Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery
SLOW BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures * 1
    #26669647 - 05/13/20 11:05 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Hi,

So recently I had the distinct pleasure of failing with a grow kit. You can read all about it here:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26609775

So I decided to do it right, and start off with some standard BRF tek. In this thread I want to track my progress and especially share the timeline. I searched this forum for quite a while, and I realize now that it's just not possible to know how long certain steps will take due to several factors, I still think there isn't enough information out there where people actually track their timeline. So for noobs like me this might be helpful :smile:

So here we go. I got 2 syringes of Golden Teacher and 12 jars.

Day-0, 2020-04-28: knocked up 4 jars with syringe-1, jars with standard mixture (without gypsum though), 4 holes, etc. etc. I did not shake the syringe overly well, since it's cap had a hole for some reason spraying me with spore water. Yay. I thought that would take care of the shaking. Also, I didn't angle the syringe towards the glass.

Day-10 | Day-0, 2020-05-08: still absolutely nothing visible in all 4 jars - stressful! I knocked up another 8 jars with syringe-1 (empty now) and syringe-2, this time shaking like crazy. Also, a small amount of gypsum in the mix, and I angled the syringe towards the glass this time.

Day-14 | Day-3, 2020-05-11: finally some growth visible in 1 of the original 4 jars, teeny tiny speck of white cloud.
Day-15 | Day-4, 2020-05-12: another one of the 4 original jars shows signs of growth!

Day-16 | Day-6, 2020-05-14: I just checked the newer 8 jars, and there's actually some growth visible for several of them! The angling towards the glass might have done it, I'm not sure.
2 of the original jars are colonizing, although only from one visible spot. The other 2 original ones still don't show any signs of growth at all.

Day-16, 4 original jars:

Day-6, 4 jars:

I of course appreciate any advice and I'll try to update this thread more or less regularly. I hope that's ok with everyone.
cheers!

Update-1: From the original 4 jars, 2 still show no signs of growth, the other 2 are progressing nicely. I'm hoping there's a giant clot of mycelium in the middle somewhere :smile: From the 8 jars I inoculated 10 days later, 5 are showing growth. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves:

Day-20, 4 original jars:

Day-10, 8 newer jars:

Update-2
Day-24, original 4 jars:

Day-14, newer 8 jars:

Update-3: one jar is showing some contamination:
Day-26, one of the original 4 jars:

Update-4: as suggested, I got rid of the contaminated jar on Day-27. Here are some pics:

Also, I re-inoculated all of the inactive jars (5/12) today. 2 were on Day-27, and 3 on Day-17, all of them without any signs of growth. I did not re-sterilize which probably isn't too smart - we'll see I guess.

Update-4:
the single remaining of the original 4 jars is now about 3/4 colonized
Day-30, single remaining jar:

Day-20 for 5 other jars:

the re-inoculated 5 jars are on Day-3 without any signs of growth yet.

Update-5:
Day-34 for the single remaining original jar, it's almost at full colonization, I'm guessing a couple more days:

Day-24 for the 5 jars from inoculation-2. 2 of them are ahead of the others, both about half-colonized. The others are lagging at various stages:

Day-7 for the re-inoculated jars, they are now all showing growth except one:

Update-6:
The last remaining jar from the original 4 showed a contaminated spot today. It's hard to put it into words how frustrating this is. 35 days, finally close to full colonization!

I decided to try to fruit it anyway, maybe I'll get a flush out of it before the other jars are finished. I'll refrain from checking on them too often from now on, the contamination spot was near the top. I cut away the contamination generously, as well as everything that wasn't colonized yet. The top part was had basically gone through the dry vermiculite layer for some reason - it wasn't overly dense, so I cut that away too. Then I rinsed it and cleaned off anything that didn't stick. The cake is now submerged until tomorrow morning. The colonized side looks pretty decent, this will be my test run before the "proper" cakes are ready. I'm hoping for the best:

Also, I finally filled up the SGFC in preparation:

Update-7:
Day-34 for 5 jars, 2 are very near completion (bottom center and bottom left), the others are between 1/2 and 2/3 colonized

Day-17 for re-inoculated jars, 1 isn't showing growth, the others are progressing

Day-8 of fruiting in the SGFC with the cake where I cut away the contamination. No consolidation period here, so this will definitely cause a delay. Haven't noticed any pins yet.

Update-8:
Unfortunately, it is not going well.
Day-20 of fruiting premature jar, more white on the surface but no pins yet. It's been mostly cold outside, maybe that's why it's taking forever.

Day-46 for 4 remaining jars. I birthed one jar this morning, fully colonized for about 1 week. Several of the other jars are showing contamination spots. For now I'm leaving the contaminated jars and hope the white mycelium wins out :smile: It's not really visible from the pic, but all 4 are really close to done.

