Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineoculodextro
Male
Loc: Space is the Place
Does this look like King Oyster on bulk?
    #26666957 - 05/12/20 04:00 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

First time growing King Oyster. I believe I had a healthy agar sample and it transferred nicely to grain. Which I then G2G to about 10 jars.

Been struggling with hardwood bags so decided to try a shoebox with a mix of coir/coffee grounds/vermiculite. It colonized in probably 3-4 days and then I allowed it to sit for a week before popping the lid.

It has a faint smell of almonds, just figured the mycellium would be thicker due to how thick it gets on agar. It's a bit wispy but doesn't seem unorganized like cobweb.

I know I'm not going to get the best fruits in a shoebox, just wanted to do something I'm more comfortable with.

Edited by oculodextro (05/12/20 04:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does this look like King Oyster on bulk? [Re: oculodextro]
    #26668430 - 05/13/20 10:52 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

The last one won't enlarge for me right now, so I can't see the best one, but from the first 2 it looks fine to me, if a bit dry.

Normally I would say it was a terrible idea to put coffee grounds in that substrate mix, but king oysters are about the only species you might be able to get away with that.  If it fails though, you know that's probably why.

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Offlineoculodextro
Male
Re: Does this look like King Oyster on bulk? [Re: Forrester]
    #26668543 - 05/13/20 12:13 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I know they readily eat coffee grinds, is it more mixing it with the vermiculite and coir that is odd?

OfflineForresterM
aspiring sociopath
Male User Gallery

Loc: Northeast USA Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Does this look like King Oyster on bulk? [Re: oculodextro]
    #26670221 - 05/14/20 08:38 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

oculodextro said:
I know they readily eat coffee grinds, is it more mixing it with the vermiculite and coir that is odd?

No they do fine on coir/verm it's not that odd.

And it's not that they have a problem eating coffee grinds, it's that when you spawn to a substrate with coffee grinds in open air you're basically asking for contams, unless your culture can out-compete them.  Which kings can, that's what I was saying, it's just a luck game.  If you wanted to do it right you would sterilize any substrate with coffee grounds in it, and spawn it in front of a flow hood.

(unless that's what you did, I don't think you said in the original post)

--------------------
Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an eye to heaven, conscious of his fleeting time here.
-------------------

Have some medicinal mushrooms and want to get the most out of them?  Try this double extraction method.

Offlineoculodextro
Male
Re: Does this look like King Oyster on bulk? [Re: Forrester]
    #26670256 - 05/14/20 09:09 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

So I let the coffee grounds dry out in my desert climate, dried really quickly. Then I sterilized for 40 minutes in the pressure cooker with the coir/verm (I know I probably could of just pasteurized the coir/verm).

Then I spawned it and kept it sealed for a week in a dark closet, and now I'm spritzing and fanning like unmodified shoebox. Don't have high hopes here, just wanted to try something else while my bags colonized.

My bags I kept making too wet and only colonized about 90%, I just found pins on one of my bags yesterday so made some X's near primordia and spritzing/fanning trying to avoid pins.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate