Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinerider420
Ghost in the machine
Male User Gallery

Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning
    #26662222 - 05/10/20 11:49 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/121464993/waikato-doctor-nearly-dies-after-death-cap-mushroom-poisoning

New Zealand:

A doctor who survived cancer and chemotherapy says death cap mushroom poisoning was the most painful ordeal she has ever had.

Dr Anna Whitehead saw some mushrooms near an oak tree in Raglan on the Easter long weekend.

The Waikato public health doctor hadn't planned to forage but decided to pick the mushrooms and check online if the ones she'd found near the waterfront on Cliff St were toxic.

But she was so busy, partly due to commitments during the coronavirus pandemic, she forgot to check. She fried two mushroom caps and a stem, ate them with fish at lunch and felt fine – for a while.

"I had this vomit which was unusual. It was a green liquid."

She went back to sleep but woke up again, and had "a huge amount" of green diarrhoea and vomit.

"By eight in the morning I thought: I'm actually really unwell."

She realised only the mushrooms could be making her so ill.

Guilt set in. With health systems focused on fighting coronavirus, she did not want to go to hospital.

Whitehead phoned Healthline and a paramedic was sent.

Whitehead said she was asked if she'd eaten a "magic mushroom" but had to emphasise she hadn't.

Later, her own GP rang the National Poisons Centre (NPC) and Whitehead was put on a drip at the GP clinic.

But the toxins were destroying her liver.

It was impossible for her to keep enough fluids down, and she was hospitalised.

"I have never ever felt so terrible," chemotherapy survivor Whitehead told Stuff.

Death cap (amanita phalloides) poisoning is still relatively unusual in New Zealand and Whitehead said health professionals asked if she was sure what she'd eaten.

She was given activated charcoal, which turned her lips and vomit black.

But the toxins were damaging her liver so badly, the New Zealand Liver Transplant Unit in Auckland was contacted.

Eventually, tests showed her liver functions very slowly returning to normal.

She said staff at Waikato Hospital's high dependency unit helped her recover.

More than three weeks later, the usually active outdoor enthusiast is still recuperating.

And Whitehead said all mushrooms are off the menu, partly because she can still smell the disgusting green funk of the toxic death cap.

The NPC has fielded an increase in mushroom exposure enquiries this year, compared to 2019.

NPC director Dr Adam Pomerleau said in early 2019, most death cap exposures were in children, but so far this year, most exposures were in adults.

"It is the mushroom foragers and people who make a meal out of foraged mushrooms who are at higher risk of being seriously poisoned."

Pomerleau said death caps were notorious and responsible for most mushroom-related deaths, but many other species could cause injury and death. 

Whitehead and Pomerlau encouraged people to call the poisons centre on 0800 POISON / 0800 764 766 if anybody was suspected of eating death caps.

DEATH CAP MUSHROOM

* When young, resembles white ball at soil surface

* Adult has cap up to 12cm across, stem 15cm long

* Adult colour can be off-white, light tan or green

* Contains poisonous basidiomycete fungus

* Symptoms usually appear 6-24 hours after eating

* Causes liver and kidney failure, diarrhoea and vomiting

* Found mainly in deciduous forest, including under introduced oak, chestnut, poplar and beech

* Can have white gills beneath cap, small cup at mushroom base, and skirt-like membrane around the stem.

Be safe grow your own or pick with a pro!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesh4d0ws
LSx
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: rider420]
    #26662812 - 05/10/20 05:08 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Damn this lady is irresponsible as fuck

Forgot to check whether they were deadly, doesnt know anything about mushroom identification

:facepalm:

--------------------

OfflineYukon Cornelius
Bumble Wrangler
Male User Gallery

Loc: Peppermint Mines
Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: sh4d0ws]
    #26662839 - 05/10/20 05:31 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Further proof that regardless of your education level you can do stupid shit.

--------------------
"I didn't know chicken's wore suspenders" - Towelie

InvisibleAmanita86
OTD Keymaster
 User Gallery

Loc: hades
Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: Yukon Cornelius]
    #26663056 - 05/10/20 07:16 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

For real..

--------------------
:mushroom2:Orange clock, pencil:bouncysmoke:
"They threw me off the hay truck about noon...":fishing:
:mushroom2:*Mark 15:34:levitate::mushroom2::blueninja:
Gam zeh ya’avor...:sunny:

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: rider420]
    #26663366 - 05/10/20 09:22 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

How do you "forget" to ID mushrooms? You either confirmed their identity and are sure what they are or you aren't. I think she just realized how fucking stupid it was to eat some rando mushrooms without knowing what they were and made that shit "too busy" shit up after the fact.

Also, is their a prime yet commonly(so much so that an amateur would both think they knew what they had and be especially motivated to eat them on a lark) foraged species in New Zealand that looks like death caps? It's not like death caps are hard to identify, and I know to someone who has no business eating wild mushrooms they can look and smell like mushrooms you'd find at the supermarket, but considering how easy death caps are to identify I can't imagine someone mistaking them for some rare wild mushroom that they just had to take home and eat out of nowhere.

I mean who the fuck(without knowledge to do so safely) randomly decides to eat wild mushrooms without making any attempt to identify or any premeditation to foraging them?

Quote:

And Whitehead said all mushrooms are off the menu, partly because she can still smell the disgusting green funk of the toxic death cap.

And wtf is this? What disgusting green funk are they talking about and why did they eat it then? Doesn't sound like they were much of a mushroom lover/enthusiast in the first place.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Loc: God's Flat Green Earth
Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: Yukon Cornelius] * 1
    #26663542 - 05/10/20 10:44 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Yukon Cornelius said:
Further proof that regardless of your education level you can do stupid shit.

Like blow the seriousness of the Coronavirus out of proportion.

--------------------

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Psalm 12:6
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Hebrews 11:3
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Revelation 3:11
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

OfflineFrank Zappotecorum
Smooth-Brained Mycophagist
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Scamdinavia
Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: Shiithead]
    #26664562 - 05/11/20 01:42 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Yikes. Are there even edible Amanita in New Zealand? Maybe Amanita rubescens but I don't know if the one that grows there according to iNaturalist is Amanita rubescens sensu stricto.

--------------------
What are all these leaves doing in my mouth?
I ain't got a lot but peep my Trade list

InvisibleRogerTheRetard
Overlord

Loc: Auckland, NZ Flag
Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: Frank Zappotecorum]
    #26665551 - 05/11/20 10:27 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

LOL
:ilold:

It's survival of the fittest here, and if you honestly can be stupid enough to eat a deathcap, you deserve to die of mushroom poisoning.
:2cents:

Like previous posters said, she is a stupid woman.
:irdumbtard:
She knows nothing about mushrooms and she goes ahead and eats some anyway without making an ID request on shroomery. Noobs will be noobs. Mushrooms are serious business. You have to know what you are doing when it comes to the collection and consumption of these things.

--------------------
:hitler::mushroom2:angulospora:heart:subaeruginosa:heart:subsecotioides:heart:tasmaniana:mushroom2::hitler:

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: Shiithead] * 2
    #26665959 - 05/12/20 07:58 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Shiithead said: Like blow the seriousness of the Coronavirus out of proportion.

70,000 US(300,000 globally) dead in a matter of months, no vaccine for the foreseeable future, limited effective treatment protocols, a 1+% mortality rate for symptomatic patients with an ability to kill even young and healthy individuals, no natural immunity and highly contagious, while overwhelming our medical infrastructure impairing the treatment of other medical problems and amplifying their danger as well...seriousness level - low???

Not to mention we are probably undercounting coronavirus related deaths... https://www.propublica.org/article/theres-been-a-spike-in-people-dying-at-home-in-several-cities-that-suggests-coronavirus-deaths-are-higher-than-reported

Quote:

In Detroit, authorities are responding to nearly four times the number of reports of dead bodies. And in New York, city officials are recording more than 200 home deaths per day — a nearly sixfold increase from recent years.