Day-29 for 3 remaining re-inoculated jars. The jar that wouldn't colonize at all decided to colonize with contamination - I removed that one before the pic. The top jar is almost done, but it's quite heavily contaminated. I guess I should have re-sterilized before re-inoculation.

current track:
remaining jars, colonization stage: 7/12
dunking: 1/12
fruiting: 1/12
contamination: 8/12
removed due to contamination as of today: 3/12
Days to full colonization: 39 (1)

I guess I have to work on my methods, this is a bit disheartening.

Update-9:
First up a confession: I'm a moron. Yes, unfortunately it seems to be true.
Background: I searched a garden store and 2 hardware stores for verm and perlite. They did not know what I meant (Austria btw), and I didn't search via Internet before I went to the store. When I was looking at the pictures of SGFCs I basically saw white stones, so when I was standing in the store and saw some Aquarium stones I thought those would probably do the job.
Yeah, they really don't. And yes, I should have known better.
I replaced them with proper perlite from the SAME STORE (aaaaah!) a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I removed the 2/3 cake today, it's been 33 days and it's not doing anything and not looking healthy either. But I finally have a cake that is pinning. This one had a spot that wasn't colonized yet, but was pinning in the jar (see post further below), I removed those uncolonized bits and did the standard dunk+roll, it's been 7 days:

Another cake finished a few days ago, this is the most healthy looking one yet. There is a pin somewhere to the side, but it's only been 3 days so there's still plenty of time:

From the colonizing jars, 5 are still left. Apart from one they all have some form of contamination. The white mycelium seems to be eating away at it though. The top jars are almost done now (center Day-43, right Day-60), bottom left (Day-43) is done eating contamination but looks a bit weird, bottom center (Day-43) I'm not holding my breath but the white is spreading so ... maybe? Bottom right is doing fine (Day-43), almost done.

I also knocked up another 6 jars with a B+ strain. I changed up the mixture a bit since I'm not overly trusting of the BRF I used - I added a small amount of ground up black rice, since that's the only one my supermarket had available. Looking good after only 5 days:

Edited by wisesnake (07/07/20 12:50 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMugnath
Male

Loc: Oregon
Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: wisesnake]
    #26669678 - 05/13/20 11:26 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Did you end up eating that 12 grams?

Edited by Mugnath (05/13/20 11:27 PM)

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery
Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: Mugnath]
    #26670532 - 05/14/20 12:24 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mugnath said:
Did you end up eating that 12 grams?

no, I just stored it. I'll probably toss it at some point.

OfflineMugnath
Male

Loc: Oregon
    #26670562 - 05/14/20 12:37 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Did you dry it before storing?

Edited by Mugnath (05/15/20 09:47 AM)

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery
Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: Mugnath]
    #26671996 - 05/15/20 05:37 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mugnath said:
Did you dried it before storing?

Yes of course, 2.5g dry mass moldy mushrooms, as mentioned in the old thread :smile:

Offlinelucidasans
|||||||||||||||||

#26672183 - 05/15/20 08:33 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

My jars looks like yours. No sign of myc in 10 days.

It's normal to take 14 days to a first sign? Is it not an air exchange issue?

--------------------
All things are infinite things.

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Gaming the system
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: lucidasans]
    #26672196 - 05/15/20 08:38 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

That myc looks pretty bacterial, hopefully it outgrows it like pf is designed for.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Offlinedfittlesticks
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26672292 - 05/15/20 09:30 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Glad to know someone else besides me is or has experienced a no growth situation.  My grow kit from Midwest Growers told me it would take from 5 to 10 days.  I am on day 12 now and still nada.  I sterilized everything, there is no sign of any mold or contamination, I have 12 jars of PFT in an incubator at 79 degrees and nothing is growing.  Midwest tells me they think the spores were bad and I can reuse the jars since there is no sign of contamination but I am wondering if the jars they sent are dried out or bogus.  Spores were from Micro Supply.  The syringes had spore clots in them that I had to shake vigorously to break up. I did tilt the needle towards the glass during inoculation.  I have noticed a musty odor when I open the incubator lid to check the temperature, but nothing over whelming so not sure if bacteria is a problem or not.  any advice other than waiting a few more days?

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery
Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: A.k.a]
    #26675031 - 05/16/20 02:44 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

A.k.a said:
That myc looks pretty bacterial, hopefully it outgrows it like pf is designed for.

How so?
The pictures aren't perfect, there's some moisture on the glass surface, the myc itself looks really fluffy and pure white which I thought was healthy? I'll post an update tomorrow or on monday when I get back home.

