Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDrZero
Stranger

Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? * 1
    #26647883 - 05/04/20 09:37 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Hey All,

Came across this paper this morning and there could be potential here for substrate amendments using peanuts as a natural way to fight Trich infections. Would be interested to learn if anyone has tried anything like this.

Quick edit here in case people don't want to actually read through the paper. The researchers isolated and cultured Bacillus amyloliquefaciens from peanuts and tested against a couple of different strains of Trich and in presence of oyster mushroom mycelium. Results showed significant inhibition of trich growth without harm to mycelial growth. What I'm wondering is if you could just add peanuts to bulk substrate (without pasteurization)... or do the risks of adding other contaminants outweigh the benefits? It's possible that peanuts would also add nutrients to the mix. I'm sure someone skilled in the way of agar work could repeat the isolation of Bacillus amyloliquefaciens and add that to bulk substrate to see if it has any affect on psilocybe growth.

Edited by DrZero (05/04/20 10:00 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenormalperson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: DrZero]
    #26648339 - 05/04/20 01:07 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

The best way to fight Trich is with clean spawn. a few peanuts in your grains wouldn't hurt anything but could be a launchpad for contaminations in your substrate.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: normalperson]
    #26648553 - 05/04/20 03:26 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

No dude. An ounce of prevention is worth way more than a pound of "cure" besides the peanuts would become a contamination vector for some different grow killing mold

--------------------
Welcome to the Advanced Mycology Forum

Bod's Library    Article behind a paywall? I can try to get it for you

OfflinePliny_the_Elder
Stranger

Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26648622 - 05/04/20 04:11 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

You can buy that strain of Bacillus as a product called Hydroguard, meant for maintaining healthy roots in a hydroponic system. I may I'll try it next time I get an outbreak.

OfflinePinkStormtrooper
Jet-Puffed

Loc: 10001110101 Flag
Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: Pliny_the_Elder]
    #26648694 - 05/04/20 04:51 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

peanuts are in the WBS I use - so far so good.

--------------------
"say, you got a little astroglide on your moustache"

Invisiblepanne cyanne
albino queen
Female

Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: PinkStormtrooper]
    #26650118 - 05/05/20 08:55 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

i bet you could agar sample a peanut packing plant and find trich.
i think aspergillus is common contaminate of peanuts also.
among other things.

as an anti biotic answer
id have my doubts in the concentrations and distribution used for a bulk

Edited by panne cyanne (05/05/20 08:58 AM)

OfflineDrZero
Stranger

Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: normalperson]
    #26650159 - 05/05/20 09:25 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I think preventative measures is what I'm getting at, particularly if you are in an area where your grows are susceptible to trich contamination. As far as being a vector for other unwanted growths I was just reading another paper about Bacillus bacteria. They studied various strains and affect of temperature and found that spore death temperatures were in the range of 194°F to 250°F. Since most substrates are pasteurized at 140°F-175°F, it makes it a far better candidate for investigation. Not saying that "sterile" procedure can be done away with, but without a proper lab you can only be so sterile. Additionally, for those who have experienced trich it's extremely difficult to get rid of in the environment and chances for continued infection remain high. Just an idea, but again worth investigating further.

Edited by DrZero (05/05/20 09:39 AM)

Invisiblepanne cyanne
albino queen
Female

#26650409 - 05/05/20 11:11 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

i wonder if the downstream consumers with peanut allergies would find this a minefield?

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #26650429 - 05/05/20 11:20 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DrZero said:
I think preventative measures is what I'm getting at, particularly if you are in an area where your grows are susceptible to trich contamination. As far as being a vector for other unwanted growths I was just reading another paper about Bacillus bacteria. They studied various strains and affect of temperature and found that spore death temperatures were in the range of 194°F to 250°F. Since most substrates are pasteurized at 140°F-175°F, it makes it a far better candidate for investigation. Not saying that "sterile" procedure can be done away with, but without a proper lab you can only be so sterile. Additionally, for those who have experienced trich it's extremely difficult to get rid of in the environment and chances for continued infection remain high. Just an idea, but again worth investigating further.

Trich is everywhere. Every breath of air you take in has trich spores

Its really absolutely no problem to keep growing in a place you had a trich problem. You don't even need to clean. You just need to prepare good jars.

It's not hard to get rid of. Its not going to ruin your grow space. Trich in the environment isn't even really a vector to your grows. Once spawn is fully colonised its contamination resistant enough that you can spawn to bulk with bare unwashed hands with no contamination risk.

Everyone's experienced trich.

--------------------

Offline24sevenZed
~Z3D3Z~
I'm a teapot

Loc: CYBERSPACE
Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26651275 - 05/05/20 05:13 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Of course preventing Trich is the proper goal if you actually want mushrooms. But still I’m thinking flip this idea on it’s head and ask: if you have ideas like this about controlling Trich or other organisms, and you are still practicing sterile procedure, how would you know that your idea actually worked?

I think you would need to deliberately infect your spawn with Trich in order to test that theory somehow.

So - should you just buy some Trich? I know it’s used for plant growth enhancement, but that might not be the same species that’s giving you problems - right? Should you start a slant of your trich bombs
and run them later? Can you just slurry a plate of trichoderma, toss it in a spray bottle and get to work infecting your spawn?

And so on and so forth. Perhaps the linked paper gave some examples and I should actually read it.

OfflineDrZero
Stranger

Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: 24sevenZed]
    #26651604 - 05/05/20 08:07 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Ha! The paper does actually infect agar plates with trich in presence of both mycelium and Bacillus with positive results. I am interested in bacillus in the presence of cubensis myceluim. Would it compete for nutrients, i.e. does it affect grow time or yield? Anyways, these are just the fine details of basic science. I may run some agar to check it out for myself. I also saw a bunch of papers that were using waste (pea)nut shells as a substrate base (which sell for $20/ton from nut farmers) for commercial mushrooms. Not sure if it works better for wood loving species or would be suitable for cubensis grows. Lots of questions to be answered, but maybe some potential as well. Asking questions is what leads to improvement in methods... continuing to use the "tried and true" methods = no improvements. Happy to have some failed experiments if it definitively answers some of these questions.

Invisiblepanne cyanne
albino queen
Female

#26653452 - 05/06/20 06:04 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

id have to see this and variables on peanut butter or peanut shell agar to assess how practical it is.

OfflinePinkStormtrooper
Jet-Puffed

Loc: 10001110101 Flag
Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: panne cyanne]
    #26654401 - 05/07/20 04:55 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

kind of a wet lookin picture in there but

myc on a peanut

all I got

oh also sunflower seedlins

--------------------
"say, you got a little astroglide on your moustache"

Edited by PinkStormtrooper (05/08/20 05:04 AM)

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: PinkStormtrooper] * 1
    #26654403 - 05/07/20 05:00 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Willing to bet more than a lot of people have gotten trich on peanuts in wbs too

--------------------

Invisiblepanne cyanne
albino queen
Female

#26655631 - 05/07/20 05:21 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

not sure i would do a peanut shell monotub.
but, i can see where a peanut shell extract might work with agar as an inhibitor.

Offlinenormalperson
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Adding peanuts to bulk substrate as a method to fight Trich? [Re: panne cyanne]
    #26656754 - 05/08/20 07:10 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

every time i  spawn to bulk i introduce trich spores into my grow, a bunch of other crap also. clean spawn and a coir sub are all i need for 2 or 3 good flushes.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom