

Edited by CosmicInterlude (05/15/20 09:59 AM)

OfflineMH5109
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: America Flag
Re: Pressure cookers in Europe - what are you using? [Re: CosmicInterlude]
    #26672354 - 05/15/20 10:06 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Jesus christ, 170$ for a presto, I'm glad I bought 3 of them on black Friday. They were 55$ back then, wtf happened.

--------------------

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: Pressure cookers in Europe - what are you using? [Re: Smartattack]
    #26672356 - 05/15/20 10:07 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

You guys think the price went up recently because of this crisis shit? Should I wait a couple months? Maybe it was $70 like 10 years ago no?
I'm a noob just got here so have no idea of recent prices.

It's $108.99 on their website but they don't ship to Europe:
https://www.gopresto.com/product/presto-23-quart-pressure-canner-01781

--------------------

Edited by goatchild (05/15/20 10:08 AM)

OfflinePMBastian
Stranger

Loc: Europe
Re: Pressure cookers in Europe - what are you using? [Re: CosmicInterlude]
    #26672363 - 05/15/20 10:10 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I've got a Tefal, 12L I think. Doesn't have a pressure gage but as stated earlier in the thread it reaches 13 psi or something. I cook my grain for a tad longer, and it seems to work just fine. Would be great with something bigger tho, can only fit max 1.5 kg grains in there. I think in volume it's about 8 L grains.

OfflineMuteUSO
Stranger
    #26672366 - 05/15/20 10:12 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

What do you guys think about this thing? As I understand that is more an autoclave thing, right?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/283868373972

Offlineredhandmat
Dude

#26672374 - 05/15/20 10:15 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MuteUSO said:
What do you guys think about this thing? As I understand that is more an autoclave thing, right?

Working Pressure: 0.14-0.16MPa

So that's between 20-23 Psi. No idea if its overkill for agar and grain, but as far as I know that wouldn't be an issue at all. could probably PC for shorter periods even.

Invisiblegoatchild
mr noob

Re: Pressure cookers in Europe - what are you using? [Re: PMBastian]
    #26672377 - 05/15/20 10:17 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PMBastian said:
I've got a Tefal, 12L I think. Doesn't have a pressure gage but as stated earlier in the thread it reaches 13 psi or something. I cook my grain for a tad longer, and it seems to work just fine. Would be great with something bigger tho, can only fit max 1.5 kg grains in there. I think in volume it's about 8 L grains.

This one?
https://loja.celar.pt/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/PPR-alum%C3%ADnio-Atual.jpg

If so how many quart jars can you fit there? 7-8?

--------------------

OfflineMuteUSO
Stranger
    #26672407 - 05/15/20 10:36 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

redhandmat said:
Quote:

MuteUSO said:

Working Pressure: 0.14-0.16MPa

So that's between 20-23 Psi. No idea if its overkill for agar and grain, but as far as I know that wouldn't be an issue at all. could probably PC for shorter periods even.

Ah, nice, thanks for the remark - I didnt even see that. Somehow assumed that you can adjust pressure because of the gauge range, which goes lower.

But yeah, would be great to know whether the higher pressure is a problem or not.

Edited by MuteUSO (05/15/20 10:37 AM)

OfflineSenku
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#26672614 - 05/15/20 12:55 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RNH7PQ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm from estland and I ordered this mirro 22 quart month ago from amazon and total price with customs was 1517sek. It holds 14 720ml jars witch is nice.. :mushroom2:

And it took like 4 or 5 days to arrive witch was a big surprise.

--------------------

Edited by Senku (05/15/20 12:56 PM)

Offlinepoisoned
untitled
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Yurop
Re: Pressure cookers in Europe - what are you using? [Re: Senku]
    #26672668 - 05/15/20 01:31 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I got presto from ebay 2 months ago for 150€, shipping and taxes included. A month before that, it was 120€.

Those smaller pressure cookers work, but I found it very hard to work with such a small volume. Nutella jars was what worked best for me. They have PP lids, so they are autoclavable.

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

Edited by poisoned (05/15/20 01:33 PM)

OfflinePMBastian
Stranger

Loc: Europe
    #26672808 - 05/15/20 02:56 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

goatchild said:
Quote:

PMBastian said:

This one?
https://loja.celar.pt/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/PPR-alum%C3%ADnio-Atual.jpg

If so how many quart jars can you fit there? 7-8?

No, This one. 8 L it turns out.
Pic

Don't have the regular quart jars everyone uses, i use bags, but i would guess 6 quart jars at the most.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order