Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Injection Ports, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male
Loc: pluto
new member/first time cultivator
    #26649402 - 05/04/20 11:20 PM (3 months, 5 days ago)

I just received my first spore syringe for cultivation! I have been doing research and found a monotub tek I wanted to follow.  I bought sterilized rye berries in quart jars online from desert high spores. do I need to make a SAB to inoculate a mason jar that has a self healing port with syringe? or just wash really well and wipe with alcohol/sterilize needle.  Assuming that goes alright, im going to buy pre-pasteurized substrate and spawn the grains to that in a tub. I realize this is not the best way to go about things.  syringe to agar then to grain is probably the way to go? then I would for sure need a SAB.
also im following willy myco tek and he seems to be flamed on these forums a lot for not being sterile in his videos? remember im a noobie!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinepsillypsally
Stranger

Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: Pdub]
    #26649602 - 05/05/20 02:30 AM (3 months, 5 days ago)

yea go with agar and always use a SAB for any type of inoculation.

OfflineFrankRhizo
Interdimensional Travel Agent
Male User Gallery
Loc: Subterranean Flag
Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: psillypsally]
    #26649798 - 05/05/20 05:38 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

:whathesaid:
I will say Willy helped bring me here back when I got started.
Go ahead and try the syringe to jar but it's going to have a lower chance of success. The reason I say that is because you already purchased the quart jars. Aquire the means for agar. Read all the updated teks and follow the ones you want. You should have plenty of spores left over to do agar.

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male
Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: FrankRhizo]
    #26650289 - 05/05/20 10:20 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

Thanks for input... will attempt to inoculate half of the jars.  now looking on etsy to purchase a hepa flow glove box and go the agar route with rest of jars....

OfflineThe Mycologist
Explorer

#26650335 - 05/05/20 10:38 AM (3 months, 4 days ago)

--------------------
"That you are here—that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse.”
― Walt Whitman, Leaves of Grass
:acidfire::tmckenna:

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male
Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: The Mycologist]
    #26658830 - 05/09/20 12:02 AM (3 months, 1 day ago)

thanks for the links, have some pre poured petri dishes coming tomorrow.  going to make bods easy af SAB and inoculate 3 dishes and wait.  Im assuming I can store and reuse the ms syringe? Im under the impression that even if I get visibly clean mycelium that I want to transfer to another dish just not sure why or for how many transfers (will be researching that now).. so that's where im at :smile:

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male
    #26667478 - 05/12/20 08:34 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

Petri dishes were not pre poured like I thought.  purchased a refurbished 23q presto PC off amazon today,  then I can make my agar to pore my sterilized petri dishes in SAB.. my MS syringe has been in the fridge but I have a question about some grain jars I purchased online... they are sterilized rye berries in quart jars with self healing injection port and air filter patch.  do they stay sterile and field ready?  also im not going to be injecting them with syringe anymore, I plan to grow some clean mycelium on agar and transfer to jars. that still viable even tho they have been prepped for syringe?
http://

OfflineX-Ray Cat
Sees through wooden doors

#26667641 - 05/12/20 10:29 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

Yes definitely learn agar to begin with, learn the right way to do things so you don't get stuck in bad habits.  Your jars should be okay for a while but who knows how old they are already.  No need to keep your syringe in the fridge.  And screw buying pre-pasteurized substrate online, just do some coir and verm.  If you start with clean agar to grain and the jars turn out nice then coir is easy peasy.  Best of luck!

--------------------
THEY'RE JEWELS BETTY!!!

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male

Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: X-Ray Cat]
    #26667666 - 05/12/20 10:58 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

sweet! ya have done further research and probably will do that.  I know a cube is a cube, but really cant find anything on this MS syringe "maui platinum".  hopefully it is just like the next according to growing standards. It was the only syringe they had in stock and only vendor I could find that would ship to me in California. Says in descript they are very resistant to contam and great for the beginner..im crossing my fingers.  I received this syringe before doing much research or using shroomery, woulda went spore print if I did it again :smile:

OfflineX-Ray Cat

#26667670 - 05/12/20 11:01 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

Never heard of that strain but cubes are cubes for the most part.  No comment on that CA thing... Lol

--------------------
THEY'RE JEWELS BETTY!!!

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male

#26667673 - 05/12/20 11:04 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

lol should I take my location off of my profile?

OfflineX-Ray Cat

#26667682 - 05/12/20 11:17 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

I would

--------------------
THEY'RE JEWELS BETTY!!!

Offlinelamama
Stranger
    #26668699 - 05/13/20 02:23 PM (2 months, 27 days ago)

first agar with SAB, advanced culture is with LC (Liquid Culture)

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male

Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: lamama]
    #26680056 - 05/18/20 11:21 PM (2 months, 22 days ago)

inoculated a rye berry quart grain jar prematurely today just to see some growth.  know it will be contaminated but getting antsy and these jars I bought pre sterilized are probably becoming unusable.  23 quart presto came today without the pressure weight(which I reordered)/ also waiting on LME later this week to begin making agar and will pour 20 dishes in SAB. will be going from MS syringe to agar

OfflineX-Ray Cat

#26680074 - 05/18/20 11:37 PM (2 months, 22 days ago)

Your rye jar might not contam.  I actually thought that you were supposed to inject the spores straight to grain for years LOL.  The sad part is that it worked for a long time, that's why I was cautioning you against learning bad habits.  When I moved to my current residence I kept trying to grow again and I would always fail.  Eventually I gave up.  Then I decided to pretend that I knew absolutely nothing and learn everything over again from scratch.  What a difference that made.  So glad you got your PC and you are going to start agar.  You're heading in the right direction for sure!

--------------------
THEY'RE JEWELS BETTY!!!