Already more US citizens have died from COVID-19 than US soldiers died during the entire Vietnam War...

Edited by Holybullshit (05/12/20 08:06 AM)

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: Holybullshit]
    #26666107 - 05/12/20 09:15 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

:blah:

--------------------

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.
Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: Shiithead]
    #26666923 - 05/12/20 03:48 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

What a well thought out argument you make.

Do you have a habit of spouting ridiculous bullshit without making any effort to explain it or back it up? I think there's a word for that...

How many people have to die before you consider something a "serious" problem? Whatever it is I am sure we would have surpassed it already without social distancing measures and shelter in place orders.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: Holybullshit]
    #26666931 - 05/12/20 03:52 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I'm not trying to continue the derailment of the thread. Please visit the pub and post there if you wish to continue discussing how you are wrong.

--------------------

InvisibleHolybullshit
Stranger
    #26666938 - 05/12/20 03:54 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

What a bullshit excuse, there is no discussion happening here and its not a discussion worth topic, there is no thread to derail. And what was "wrong" about anything I posted? Those are facts, that the reality of the situation. I'm sorry if reality doesn't agree with your deluded world view.

InvisibleShiithead
Your Huckleberry
Male User Gallery

Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: Holybullshit] * 1
    #26666962 - 05/12/20 04:02 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

:melt:

--------------------

Offlinethe_way
political prisoner
 User Gallery

#26668787 - 05/13/20 03:22 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Corona?

--------------------
They were dead before the ship sank!

Invisiblemind.at.large
Myconerd

Loc: Floating in liquid gardens
    #26668886 - 05/13/20 04:29 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

rider420 said:

Be safe grow your own or pick with a pro!

You definitely don't need to be a "pro" to have the knowledge to pick mushrooms for the table. Many mushrooms are incredibly easy to confidently identify and eat.

Deathcaps are also very easy to keep away from, as long as you do a minimal amount of research. I wonder if this lady just mistook them as something else, or was really that stupid to just eat a random mushroom

This article just gives more reason for my mom to complain whenever I tell her I was mushroom hunting...

--------------------
Mind's Easy Bag 2 Bag Grain Transfers

Endless Sub Tek

...the doll's trying to kill me and the toaster's been laughing at me...

Offlinedonjonson420
Baron
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland, USA Flag
Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: Holybullshit] * 1
    #26680766 - 05/19/20 09:55 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Holybullshit said:
Quote:

Shiithead said: Like blow the seriousness of the Coronavirus out of proportion.

70,000 US(300,000 globally) dead in a matter of months, no vaccine for the foreseeable future, limited effective treatment protocols, a 1+% mortality rate for symptomatic patients with an ability to kill even young and healthy individuals, no natural immunity and highly contagious, while overwhelming our medical infrastructure impairing the treatment of other medical problems and amplifying their danger as well...seriousness level - low???

Not to mention we are probably undercounting coronavirus related deaths... https://www.propublica.org/article/theres-been-a-spike-in-people-dying-at-home-in-several-cities-that-suggests-coronavirus-deaths-are-higher-than-reported

Quote:

In Detroit, authorities are responding to nearly four times the number of reports of dead bodies. And in New York, city officials are recording more than 200 home deaths per day — a nearly sixfold increase from recent years.

Already more US citizens have died from COVID-19 than US soldiers died during the entire Vietnam War...

"A Global Threat
The World Health Organization estimates that 1.8 billion people—close to one quarter of the world's population—are infected with Mycobacterium tuberculosis (M. tb), the bacteria that causes TB. Last year, 10 million fell ill from TB and 1.5 million died."

.......no one ran out and bought up all the toilet paper.

Invisiblesui
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: donjonson420]
    #26681395 - 05/19/20 03:42 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

That don't even look that good. They have this green sickly color, they look like they would make you want to puke.

--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Offlinemeepins
Stranger

Re: Waikato doctor nearly dies after death cap mushroom poisoning [Re: sui]
    #26706902 - 05/30/20 10:32 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Holy crap, so scary.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals