Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineNightPuma1
Stranger
 User Gallery
How much growth do you actually need on an agar plate before transferring to grain?
    #26671051 - 05/14/20 06:55 PM (9 months, 19 days ago)

Since the point of agar is to ensure that you have clean grain, do you just have to wait until you can tell that there is no contamination or should you wait until there is a lot of growth on the plate?

Thanks.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OnlineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Re: How much growth do you actually need on an agar plate before transferring to grain? [Re: NightPuma1]
    #26671090 - 05/14/20 07:19 PM (9 months, 19 days ago)

You want to transfer a few times to get clean growth, but you can also transfer sectors and let that grow out so your transferring organized growth. This will ensure more of the same genetic material in the jar. But as always with MS agar you can transfer 10000 times and still not get a true isolate, and even when you do it could end up being a poor fruiter or small shrooms or a ton of different variables.

So I like to run a T1 and T2 plate from the same MS transfer and then go about 4-6 times until I see healthy genetics. Them I will go to jars and grow it out to test the culture.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy | UFOs | 2021
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: How much growth do you actually need on an agar plate before transferring to grain? [Re: NightPuma1]
    #26671147 - 05/14/20 07:47 PM (9 months, 19 days ago)

Quote:

NightPuma1 said:
Since the point of agar is to ensure that you have clean grain, do you just have to wait until you can tell that there is no contamination or should you wait until there is a lot of growth on the plate?

Thanks.

The point of agar is to ensure clean mycelium to put on grain. Its best to colonize a plate with clean mycelium so u can transfer all of it to grain or other agar plates. That would be the most efficient/cost effective way.

--------------------
"Conscious contains the ideas, the thoughts, the building blocks behind every reality. Sentience, on the other hand, is the creative force that animates reality and experiences all possible emotions and sensations within them. Consciousness creates reality, sentience experiences reality. Together, consciousness and sentience create the totality of Creation." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms | Trippy Gematrix | Dj Teknological at BandLab.com | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || Remember George Floyd (END THE POLICE STATE!) ||                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017:: Aug 19th to 21st :: Pure Paradise. :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:  :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | Water-Bath Cacti Tea:bongload::cacti: 

OfflineNightPuma1
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: How much growth do you actually need on an agar plate before transferring to grain? [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26671219 - 05/14/20 08:38 PM (9 months, 19 days ago)

Yes but I'm asking how much growth do you need on your final dish before you transfer it to grain?

Just enough to make sure it is clean or should you let the whole dish grow out?

Thank you.

Edited by NightPuma1 (05/14/20 08:40 PM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: How much growth do you actually need on an agar plate before transferring to grain? [Re: NightPuma1] * 1
    #26671225 - 05/14/20 08:44 PM (9 months, 19 days ago)

Thats up to you. Any growth will work but letting it grow out gives u more mycelium to work with.

OfflineNightPuma1
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: How much growth do you actually need on an agar plate before transferring to grain? [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26671239 - 05/14/20 08:58 PM (9 months, 19 days ago)

Okay but I'm asking if it will affect how quickly the grain jar finishes or not.

Case 1: I let a small amount of mycelium grow on the agar until I can tell that it is not contaminated and then I transfer this to a grain jar as soon as possible.

Case 2: I let the entire petri dish finish colonizing and then transfer this to the grain jar.

Which would be better? In Case 1 you get the growth started on the grain earlier but it is a smaller amount of mycelium inoculating the grains, whereas in Case 2 you are starting later because you need to wait for the Petri dish to finish colonizing but you are dropping a larger amount of inoculating mycelium into the grain.

Hope that clarifies my question. Thank you.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26671255 - 05/14/20 09:09 PM (9 months, 19 days ago)

I see your issue now, your going for high-speed growth (need shrooms now protocols). I would go with Option 2, having more mycelium in the beginning would be an advantage in my opinion.

If u really wanna go high speed, cut your colonized agar into small pieces, drop into your master jar then after sealing the jar, shake well to mix up the spawn points to even faster speeds.

The fastest method is Liquid Cultures thou but its an extra step between agar and grain.

OfflineNightPuma1
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26671295 - 05/14/20 09:42 PM (9 months, 19 days ago)

Okay one last question please.

So to isolate genetics you generally speaking want to slice off a hyphal node that has grown very far from the point of inoculation which implies that is an aggressive colonizer. Let's say that I do that several times and get one that is quite aggressive.

In your opinion, how often does it happen that you get some very aggressive growing mycelium that ends up being a poor fruit producer?

In other words, how frequently do you isolate some really aggressive strain "in petri" that does not hold up expectations when fruiting.

Thank you.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26671304 - 05/14/20 09:46 PM (9 months, 18 days ago)

That is a pretty advanced question that I dont know the answer to. Maybe try make a thread in Advanced Cultivation :shrug:

Typically thou, rhizomophic mycelium is a good choice for fruiting. Also, isolating strains is a very involved process. Are you ready for Advanced Growing Techniques right now?

OfflineNightPuma1
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26671320 - 05/14/20 09:51 PM (9 months, 18 days ago)

I currently have some petri dishes with hyphal nodes sticking kind of far out and I am just wondering what the probability is after several transfers of ending up with a lousy harvest. I'm aware that it takes time and I'm going to be very patient, but if I have certain nodes sticking so far out it would be a little foolish not to try and potentially isolate some aggressive genetics. Just don't want it for nothing.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26671321 - 05/14/20 09:52 PM (9 months, 18 days ago)

Just pick the strongest, healthiest mycelium and it should be fine. When u get into cloning on agar, clone shrooms that are in clusters.

OfflineNightPuma1
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26671331 - 05/14/20 09:56 PM (9 months, 18 days ago)

Thanks!

OnlineSockadin
Male User Gallery

Re: How much growth do you actually need on an agar plate before transferring to grain? [Re: NightPuma1] * 1
    #26671333 - 05/14/20 09:56 PM (9 months, 18 days ago)

Yeah it is still a crap shoot. Agressive mycelium doesn't translate into a good mushroom producer. The key to producing a good quality flush is more environment and growing conditions.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Petri Dish

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation