Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDNICEONER
Myco-botanydichotomy
Loc: Rotterdam
re-using Ball jars.....
    #2666260 - 05/12/04 01:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

has anyone ever p.c.'d already used jars in order to use them again, with good results? Any info on the matter?

--------------------
Only for those who know what they are talking about

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblehoushroom
shroom cowboy

Loc: space city
Re: re-using Ball jars..... [Re: DNICEONER]
    #2666274 - 05/12/04 01:48 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

yes you can reuse them, just wash them out real well with soapy water, rinse well, then PC as usual.

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
    #2666283 - 05/12/04 01:49 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

absolutly,ive used the 24 qt jars I currently have for at least 15 batches so far.I just handwash once in bleachwater,then run thru th dishwasher twice on high.That would be crazy expensive to buy new everytime.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

OfflineDNICEONER
Myco-botanydichotomy
Loc: Rotterdam
Re: re-using Ball jars..... [Re: ButterNut]
    #2672913 - 05/13/04 11:37 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

wow I've been throwing mine out every time.... :wtf:

--------------------
Only for those who know what they are talking about

Offlinedaisybird
journeyman

#2672930 - 05/13/04 11:42 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

well i was kinda wondering the same thing. and the only reason was that everyone says you have to throw your jar our if you get contam, i could never figure out if they just ment the cake or to toss the whole jar. although throwing the jar away is a bit extreme, but hey, i'm new

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Re: re-using Ball jars..... [Re: daisybird]
    #2672953 - 05/13/04 11:48 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

no not the jar,but sometimes if you get a jar that is really bad,then yes I throw that out also,because its just easier than messing with it,and if you open it inside you may spread the contams.But jars that contained normal healthy cakes absolutly can be used again.If you are really nervous about them just do as I said as regards to cleaning them,then PC them,then they would really be sterile,but I have never found the need,a wash in bleach water and the dishwasher on high twice,and Ive never had a problem,and never thrown away jars.

Heck Ive used pickle jars and Mayo jars before for several times,I just used foil for a lid.Remember after all the cleaning your going to be Steralizing the jars/substrate also.
Save your jars,and some money! :grin:

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

Anonymous

Re: re-using Ball jars..... [Re: ButterNut]
    #2673009 - 05/13/04 12:07 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I reuse all my jars, even if they had a contam. the contams(green mold, wetspot, black mold) wont survive the PC. just make sure you clean them out first and then PC like normal.. the only reason you have to pc grain more is because the grain can have mold inside the grain itself.. which take a long time to kill.(ie, thats why you PC for 90 mins with grain)

normal pf jars only need 30 mins, because all the contams can be killed very easily since there isn't as many pores.

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Re: re-using Ball jars..... [Re: ]
    #2673054 - 05/13/04 12:27 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I agree tottally i do the same,but someone could easily spread spores from a contaminated jar to your fruiting cakes if they arent carefull with opening it and they dont wash thier hands as soon as thier done,spores can stick to your clothes,ect...Thats why if its really bad,I either open it outside,and clean it initially with bleach and the hose, or toss it,but thats just because I have alot of jars and would rather not even deal with contam jars.But Your right they can all be reused.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation