Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Scientists use bioluminescent mushrooms to create glow-in-the-dark plants * 2
    #26660852 - 05/09/20 08:34 PM (2 months, 13 hours ago)

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/scientists-use-bioluminescent-mushrooms-to-create-glow-in-the-dark-plants/amp/

April 29, 2020 | 10:29am

We’ve all seen the movie Avatar — it’s one of the finest pieces of cinematic art ever to grace the silver screen and nobody debates this — and if there’s one thing you’ll remember about the fantastical world of Pandora it’s the gorgeous glowing plants. Plants on Earth typically don’t glow. Engineers have developed ways to trick plants into glowing using the same bioluminescent properties that are naturally found in some glowing fungi.

Now, a team of scientists have taken things one big step further by creating plants that glow not just temporarily but for the duration of their lives. The plants are the topic of a new research paper published in Nature Biotechnology.

The scientists, some of whom have worked on studies involving short-term glowing plants, used their knowledge of bioluminescent fungi to modify the way their plants utilized caffeic acid. Caffeic acid is crucial to the process that allows certain fungi to glow, but it’s present in all plants, so the researchers genetically modified the plants to turn caffeic acid into a compound called luciferin, which produce the glow in fungi.

As Science Alert reports, what makes this particularly interesting is that the methods the researchers used to modify their plants — the team used tobacco plants in their initial testing — allows them to continue to generate this bioluminescent compound indefinitely. Other studies that have resulted in glowing plants produced foliage that was only able to sustain a glow for a short period of time. That’s not true of this new breed, which glows persistently from the time it sprouts until the time it dies.

But why make glowing plants in the first place? That’s a good question, but the scientists have an equally satisfying answer.

“By enabling autonomous light emission, dynamic processes in plants can be monitored, including development and pathogenesis, responses to environmental conditions and effects of chemical treatment,” according to the researchers. “By removing the need for exogenous addition of luciferin or other substrates, these luminescent capabilities should be particularly useful for experiments with plants grown in the soil.”

The long-term benefits of this work could include the ability for scientists to more accurately determine why certain plants react to various environmental conditions while also monitoring the health of a plant by being able to essentially see what is happening within.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleShenmue
Dark Lord of the Sith 
Re: Scientists use bioluminescent mushrooms to create glow-in-the-dark plants [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #26660860 - 05/09/20 08:40 PM (2 months, 13 hours ago)

:whattefuck2:

Offlineredeyesmj
werdo
Male User Gallery

Loc: Middle of kansas
Re: Scientists use bioluminescent mushrooms to create glow-in-the-dark plants [Re: Shenmue]
    #26661104 - 05/09/20 10:45 PM (2 months, 11 hours ago)

That would be cool to have growing in the garden

--------------------
Where am I at?

[/url]
In a free society, the presumption must be that people can smoke, snort, eat or inject whatever they wish, so long as they do not harm others. The burden of proof should rest on those who would ban marijuana, not those who want it legal. That burden has never been met.

Offline24sevenZed
~Z3D3Z~
I'm a teapot

Loc: CYBERSPACE
Re: Scientists use bioluminescent mushrooms to create glow-in-the-dark plants [Re: redeyesmj]
    #26661136 - 05/09/20 11:00 PM (2 months, 11 hours ago)

Sounds like quite a significant achievement. I wonder if the transformation of Caffeic acid could be regulated in case the plant still needs it for other metabolic processes.

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Re: Scientists use bioluminescent mushrooms to create glow-in-the-dark plants [Re: 24sevenZed]
    #26661364 - 05/10/20 01:01 AM (2 months, 9 hours ago)

Offlineswanhill
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Scientists use bioluminescent mushrooms to create glow-in-the-dark plants [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #26661781 - 05/10/20 07:17 AM (2 months, 3 hours ago)

Lucerifin is the name of the substance that will be used as a vehicle to carry the Covid vaccine Bill Gates is developing.

InvisibleSpeeker

Re: Scientists use bioluminescent mushrooms to create glow-in-the-dark plants [Re: swanhill]
    #26669966 - 05/14/20 04:14 AM (1 month, 27 days ago)

Don't know about plants but I cultivated some glowers back then when I took this pic of my cat's toy.
And it's giving much more light than those mushrooms.

Exposure time? Probably just normal whatever was in that camera..

Also this was discussed at some point. Still, no glowing xmas trees, gannapis plats etc. yet..
https://makezine.com/2013/05/16/diy-synthetic-biology-making-your-own-glowing-plants/

--------------------
mushroom links, videos, etc.  blog

Edited by Speeker (05/15/20 06:42 AM)

Offlinedurian_2008
 User Gallery

Re: Scientists use bioluminescent mushrooms to create glow-in-the-dark plants [Re: swanhill]
    #26688915 - 05/22/20 06:55 PM (1 month, 18 days ago)

Quote:

swanhill said:
Lucerifin is the name of the substance that will be used as a vehicle to carry the Covid vaccine Bill Gates is developing.

H.R. 6666
WO/2020/060606 :awesomenod:

Offlinemeepins
Stranger

Re: Scientists use bioluminescent mushrooms to create glow-in-the-dark plants [Re: durian_2008]
    #26706863 - 05/30/20 10:22 AM (1 month, 11 days ago)

bruh...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service