InvisibleApples in Mono
Not a puppet

#26680207 - 05/19/20 02:52 AM (2 months, 22 days ago)

Nothing wrong with inoculating those jars while you wait on agar cultures- might as well. And you could potentially end up with a decent harvest. You could take some clones from them too

Offline2Ape2
Master of Learning from Error

Loc: Geo-diverse
Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: Apples in Mono]
    #26680480 - 05/19/20 06:52 AM (2 months, 21 days ago)

You're about one step ahead of me in the process.  I have to agree with you, go to agar.  I have some advantage of having worked with agar regularly some years ago.  It isn't difficult to make.  It is like everything else in the process, you're two worst enemies are not accounting for contamination and taking unproven shortcuts.  I've made myself slow down and research the processes.  At the end of the day, it really isn't all that complicated but takes patience. 

Consider the inoculated rye jar an experiment.  It make work out, it may not.  As long as you learn in the end and improve the process there is no failure.  Good luck and I'll be jumping in soon.

--------------------
If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin.
Sir Charles Darwin

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male

Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: 2Ape2]
    #26682210 - 05/19/20 11:37 PM (2 months, 21 days ago)

Yep definitely considering it an experiment.  Patience tried again as my LME got lost in shipment so I reordered tonight.  I Have 20 sterile dishes so plan on pouring all and only inoculating 5 of them with syringe.  transfer healthy mycelium to a few more plates and so on.  Will order/pour more dishes once I get my second round of transfers going.  Not all that sure what im looking for but hoping to understand more once I have a live sample in front of me.

OfflineRoot454
Stranger
    #26682247 - 05/20/20 12:06 AM (2 months, 21 days ago)

Hey man, i did pretty much everything you did. Lol but i also made some BRF cakes. My agar plate is kinda slowed on the progress but my brother swears its growing still. It doesnt look to have any contams at all. But i used spores on berries, and its worked wonderfully (so far).

Thats my spores to grain pic

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male

Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: Root454]
    #26682728 - 05/20/20 07:21 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

The brf cake idea has been lingering in my head.... I will look into it

Offlinededa_mraz
Stranger

Loc: Siberia
Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: Root454]
    #26682750 - 05/20/20 07:40 AM (2 months, 20 days ago)

This guy inoculated in his kitchen, after cleaning it for hours :smile:,
and it worked. Read it if you still want to go that route:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18099483

But he used liquid culture, which colonizes much faster than spore syringe. Spore syringe will have more problems with contaminations. It's always a race with time... But it should be possible outside a glovebox.

OfflineIzzamagic
Stranger
Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: Pdub] * 1
    #26683522 - 05/20/20 02:50 PM (2 months, 20 days ago)

I think you will at least have limited success if you clean a bathroom to work in and flame sterilize the needle right before poking the injection ports. I would expect a couple jars out of every 5 to squeeze it depending on the cleanliness of the spore syringe! Definitely preferable to work in a SAB and start on agar though. All depends on how invested you are and if you plan to do it again in the future

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male

Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: Izzamagic]
    #26689336 - 05/22/20 10:44 PM (2 months, 18 days ago)

Just made some agar and poured 20 petri dishes for the first time.... correction, bout 13 because i couldnt see very well and kept lifting up and pour on top of next lid instead of inside dish!!!  Waiting for it to cool and harden, got spore syringe waiting.  Will wash up again and go back into sab and noc them up.  Will finish up by cling wrapping them and mark with tape.  Storing in a rather warm house for a couple of days while gone.. maybe 80 degrees... when i get back in 3 days it will be back to 74 degrees f.  Hope i was as clean as possible... had hard time opening petri dish bag and created a bit of a stir in SAB... crossing fingers :smile:

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male

#26689346 - 05/22/20 10:49 PM (2 months, 18 days ago)

Should I store the inoculated petri dishes in the fridge or at room temp?
EDIT: nvm easy search, will store at room temp

Edited by Pdub (05/23/20 12:45 AM)

OfflineIzzamagic
Stranger
    #26689723 - 05/23/20 05:58 AM (2 months, 17 days ago)

you may see contams pouring in a sab. consider no pour methods like pasty plates

OfflinePdub
Stranger
Male

Re: new member/first time cultivator [Re: Izzamagic]
    #26720424 - 06/04/20 10:12 PM (2 months, 5 days ago)

so it has been 14 days since making dishes and inoculating with ms syringe.  3 of the 20 dishes definitely have some contam growing, rest of the dishes have nothing.  no mycelium on all 20.  Also inoculated 1 grain jar with same syringe 4 days prior.  the rye berry jar has finally shown growth but has barely grown since when I first saw 5 days ago.  my agar recipe is 10g agar agar and 10 g LME per a little over 400ml distilled water (PCed of course).  I ordered the smaller petri dishes by accident 60mm, 500 of them lol.  Just poured 40 more dishes.  I used the streak method with a loop, didn't let agar solidify enough and loop was swimming through the media as I zigged and zagged.  Walked away and waited a bit. washed up and went back inside SAB.  took a spore print to 3 more plates.  A gaming friend that has never done a spore print, sent me one in the mail!  Went back with MS syringe on 10 more plates and carefully dropped solution on them. hoping to see growth, maybe I can add yeast to my recipe to inhibit growth?  I have 6 sterilized jars that I preordered. after these are expired/used whatever comes first, I will be using grain soak water for my agar recipe.  This takes patience but happy to at least see some mycelium in grain jar, really cool to look at in person!  Also im in desert climate(super dry)- am afraid when I get to fruiting process and also these jars I have now if they are drying out and going bad.  if anyone has experience cultivating in desert climate, would love to hear some feedback/tips. Thanks!

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules, Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Injection Ports, Petri Dish, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started