Edited by wisesnake (05/16/20 10:53 PM)

InvisibleJimmy Sage
Wanderer
Male

Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: dfittlesticks] * 1
    #26675075 - 05/16/20 03:06 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like something to do with the spores more than anything. I would try reinoculating the same jars, I’ve had a similar situation happen to me and it’s worked (happened with one syringe that also came from a reputable vendor). Just make sure you shake your syringe well and wait a few seconds after flame sterilizing the needle to inoculate.

Edit: Just reread your comment to find that ALL 12 jars are showing no signs of growth. That is not normal and I would definitely look at the syringe as the culprit...

Edited by Jimmy Sage (05/16/20 03:08 PM)

InvisibleJimmy Sage
Wanderer
Male

Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: Jimmy Sage] * 1
    #26675091 - 05/16/20 03:13 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I’m on my second or third grow now and I inoculated a 1/4 oz jar with a syringe I made just to make sure it wasn’t contam’d (since it was my first time). It’s day 7 now and its 95 percent colonized. Only used 0.5ml solution for the whole jar.  This is the fastest growth I’ve seen (signs of growth on DAY 2!) which surprised me because I was worried since the syringe was very clear compared to vendor syringes. Which leads me to believe that freshness of the spores are pretty much the most important thing. Perhaps the spores/syringe you got are old? For my first grow I also used a vendor syringe to inoculate 1/4pint jars, and it took until day 5 to see growth and a month to birth.

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery
Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: Jimmy Sage]
    #26675858 - 05/16/20 10:51 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Jimmy Sage said:
Sounds like something to do with the spores more than anything. I would try reinoculating the same jars, I’ve had a similar situation happen to me and it’s worked (happened with one syringe that also came from a reputable vendor). Just make sure you shake your syringe well and wait a few seconds after flame sterilizing the needle to inoculate.

Edit: Just reread your comment to find that ALL 12 jars are showing no signs of growth. That is not normal and I would definitely look at the syringe as the culprit...

The newer ones are showing growth after only 6 days, so they are fine I guess - angling the needle towards the glass and shaking properly probably helped. The angle part solely for seeing any and all growth sooner.
There's only 2 jars of the older ones without signs of growth after 16 days but maybe that's history too, I'll update later today (it's now Day 22 for them, I think)

Edit: just realized that was probably not meant for me, nevermind :wink:

Edited by wisesnake (05/16/20 10:54 PM)

InvisibleJimmy Sage
Wanderer
Male

Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: wisesnake] * 1
    #26676506 - 05/17/20 09:01 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Nope I meant it to you OP! Yes it is important to angle the syringe against the glass. Otherwise it could take ages to visibly see mycelium, I’ve had it take a couple of weeks to see growth when I inoculate the center of the spawn. Glad to hear you’re seeing growth!

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery
Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: Jimmy Sage]
    #26677982 - 05/18/20 12:40 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Jimmy Sage said:
Nope I meant it to you OP! Yes it is important to angle the syringe against the glass. Otherwise it could take ages to visibly see mycelium, I’ve had it take a couple of weeks to see growth when I inoculate the center of the spawn. Glad to hear you’re seeing growth!

ah yeah, I figured it was important when I read about it - I had already inoculated the first 4 though, so no changing that. Maybe they're half colonized on the inside by now, who knows :P

I just updated the OP with some new pics.

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery

#26691534 - 05/24/20 01:03 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

so, one of the original 4 jars is showing some contamination:

Should I toss it right away, or wait if the good myc wins out?
Damn, I really thought I've been careful enough :/

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26692023 - 05/24/20 07:57 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Toss it. Bacteria is doable but nothing green.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery

Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: A.k.a]
    #26694023 - 05/25/20 12:57 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

A.k.a said:
Toss it. Bacteria is doable but nothing green.

shit, alright, I'll get rid of it, thanks.

Edit: I thought I'd do a little study what went wrong. I halved the cake at the contamination:

The dry verm layer was definitely too shallow, as the mycelium basically reached the top of the jar. The cake was about half colonized, and the contamination spot seems to have been mostly surrounded and not overly deep. That makes me wonder if I could have cut it away after full colonization. The source is hard to tell, there's at least a quarter-inch of non-dry and then a half-inch of dry verm in between it and the jar lid, so I'm guessing it happened right at inoculation. Still, it took 26 days for any green to grow, which points to contamination after inoculation I guess?

In any case, it's in the bin, I'll carry it down to the dumpster right now.

Edited by wisesnake (06/02/20 08:23 AM)

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery

#26715755 - 06/03/20 04:26 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

I have a question regarding <direct> sunlight. For reasons I don't want to get into, my SGFC is located on the balcony. It's set up under some hanging flower pots next to a wall, so MOST of the day it's comfortable in the shadow. Around midday though, the sun is high enough for a small bar of direct sunlight to sweep over most of the SGFC like so:

I found a thread talking about a limited amount of direct sunlight being quite beneficial (like 10min a day). It's hard to gauge how long the bar takes to sweep across the whole thing - I'll try to do that in the next few days - but it's definitely in the range of 1-2 hours around midday.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: wisesnake] * 2
    #26715801 - 06/03/20 05:27 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Direct sunlight is never a bad idea. Shrooms love the sun (Tropical Species). However, direct sunlight can dry out the cakes and perlite so make sure to check on your SGFC at least twice a day and mist as needed.

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery

Re: BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26715865 - 06/03/20 05:55 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

excellent, thank you for the quick reply!

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26716225 - 06/03/20 09:18 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah mine are a similar situation. It’s indirect light except for an hour or two in the afternoon. Never had a problem with it though other than heat issues.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery

Re: SLOW BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: wisesnake]
    #26781345 - 06/25/20 07:25 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

The fruiting of this cake is going really slowly, and I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong. The cake had its issues - there was a contamination spot just before it reached full colonization, so I decided to cut away anything that wasn't colonized, then dunk+roll and hope for the best. But it's been 22 (!) days, and besides becoming somewhat more white on the surface, nothing much has happened:

The cake isn't looking half as fluffy as pictures I've seen browsing through the forum. I realize that skipping consolidation will delay, but this seems excessive no?

The SGFC is located on my balcony, and as far as I can tell it's built to spec. The cake feels dry rather often, so I mist 3-4 times a day. I've been wondering if there even is such a thing as overmisting cakes? The climate has been a bit on the cold / wet side, usually below 20°C / 68°F.

Ah, and there's this black spot on the top of the cake that worries me:

On another note, I've recently transferred another cake after dunk+roll, this time fully colonized and consolidated, 2 days in the SGFC:

What I've also wondered is the timeline for colonization. The very first cake to reach full colonization took 39 days, the others - almost all of which are now contaminated - are on Day-48 and 31 respectively. Reading about 2 week colonization times from other people I wonder what is going on there.

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: SLOW BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: wisesnake] * 1
    #26781523 - 06/25/20 08:32 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

That black spot is sketchy.

Have you successfully fruited anything in that chamber? 22 days is a loooong time and since the cake isn’t bruised at all it seems like it’s probably not getting enough air.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery

Re: SLOW BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: A.k.a]
    #26781831 - 06/25/20 10:54 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

No, it's my first time.
I drilled plenty of holes though, and I've been fanning 3-5 times a day. Can't imagine air exchange to be an issue tbh

What would bruising indicate? Too much water?

Edited by wisesnake (06/25/20 10:58 AM)

OfflineAtmozFear
just a shade of myself
Male

#26781845 - 06/25/20 10:59 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

would indicate too dry

--------------------

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery

Help plz: PINS in not fully colonized jar! [Re: wisesnake]
    #26791274 - 06/29/20 02:58 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I just noticed in one of my jars pins started to form, even though it's not at full colonization. There's a large yellow spot (I guess these are metabolites), and several pins:

What should I do? Go ahead and birth, dunk+roll. Should I cut away the uncolonized bit? Or leave a few more days? It's been colonizing for 52 days, it would probably take another week or more for the uncolonized bit to finish.

EDIT: I've decided to birth and remove the uncolonized bits. There was definitely something bacterial going on, as this part of the cake pretty much fell off when I birthed it. Cake's now dunking.

Edited by wisesnake (06/29/20 08:03 AM)

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery

Re: SLOW BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: wisesnake]
    #26808167 - 07/07/20 12:56 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

I have a question regarding my first pinning cake (:laugh:)

The pins already seem to be breaking the veil, should I already do a harvest after only 7 days of fruiting? The mycelium was already pinning inside the jar:

Also, I'm still not sure if there is such a thing as "too wet" and I'm afraid I'm misting too much. Most of the time I check the cakes are dry, so I'll spray them. That's 3-5 times a day. The humidity is much better now that I got proper perlite.

OfflineA.k.aM
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26808284 - 07/07/20 05:03 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

That one looks like it aborted, I’d leave it but only because it’s on top of healthy pins you don’t want to damage.

There’s definitely such a thing as too wet but idk much about cakes or SGFC. If they’re dry seems like it should be fine to mist though.

--------------------
LAGM2020

Offlinewisesnake
New Snake
 User Gallery

Re: SLOW BRF Timeline: progress tracking incl. pictures [Re: A.k.a]
    #26810273 - 07/08/20 04:12 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

thanks for the reply!

Some of the other pins aren't looking overly healthy either. I flipped the cake so the pinning spot has a bit more space. The one (formerly) at the top is probably the best one atm. Not sure how I should proceed.
Fruiting for 8 days now:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates