Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >
Invisiblealaskappalachian
Entitiologist

Loc: The 49th Dimension
Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Kwyjibo]
    #26323578 - 11/15/19 10:02 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Kwyjibo said:
Did you make sure the cams and crank were in the correct position in relation to each other before putting the belt on? When the belt breaks the crank continues to spin longer than the cams do and if you don't realign everything before putting the belt on it will never run. Is it an interference engine? If it is did you check for bent valves or damage to the pistons?

Exactly.  I'm guessing you have a B2000 or B2200 or whatever those are called.  The timing marks are tricky on those.  If I recall, on the cam sprocket there are three letters.  One is A, one is CX or CV or something, and one is maybe like B.  You should be aligning the A mark with the timing mark (don't worry about the other letters).  There is another mark along the path of the crankshaft pulley as well.  Just remove both covers and the pulley (5 or 6 bolts) and flange that covers the cam shaft and you can see all the business.  Also make sure your tension is set correctly.  Also yes you manually tun the crank (disconnect your negative battery terminal before you do all this).  Just getting you started but I am sure there are some Youtube tutorials that will walk you through it without buying a Haynes or Chiltons and having scant visual references full of terms that might seem vague to you.  You can do this.  Also look up how to make sure your #1 is at TDC.  Triple check everything and save yourself some time.  Again, don't forget to check the tension.  While you're in there- if you didn't before- just go ahead and change your water pump.  Those Mazda trucks will run forever if you wrench on them now and again.  Do it right and enjoy the extra miles.  Best of luck.  Sorry for the spotty help but I'm multitasking.
PS you turn the crankshaft clockwise. 

--------------------

THE 49TH MYCOJOURNAL: EXOTICS, AURORAS,  & ENTITIES

ISO:Gym punctifolius spores for trade :pm:

Edited by alaskappalachian (11/15/19 10:08 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: alaskappalachian]
    #26323628 - 11/15/19 10:30 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

god damn it. I had that all taken apart to replace the timing belt to begin with, now I gotta do it all over again? Oh well.

Thanks fellas.

and yeah, b2000. glad to hear they go a long time because this ones at 200k miles.

OfflineMorgenstern
WHAT!

Loc: Flag
Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #26329894 - 11/18/19 08:44 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Yo what the fuk am I lookin' at here? :crankey:

There's an oil pan directly in front of it.  This is a Ford f150

--------------------
Admins can't read graphs.

OfflineKwyjibo
Stranger

Loc: California Flag
Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Morgenstern]
    #26329938 - 11/18/19 09:02 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Bell housing.

OfflineMorgenstern
WHAT!

Loc: Flag
Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Kwyjibo]
    #26330076 - 11/18/19 11:29 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Thank you. :cool:

--------------------
Admins can't read graphs.

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Loc: Exact Center
Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Morgenstern]
    #26330707 - 11/19/19 10:16 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Heater in my car isn't working on all but one setting and barely. Im guessing fan or filter?

--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.

OfflineBuster_Brown
L'une
Male User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #26333362 - 11/20/19 11:47 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

tryptkaloids said:
Heater in my car isn't working on all but one setting and barely. Im guessing fan or filter?

I checked YouTube for that on my make and model and it told me to grease or replace a little gizmo behind the glove box; yeah I actually had to remove the screws and remove the glove box to find it.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Buster_Brown]
    #26334555 - 11/20/19 10:02 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

lucky duck only needing to remove the glovebox, I took apart my entire dash trying to get at the heater/fan components and it just didn't seem possible.

Offlinetryptkaloids
Learner
I'm a teapot

Loc: Exact Center
Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Psilosopherr]
    #26334565 - 11/20/19 10:08 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Thankfully its a gm so i think I get to it under the hood

--------------------
"Remember, kids, the difference between science and screwing around is writing it down" -adam savage
Flowchart for Recommended plan of action.
Learn the tried and true way to grow mushrooms
Use the Damn search engine
After you know what you're doing, take a break 
Pick a book, Make some chips!
Josex said:Don't take the site seriously bro, ain't worth it.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: tryptkaloids]
    #26656031 - 05/07/20 08:55 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Found a mouse nest in my air filter, all chewed up. :facepalm:

Vacuumed it all out and everything still seems to run normally. God knows how long the nest had been in there. I dunno what else to do or how much something like that would screw up an engine. Should I maybe change the oil?

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26673775 - 05/15/20 10:49 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

finally messing around with the truck again, i feel like im so close. Oh christ this thread is almost 3 years old :lol:

I found that I had the spark plug wires going 1-2-3-4 instead of 1-3-4-2, ha. Found TDC, rotated my distributor 90 degrees because it was off for some reason so timing should be good. Although I'm starting to wonder if I'm just misreading those stupidly unclear charts of spark plug/cylinder firing order they have.

It cranks and cranks but just seems like there's no fuel getting to the engine, doesnt sputter or try to do anything other than crank. checked the fuel filter no to avail. Tomorrow I'm checking the carb/choke but I'm pretty sure I already cleaned those out last time. Might as well re-verify spark while I'm at it.

Been messing with ignition timing sans timing light and that made no difference. Although when I had the distributor all the way to one side suddenly the bendex/starter motor was spinning solo again.

Also checking the fuel lines tomorrow. How do yall usually do that? I've got this little bellows that would let me blow through them without putting my lips on gasoline. Maybe I can just measure the fuel pressure  at a certain spot though.

hoping the fucking timing belt didn't get all loose in there or the cam doesn't match the crank. But if i have to take the timing cover apart one more time, so be it. good learning experience.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26683900 - 05/20/20 05:52 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

GOT MY HONDA STARTED! Just had to mess with the clip that connects to the fuel pump and voila. Now to change the oil and check everything out.

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26688809 - 05/22/20 06:13 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

:billymaythumbup:

Sounds good Philosopherr!

I just changed oil / topped off fluids on a couple of our vehicles.  All is good.  Need to buy new tires soon, but fluids, belts, hoses, brakes are all looking good.  Sometimes I think about the amount of money that some shops charge for the service of being a man... and I just have to laugh.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: Grey Fox]
    #26689003 - 05/22/20 07:47 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Glad its smooth sailing over there.

I know right? Paying thousands for repairs that aren't even that complicated. Taking out loans just to buy the cars in the first place. Yikes, the stomach ache that would give me

Was just rinsing degreaser off my truck engine and noticed far too late that my drip pan was leaking...hopefully I didn't just toxify all the bass in the pond

In the middle of re-adjusting the truck timing, noticed that was a bit off and the fuel pump wasn't working anymore. Hopefully this will finally do the trick once its done

I'm curious if it would be worth it to restore the truck more once I get it running again. I'd rather restore an old carb truck than buy a new one, but this thing is so rusted to shit I can't quite decide if its worth it. Or how hard it is to rebuild engines, it'd be fun to learn though.

Invisibledizzy_simmons
Detective
Other

Loc: Interzone
    #26691960 - 05/24/20 07:04 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Psilosopherr said:

I'm curious if it would be worth it to restore the truck more once I get it running again. I'd rather restore an old carb truck than buy a new one, but this thing is so rusted to shit I can't quite decide if its worth it. Or how hard it is to rebuild engines, it'd be fun to learn though.

I just rebuilt the engine in my old Yota pickup with virtually no mechanical experience. It’s definitely possible, especially for smaller and older engines.

You’ll probly run into all sorts of unexpected mechanical issues (I took the chance to drain my diff oil and had a bunch of gear teeth come out with it). Hayne’s manuals come in handy. Friends who actually or even sorta know what they’re doing too. And you’ll probly want a machine shop to polish & measure the crank. If you have access to an engine hoist I figure it’s definitely worth doing cuz even if the body rusts apart, you’ll still have a decent engine. Plus it’s an educational experience, to say the least.

I prefer Japanese steel myself, but I’ve seen tons of rangers/Mazdas come through my work with hundreds of thousands of miles. You can smell the burning oil from a quarter mile away, but they keep running.

--------------------
UNDO YOUR DOMESTICATION

Looking for:
***The Land of the Free***

Ps. caerulipes  Ps. cubensis  Ps. cyanescens  Ps. ovoideocystidiata  Pan. cinctulus  Pan. cyanescens

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: dizzy_simmons]
    #26692636 - 05/24/20 01:05 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

ah thanks for replying, was doing some preliminary reading on the subject last night and was starting to lean against it. But engine rebuild kits are only like 300 dollars and it would be cool to do just for the experience. And the fact that you did it wit little experience is encouraging, though I don't doubt there would be several if not dozens of hiccups along the way.

Was looking at engine hoists and I think they were only like 300-400 bucks.

But the transmissions probably not in the best shape, nor the suspension. But I might do it just for the hell of it.

I do have some pretty good friends down the road who know a lot about rebuilding cars and welding. Last time I was there they were showing me this car that was almost in working order. They'd bought the car body in two halves, like the engine compartment had been totally ripped off of the rest of the car. So they welded that together and then added the trans, engine, axles/etc all from scratch. Just built a whole fucking car from nothing. I was impressed to say the least.

Edited by Psilosopherr (05/24/20 01:21 PM)

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26697330 - 05/26/20 03:45 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

holy freakin god. Just spent an hour trying to get one screw off of a hose clamp at the bottom of my fuel filter and still couldn't make it budge. Its just in such a ridiculously tight spot where you can't see anything.

Tried it with tiny screwdrivers and ratchet-screwdrivers, tried sockets in case it was one of those awesome bolt/screw combo deals. I'm outta ideas if anybodies got a tip. Maybe pliers

And its a fucking flathead screw. Who puts a flathead screw in a spot thats that hard to reach. I'm at the point where I just want to cut the whole fuel line out and replace it but that looks equally difficult too achieve.

Can't fit boltcutters in to just cut the fuel filters inlet off..maybe wirecutters would do it.

oooh, maybe I'll just use wirecutters to cut the hose clamp off, though i might damage the hose in the process.

Invisiblecollie man
Jai guru deva om
Male User Gallery

#26715188 - 06/02/20 09:15 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Do yourself the favor and buy retention clamps instead of the screw downs.
That way you can use needle nose or bow pliers.
And if you dont have hands like a china doll your fingers.

As far as solving your problem, a right angle driver or if you can manage a utility knife,
most of those grooves clear the OD so whatever you can slide in there and twist.

Mostly just swearing and frustration though.

--------------------

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

Re: Tuning up my car and trying to get an old truck running, not a big car guy, some Q's [Re: collie man]
    #26715316 - 06/02/20 10:17 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

ahh how did I not think of putting a retention clamp on there, thats a great idea for next time at least.

Swearing at it turned out to be the solution. I made that last post after expressing my anger at it, then went out the next morning to try again and it just kinda slid off with no effort. :lol:

Should have my mazda ready to start by tomorrow night. Re-installed the timing belt. Tomorrow I'm putting in a new fuel pump and all new fuel hoses/filter. One thing thats been worrying me though, I took the distributor rotor off and loosened the center bolt/nut underneath it so I could rotate the underlying mechanism and therefore rotate the rotor 90 degrees.

I just don't know much about how the distributor works south of the rotor so I'm hoping I didn't mess anything up.

OfflinePsilosopherr
A psilly goose
Other User Gallery

#26717812 - 06/03/20 09:13 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

mm, yeah, so I rotated my mechanical advance to correct rotor position which apparently is a no-no. Not sure how severe it is. This is already the second time I've rotated it (because apparently I'm an idiot) so I have no idea what its original orientation was now.

Not quite sure what to do, my haynes has nothing about it and google is proving unhelpful. I suppose I know I rotated it 90 degrees both times...wouldn't it be funny if it was already back in its original position. So I guess I could just try to start it and if it fails rotate it 90 degrees until it works.

Because I'm guessing the only thing a skewed mechanical advance could cause is a no-start condition, shouldn't actually damage anything if i try to start it like that

blah, right when I'm so close i go and screw somethin up. Installed a new fuel pump and all new fuel hose today at least.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | Next >

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
26,856 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.